Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times

Advertisements

I've spent the first few hours of my Sunday morning reading the newspaper, drinking coffee on my patio, and thinking about going to the mall next week and finding a few new dress shirts and ties. I haven't bought new dress clothing in quite a while and I feel a lot of my wardrobe is getting stale, things I wear often are starting to show some wear and it might be time to update. Usually when I went shopping, my girlfriend (now ex-gf) was always along to point things out that were stylish and would fit my body type well. She was a grade-A b**** but she did always make sure I dressed to impress and now I need to go about that myself.

I have four primary suits that I alternate between; two dark navy blue suits, a black suit, and white suit. The white suit is primarily for summer days that I feel particularly adventuresome and wear it with pastel colors. The black suit is for the usual wedding/funeral/black-tie events where I need to be formal. The two navy-blue suits are my everyday go-to-work wear when I have business meetings or client meetings. All of my suits are Hugo Boss that I purchased on-sale and all look brand new. I find Hugo Boss suits work well for my body type; I'm 6'2" and very thin. I wear a 32" waist, 34" length in dress pant and wear a 38L suit-jacket that I had slightly altered for a bit better fit.

I'd like to get some new dress shirts as well as ties that I can mix and match with a navy blue suit with a very light pinstripe. Spread collar, tailored fit, french cuff shirts and a thick tie. I like the "power tie" colors; primarily very bright blues, reds, and golds. I'm not a fan of "muted colors" that have a more matte look, I'm an energetic person and like the color of ties to reflect that. Think Donald Trump more than Warren Buffett. Something conservative yet still bold and a bit excessive.

What are some good, tailored shirt brands that I should look into? Same goes for ties. Any suggestions appreciated!

Not wanting to spend a fortune on shirts/ties but will spend enough to get quality. I'm looking for more Ralph Lauren prices than I am Armani prices.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 09-23-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
My husband likes Lands' End for shirts and ties... mainly because they have longer ties (he is 6'5") and longer sleeve lengths (his is 38").

Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Go to Nordstroms

Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
Hermes

Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Hermes
Umm, a guy asking for shopping advice is not going to stroll into Hermes...just sayin'

Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My husband likes Lands' End for shirts and ties... mainly because they have longer ties (he is 6'5") and longer sleeve lengths (his is 38").
I'd rather be able to try things on though, I'm more or less looking for brand recommendations than actual stores.

Quote:
Hermes
I think you missed where I said not extremely expensive.

Quote:
Umm, a guy asking for shopping advice is not going to stroll into Hermes...just sayin'
I can't afford the air in Hermes much less an article of clothing.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Brooks Brothers
Faconnable
Nordies usually has a decent selection.

I'm a tie snob though...Kiton, Brioni, Canali, Ferragamo and Hermes.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've spent the first few hours of my Sunday morning reading the newspaper, drinking coffee on my patio, and thinking about going to the mall next week and finding a few new dress shirts and ties. I haven't bought new dress clothing in quite a while and I feel a lot of my wardrobe is getting stale, things I wear often are starting to show some wear and it might be time to update. Usually when I went shopping, my girlfriend (now ex-gf) was always along to point things out that were stylish and would fit my body type well. She was a grade-A b**** but she did always make sure I dressed to impress and now I need to go about that myself.

I have four primary suits that I alternate between; two dark navy blue suits, a black suit, and white suit. The white suit is primarily for summer days that I feel particularly adventuresome and wear it with pastel colors. The black suit is for the usual wedding/funeral/black-tie events where I need to be formal. The two navy-blue suits are my everyday go-to-work wear when I have business meetings or client meetings. All of my suits are Hugo Boss that I purchased on-sale and all look brand new. I find Hugo Boss suits work well for my body type; I'm 6'2" and very thin. I wear a 32" waist, 34" length in dress pant and wear a 38L suit-jacket that I had slightly altered for a bit better fit.

I'd like to get some new dress shirts as well as ties that I can mix and match with a navy blue suit with a very light pinstripe. Spread collar, tailored fit, french cuff shirts and a thick tie. I like the "power tie" colors; primarily very bright blues, reds, and golds. I'm not a fan of "muted colors" that have a more matte look, I'm an energetic person and like the color of ties to reflect that. Think Donald Trump more than Warren Buffett. Something conservative yet still bold and a bit excessive.

What are some good, tailored shirt brands that I should look into? Same goes for ties. Any suggestions appreciated!

Not wanting to spend a fortune on shirts/ties but will spend enough to get quality. I'm looking for more Ralph Lauren prices than I am Armani prices.
I'm the last person to give fashion advice, but I recognized you from another forum! When the company I worked for went shirt-and-tie, I ended up on ebay for some ties. Some better brand names (a couple were mentioned above), clean, longer (if you need them longer), and I bought quite a few ties for pennies on the dollar. At a fee bucks a piece, I kept and used probably 4 out of 5 ties, and received a lot of compliments for them. Keep in mind that profit margins on clothing, especially designer labels, can be enormous. So paying $10 for a tie that retails for $50 is not uncommon.

Shirts, not so much. I'm a big guy and pretty much need to try on shirts or pants for individual fit, although when I needed a new wardrobe almost immediately I made a few good buys. You may consider having some tailored for you. They don't have to be hugely expensive.

There's my $.015. Not even two cents.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Men's Warehouse or Macys

Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Try Boss Black slim fit's. They seem to go on sale all the time at Bloomingdale's. If you don't mind shopping online give Charles Tyrwhitt a try (Men's dress shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt | CTShirts.com ) Their extra slim fits are spot on for my build and the fabric is outstanding for the price. Just fyi, French cuffs (and similarly styled contrast collars/cuffs) went out of fashion with power suits like 10 yrs ago. That kind of look is very Gordon Gekko Wall St from the 90's. While it's a very Donald Trump look, the trend now days is to mimic how Ryan Gosling wears his suits (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tLdDNOOCVH...suit%2B002.jpg ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty