Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times

Advertisements

No, the size of your bank account has nothing to do with it and whether your dressed in designer clothes.
It has everything to do with culture and values taught. My Irish grandmother always said "Never go to bed in rags.". She was not a wealthy woman - she was a widow left 6 children at home to raise.

Some people are raised with the value that one always be well groomed and clothing should be tailored and follow more tasteful, classic lines (e.g. pencil skirts, blouses with princess seams, polished shoes, starched collars, etc.). They believe in quality over quantity. I find this with mostly with my parent's generation regardless of money or class. It seems to be passed on less and less to the younger generation.

Others are not raised with this value regardless of wealth or class. I see what one would term the "new" rich and children of the old rich who dress poorly. In another forum I relayed a story about walking into a jewelry store in downtown Seattle a few years ago and the owner thought I was on my way to a wedding because he considered me to be dressed up. I was wearing a pencil skirt and button down blouse. He told me that Seattle is very casual and noted that he has millionaires that come in to buy very expensive jewelry but you would never have guessed they had that kind of money from the way they were dressed which he considered to he shabby.

Lastly, just buying designer brands and couture does not make you well-dressed - it's how your pull it together. Three perfect examples:

1. In the TV series Ugly Betty, the main character"s (Betty) clothing was actually high-end designer clothing costing thousand of dollars. The reason why it looked so bad on the character was because it was intentionally styled very poorly. The Wilhelmina Slater character often wore clothing that only cost a couple hundred dollars but was styled impeccably.

2. Real Housewives of New Jersey, Beverly Hills, and Orange County where most of the housewives look like they just finished working a shift at a strip club. Most of the clothing worn by these women costs thousands of dollars and proves that money can't buy you class or necessarily style.

3. The Posers who don't have the money to afford designer clothing and are financially overextended in order to create what they believe to an image of wealth. They'll buy anything that has that certain designer label regardless of whether it's stylish. It doesn't make them wealthy, in fact, it's making them poorer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 AM

309 posts, read 515,862 times
Shoegal,

Well said.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
No, the size of your bank account has nothing to do with it and whether your dressed in designer clothes.
It has everything to do with culture and values taught. My Irish grandmother always said "Never go to bed in rags.". She was not a wealthy woman - she was a widow left 6 children at home to raise.

Some people are raised with the value that one always be well groomed and clothing should be tailored and follow more tasteful, classic lines (e.g. pencil skirts, blouses with princess seams, polished shoes, starched collars, etc.). They believe in quality over quantity. I find this with mostly with my parent's generation regardless of money or class. It seems to be passed on less and less to the younger generation.

Others are not raised with this value regardless of wealth or class. I see what one would term the "new" rich and children of the old rich who dress poorly. In another forum I relayed a story about walking into a jewelry store in downtown Seattle a few years ago and the owner thought I was on my way to a wedding because he considered me to be dressed up. I was wearing a pencil skirt and button down blouse. He told me that Seattle is very casual and noted that he has millionaires that come in to buy very expensive jewelry but you would never have guessed they had that kind of money from the way they were dressed which he considered to he shabby.

Lastly, just buying designer brands and couture does not make you well-dressed - it's how your pull it together. Three perfect examples:

1. In the TV series Ugly Betty, the main character"s (Betty) clothing was actually high-end designer clothing costing thousand of dollars. The reason why it looked so bad on the character was because it was intentionally styled very poorly. The Wilhelmina Slater character often wore clothing that only cost a couple hundred dollars but was styled impeccably.

2. Real Housewives of New Jersey, Beverly Hills, and Orange County where most of the housewives look like they just finished working a shift at a strip club. Most of the clothing worn by these women costs thousands of dollars and proves that money can't buy you class or necessarily style.

3. The Posers who don't have the money to afford designer clothing and are financially overextended in order to create what they believe to an image of wealth. They'll buy anything that has that certain designer label regardless of whether it's stylish. It doesn't make them wealthy, in fact, it's making them poorer.
Great points. I am generally cheap, and pretty well dressed. Anyone who knows me will find out that all the stuff they are complimenting me on is from Target. (Or Kohls or Gap or Old Navy)

Occasionally I branch out into more expensive stuff, but I pretty much stop at $100 for anything. The clearance rack is your friend.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Warren Buffett, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates and Late Steve Jobs are wealthy. They wear modest clothes.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times
[quote=Info Guy;25400122]Warren Buffett, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates and Late Steve Jobs are wealthy. They wear modest clothes.[/QUOTE

Modest does not equate to cheap. Brooks Brothers clothing is very conservative/modest yet very expensive brand. Although I will give you that Mark Zuckerburg is probably not buying anything designer. He did after all wine and dine his new bride at McDonald's on their honeymoon.

Last edited by shoegal111; 07-30-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 AM

308 posts, read 897,006 times
West Coast (especially among IT companies) has extremely relaxed dress code, and people quite frankly get too comfortable looking like slobs.

the golden mean is somewhere in between - do stand out from the crowd, but not "look at me, I am a total douche" type of way. designer clothes do help in achieving that, but it all depends on individual's sense of style. I've seen absolutely atrocious desings even from the best of them... for instance, in my personal and probably a biased opinion, 90% of Versace and 80% of Marc Jacobs designs are complete garbage. especially the f-n Versace, hate it, hate hate hate.

Last edited by pzrOrange; 07-30-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

[quote=shoegal111;25401837]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Warren Buffett, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates and Late Steve Jobs are wealthy. They wear modest clothes.[/QUOTE

Modest does not equate to cheap. Brooks Brothers clothing is very conservative/modest yet very expensive brand. Although I will give you that Mark Zuckerburg is probably not buying anything designer. He did after all wine and dine his new bride at McDonald's on their honeymoon.

You mean it looks cheap but feels like a million dollar when you wear it?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
West Coast (especially among IT companies) has extremely relaxed dress code, and people quite frankly get too comfortable looking like slobs.

the golden mean is somewhere in between - do stand out from the crowd, but not "look at me, I am a total douche" type of way. designer clothes do help in achieving that, but it all depends on individual's sense of style. I've seen absolutely atrocious desings even from the best of them... for instance, in my personal and probably a biased opinion, 90% of Versace and 80% of Marc Jacobs designs are complete garbage. especially the f-n Versace, hate it, hate hate hate.

Some of those designer clothes are made in third world countries.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
If this thread draws you, this will interest you.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s...llionaire.html

Last edited by MOKAN; 07-31-2012 at 05:26 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Some of those designer clothes are made in third world countries.

Thereby ensuring that the cost of those clothes isn't even higher, and ensuring the company is profitable and continues to provide American white collar employees with jobs.

Look, we are an advanced economy who's comparative advantage IS NOT in manufacturing, but instead on financial services and technology. Countries focus on what they have an advantage in, and manufacturing is not America's strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty