Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times

Advertisements

Are expensive skin care products really worth it?

Lines like Dr. Denese, Jo Malone, Perricone, Kiehl, and others I can't think of....(I don't shop at that price point so most names I don't even know)
I was in Nordstrom the other day and saw some skin lotion that was $160 a bottle. I was like -- there is no lotion in the WORLD worth that? Am I wrong?

I've bought lotion ranging from the Dollar Store...to L'Occitane....to scrubs and masks I've picked up at destination spas (that's mostly because I was on vacation and felt like a treat)...but all still 15.00 and below.

And the older I get, the LOWER my price point goes...now it's 10 bucks at TJ Maxx or $5.00 with a coupon at CVS for Healing Garden

ALSO, although, I wasn't initially talking about MAKE-UP -- just lotions, scrubs, masks, eye creams, cleansers, that kind of thing -- I guess the same could be asked about make-up. For me, Clinique and Lancome as as "high end" as I get. And lately I've been just going for higher-quality drugstore brands. $30 for lipstick at Sephora is NOT for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,151,738 times
For me it's a maybe. I might try the expensive version and read the ingredients and find a cheaper alternative with the same ingredients -- if it works.

I swear by CeraVe, a drugstore moisturizer, and their cleanser. It has niacinamide and peptides and ceramides that are supposed to heal your skin. I have rosacea, and weird what I call dry to normal skin so this stuff works for me. AND I have an allergy to soy in skin products.

I like to use a toner -- non alcohol version, that I spray onto my skin. I do not rub my face at all -- no cotton balls scrubbing my tender skin. To me, a toner seems to make my skin soak in the moisturizer. The one I like the best is MD Formulations -- it has antioxidants in it, which is one thing the CeraVe lacks.

I use ROC Deep Correxxion -- a retinol cream, but only in between my eyes where those awful wretched wrinkles were.... they are almost gone.

Now with makeup....I'm discovering that high end stuff seems to be a bit better. I'm pale, and cool toned, and a lot of drug store makeup seems very yellow on me, and if you can find cool tones, it's pink. And I don't like a foundation foundation -- I like the base that a tinted moisturizer gives. I like the Tarte Smooth Operator. I put a tiny amount on my fingers spread it on my fingers and pat it onto my face. The drug store make up I don't mind is that CoverGirl Natureluxe one. And pretty much everyone says it's a very light coverage. To me, it's medium coverage, but it does go on well, with a minimum of rubbing --patting doesn't work with this, it dries too quickly.

Nars for blush because they have COLORS and those colors actually show up on your skin! Powder blush is the only powder that I use because once again -- I can't rub my face to apply cream blush.

I'm not a fan of lipstick, but I do like Burt's Bees lip shimmers.

I just tried the Benefit mascara They're Real. Love the mascara -- washes off with soap and water, and it really does curl my lashes! But I hate hate hate the brush. It's one of those bizarre rubber brushes so the mascara is glopped on....

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,744,562 times
I haven't experimented enough to discern. I have a dark skin tone with warm undertones, so finding my shade is challenge enough. Many of the darker options have a blue undertone, and I am more orange/yellow in tone. So once I find I good match for powder/foundation I just stick with it, no matter the cost (I was really sad when they closed Prescriptives).

I have tried a few department store serums, and realized I was just too cheap for that. So I went back to the drugstore and use lots of Boots products. They are working better than Clinique for me.

I am also trying to convert to natural healthcare. So I have been alternating toner with orange blossom water from the Middle Eastern section at the grocery store. Next I need to find some avocado oil. But at the high-end, I was really happy with Caulidie. Unfortunately the packaging for their cleansing water wasn't conducive to refilling or putting in a travel pack, so I needed to find something else.

