Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
What's your definition of wealthy?
Sorry, I used "wealthy" in an imprecise sense to mean relatively high-income and/or high-wealth (assets-wise).

For the purposes of this thread, let's say that wealthy people have an income exceeding $100,000. This is higher than the median (50% above, 50% below) income of all but six counties:

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
True on the ostentation and also the "Jone's" points. As somebody coming from a working-class background though, we used to call identify good portions of the upper middle-class and middle-class as "yuppies", and one of the major aspects of being a yuppie was...dressing like a yuppie. Although the upper middle class may show off their house, their cars, their cabins, I don't think they, as a rule, have much obvious ostentation in their dress, at least not to the point where it is tacky (I'm thinking gold chains, brand names printed in big letters, and the like). Also, I think the upper middle class and the noveau riche need to be distinguished from one another - often the upper middle class has a history stretching back two or more generations of college graduation, etc., so they are socialized into the upper middle class by their parents. The noveau riche (or wealthy) do not have this opportunity.

As for the guy I mentioned, he lived with his mother free of charge. They actually have a term for young adults who forego education in preference or need for immediate employment and wealth: Gold-collar worker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Although this particular guy at the time had a decent-paying skilled construction job.
I tend to think of the nouveau riche as a faction of the upper-middle class, but with what you've said, I guess I realize a lot of them aren't necessarily upper-middle. I would agree that they are synonymous with "yuppies" (when it takes on a negative connotation). I should add it seems to me this group rose in the 1980's at a time when the economy was in full force changing from a time when the masses were high school educated manufacturing workers to a time where more and more people were going to college and working in offices and in semi-profesional/semi-white collar jobs. That newfound lifestyle seemed to have the same effect on society as a whole as it does on individuals who come into money. Which makes me think even more it's a phenomenon of human nature.

Oh, and that gold-collar bit is interesting. Sometimes I think of as restaurant servers as modern servants. Those that become snotty need to be reminded that they are basically servants. Of course, the butlers of the past are portrayed as being snooty, at least in TV shows and movies.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Sorry, I used "wealthy" in an imprecise sense to mean relatively high-income and/or high-wealth (assets-wise).

For the purposes of this thread, let's say that wealthy people have an income exceeding $100,000. This is higher than the median (50% above, 50% below) income of all but six counties:

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We have different perceptions of wealthy.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

Well you'd be really disappointed to see the "wealthy" people in the Bay Area. A lot of people make 100K. And lots of them do not look wealthy at all.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well you'd be really disappointed to see the "wealthy" people in the Bay Area. A lot of people make 100K. And lots of them do not look wealthy at all.
I can't afford to dress wealthy on $100K.

I don't judge wealth by net income but rather by net worth. You can make $500K/ year but if you spend $600K/ year...you most certainly aren't wealthy! But if you have a net worth of over $20 million...I'd consider that about the threshold between upper-middle class and wealthy.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I can't afford to dress wealthy on $100K.

I don't judge wealth by net income but rather by net worth. You can make $500K/ year but if you spend $600K/ year...you most certainly aren't wealthy! But if you have a net worth of over $20 million...I'd consider that about the threshold between upper-middle class and wealthy.
At $100K, you should be able to dress however you please. IMO, all you need to dress wealthy is Levi's or maybe RL or other mid-level department store jeans and slacks and similar shirts, tailored if needbe, a nice belt and nice loafers, and a nice watch. Brooks Brothers or JCrew for suits and sportcoats, depending on whether your dress is more conservative/older or modern/younger. Of course, nice loafers can cost $500 but they last for years. Same with jackets. Of course, that 18K gold Rolex Day-Date will come in at $30K. Haha. But it's an awesome watch and will last forever, you can pass it onto a son. Your definition of middle-class is crazy. I think once you can live comfortably and travel the world while not having to work, you are upper-class. Of course, I don't think upper-class necessarily means you can afford a yacht and crew or mansions in multiple locations. That's uber-wealthy. I read in Forbes there are only 6000 privately owned 80 ft-plus yachts in the world. Romney must not have one, otherwise the haters would have made it known by now.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
At $100K, you should be able to dress however you please. IMO, all you need to dress wealthy is Levi's or maybe RL or other mid-level department store jeans and slacks and similar shirts, tailored if needbe, a nice belt and nice loafers, and a nice watch. Brooks Brothers or JCrew for suits and sportcoats, depending on whether your dress is more conservative/older or modern/younger. Of course, nice loafers can cost $500 but they last for years. Same with jackets. Of course, that 18K gold Rolex Day-Date will come in at $30K. Haha. But it's an awesome watch and will last forever, you can pass it onto a son. Your definition of middle-class is crazy. I think once you can live comfortably and travel the world while not having to work, you are upper-class. Of course, I don't think upper-class necessarily means you can afford a yacht and crew or mansions in multiple locations. That's uber-wealthy. I read in Forbes there are only 6000 privately owned 80 ft-plus yachts in the world. Romney must not have one, otherwise the haters would have made it known by now.
What I meant by "dress wealthy" is buying high-end name brands from Armani to Gucci to Ferragamo. This is my definition of clothing that someone who wanted to appear wealthy (whether true or not) would buy.

Jeans? Wranglers
Suits? Hugo Boss make wonderful suits for the price
Loafers? YUCK, wouldn't catch me DEAD in loafers. I'll take my alligator skin cowboy boots.
Watch? I like the Day-Date but I prefer to wear my understated Submariner. However all of us kids bought my dad a Day-Date for his 70th birthday.

At $100K, you're solidly middle-class. I wouldn't even consider that type of salary upper-middle class. Take home pay would be somewhere around $6500-$7000/ month which is FAR from being anywhere near upper-class. Hell once most people factor in mortgage payments, car payments, credit card debt, living expenses, other bills...I wouldn't be surprised if they had less than a grand left over to save or invest.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
What I meant by "dress wealthy" is buying high-end name brands from Armani to Gucci to Ferragamo. This is my definition of clothing that someone who wanted to appear wealthy (whether true or not) would buy.

Jeans? Wranglers
Loafers? YUCK, wouldn't catch me DEAD in loafers. I'll take my alligator skin cowboy boots.
Watch? I like the Day-Date but I prefer to wear my understated Submariner. However all of us kids bought my dad a Day-Date for his 70th birthday.

At $100K, you're solidly middle-class. I wouldn't even consider that type of salary upper-middle class. Take home pay would be somewhere around $6500-$7000/ month which is FAR from being anywhere near upper-class. Hell once most people factor in mortgage payments, car payments, credit card debt, living expenses, other bills...I wouldn't be surprised if they had less than a grand left over to save or invest.
Yup so true. All the 6 figure people I know are hanging out over in the "regular" stores: h&m, ann taylor, macy's, occasionally nordstroms, kohl's, target.....

Some of them do have more higher end accessories than others....but no one is sporting Rolexes. Maybe Movado.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Jeans? Wranglers

How you dress, the fact that you know a thing or 2 about fashion, and that you're defying stereotypes and being yourself is awesome. We need more people like you where I live to put the hateful and judgemental naysaying sheep in their place.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
What about halloween costumes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty