U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
 
5,085 posts, read 6,155,519 times
Reputation: 7474

Advertisements

I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.

 
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 4,044,898 times
Reputation: 2181
^^^ITA!!!

Thats stupid.
You don't get "buried" with those things when you die...
I'd rather invest in things I can bring with me to my grave... like good food & great memories.
 
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,895 posts, read 5,331,806 times
Reputation: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
Those are very rare examples of stupid people who have fallen for the successful marketing of high-end items and feel that they NEED them much more than covering their own basic needs. Most people that I know who are actually on limited incomes buy most of their clothes (yes, even good brands) from thrift stores or eBay at a small fraction of the original price.

But keep in mind that NOBODY, regardless of income, needs a $1200 purse. What you need is something that will hold the stuff you need to carry with you. In all honesty, a $10 handbag from Walmart would do the job, it's just not as pretty or pretentious as a LV or Spade bag.
 
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
 
5,085 posts, read 6,155,519 times
Reputation: 7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Those are very rare examples of stupid people who have fallen for the successful marketing of high-end items and feel that they NEED them much more than covering their own basic needs. Most people that I know who are actually on limited incomes buy most of their clothes (yes, even good brands) from thrift stores or eBay at a small fraction of the original price.

But keep in mind that NOBODY, regardless of income, needs a $1200 purse. What you need is something that will hold the stuff you need to carry with you. In all honesty, a $10 handbag from Walmart would do the job, it's just not as pretty or pretentious as a LV or Spade bag.
Granted nobody needs a $1200 purse, but if you're pretty well off with lots of expendable income and want to treat yourself, then I see no harm. The same way a successfull man goes out and buys himself a porsche to drive on the wknds. Does he "need" one? Of course not. If you have the money to buy one as a gift to yourself, then I dont see any harm in it as long as you can easily afford it. Unlike some people who go out and finance a high end car and can barely make the payments.
 
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Austin
2,163 posts, read 2,936,527 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
People don't typically understand what the term "your means" is, so this is fairly rampant.
Then are the folks who make tons of money and still insist on shopping thrift.

I don't understand the mentaility either, but if I were to guess, I would say they do it because they assume the only way to have friends and a valuable life is to make others think they have status.
I have never thought more of someone or been close to them simply because they are sporting a gucci bag...
 
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,387,833 times
Reputation: 19171
You don't know that she is actually going to buy a real bag vs a knock-off and just wants her friends to think she has the money.
 
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Toledo
3,856 posts, read 7,691,162 times
Reputation: 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You don't know that she is actually going to buy a real bag vs a knock-off and just wants her friends to think she has the money.
^
This! I'm willing to bet that 9 times out of 10 those bags were actually knock-offs.

Last edited by yayoi; 05-03-2012 at 01:01 PM..
 
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,464,296 times
Reputation: 1322
I don't understand it either...

I know a girl who took her mother and family (like 20 people) out for her mother's birthday and spend around $1K. Then the next week she asked her mother to borrow money to pay her rent!!!

LOL... That is the definition of someone living beyond her means! funny.
 
Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
 
Location: ATL suburb
1,366 posts, read 3,742,563 times
Reputation: 1553
Because its a "status symbol" and some people in these situations need to feel like they are "somebody." And not just low income people have this problem.
 
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM
 
4,338 posts, read 6,742,294 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
They are trying to keep up with Jones'.

Posers.

Trying to someone they are not.

Pretending to be rich.

Lack of education, probably has a kid or two with father paying child support.

This is their problem.

That is why they are poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top