So to day I use Boots and Melvita mostly.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,041,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I use ROC Deep Correxxion -- a retinol cream, but only in between my eyes where those awful wretched wrinkles were.... they are almost gone.
I "discovered" ROC in 2001 while living in Europe and I have not stopped using since. I have used almost everything in the line, and I am pleased with them all. One thing though, I am not certain if it's only in my imagination, but it seems to me that the ROC I used in Europe was a whole lot more effective than the one in the States. Could it be that there are certain ingredients that are not allowed or only allowed in lower dosage in the States? OTOH, perhaps it's simply that I am 11 years older now than when I first used it, and that's why it does not work as well as it used to. Either way, I will continue to use it.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM

I guess at the heart of it I think that a lotion is a lotion, a scrub is a scrub, a mask is a mask...Im not sure they're NOT interchangeable (within their own category).

For example what would Jo Malone. Perricone, and Dr Denese do, that Philosophy, Kiehl, Oil of Olay, St. Ives and Healing Garden, Physoderm, Neutrogena won't do.

I guess there's a difference between eye creams -- and facial cleansers -- but it's all skin care.

Anybody use Lush or Perlier?

While I loved the smell of a couple of Lush scrubs one was $35 the other was $20...for a hand body scrub?

Are we all suckers ...all I do is mostly rinse my face, 3 times a year I MIGHT use a scrub -- and people think I'm at least 10 years younger than I am.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Selhars, check out beautipedia -- it's a website run by Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop? she not only rates different products, she has a best product list and also has articles that tell you what ingredients do what.

With my soy allergy, I know to read all the labels, but also know to really really look at creams that "brighten" or "lighten" skin. Soy is almost always major ingredient. And soy really works and works well. But not for me.

And it's not that Perricone works better than Neutrogena, it's that it works for you because Perricone has an ingredient that Neutrogena doesn't have.... but maybe Olay has it.

We really have gone the way of "cosmecuticals", so we have to become our own skin "doctors". Identify what your concern is, do the research and buy the best formula for you... and I'd bet there's a drugstore formulation for it.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Hi Tallysmom. good to 'see' you

I was curious about what others thought. As I said other than rinsing my face and a scrub a few times a year I'm not really INTO skin care. I'm blessed with good genes. But I see people spending sooooo much money on this stuff...yikes. For me though. it's an impulse buy. I already have more lotions and scrubs than I could ever use (it's the hoarder in me) ....So even though I really liked those Lush scrubs couldn't bring myself to pay 35 and 20 bucks for something I might use every once in a while, and would basically just be added to a collection.

Hey, I'm trying to retire early in 10 years. I can't be spending money on stuff I KNOW I don't need. Not at THAT price point.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,744,562 times
I did buy a lush scrub once. And I was annoyed it didn't last very long. Then I decided to go back to making my own scrubs: coconut or olive oil, raw sugar, essential oils and vanilla extract.

Always readily available in my kitchen. I do buy midrange face scrubs. I don't buy fine enough sugar.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM

Yeah -- for me scrubs are out -- too harsh for my skin. I can remember when those poly poofs came out to use with body wash. I got one free with body wash somehow, and I used it lightly on my legs and the skin on my legs felt like it was on fire -- and that sensation lasted for a while.

I use a plain old washcloth and Olay soap... but not on my face -- just my fingers on my face.... I hate rosacea.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,415,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Selhars, check out beautipedia -- it's a website run by Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop? she not only rates different products, she has a best product list and also has articles that tell you what ingredients do what.

With my soy allergy, I know to read all the labels, but also know to really really look at creams that "brighten" or "lighten" skin. Soy is almost always major ingredient. And soy really works and works well. But not for me.

And it's not that Perricone works better than Neutrogena, it's that it works for you because Perricone has an ingredient that Neutrogena doesn't have.... but maybe Olay has it.

We really have gone the way of "cosmecuticals", so we have to become our own skin "doctors". Identify what your concern is, do the research and buy the best formula for you... and I'd bet there's a drugstore formulation for it.
I love her website and beautipedia. I used to buy all of the latest fads - pop $120 for a face cream from Estee Lauder, Clinique, whatever. Now I know what really works; what doesn't and I spend my money a lot more wisely. I do splurge on a few things - great moisturizer/sunscreen and a good foundation. But no longer do I run out and buy the latest fad in skin care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty