Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This likely has more to do with the constantly increasing average size of the population.
That might have something to with it, but there are a lot of women who think, "I wouldn't walk out the the mailbox in my bra and panties, so why would I want to go to the beach/pool with my friends and family and wear practically the same thing?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
It will move with society's acceptance. There are many variations of things that can happen, but we can't predict the future. Of course this isn't a bad thing, as we're not born with clothes on. You should try going to a nude beach, it's very liberating.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I don't think there's any one trend. For every sheer top trend, where you have to wear a camisole or tank under something to not be obscene, there's also a maxi dress type trend, babydoll/empire-waist trend, where the female form is concealed in various ways.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
With Islam increasing in numbers and influence I would (sadly) expect women will eventually not be allowed to wear revealing dress.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I think it's getting more modest.... the girls I see are layering and wearing tights underneath shorts and skirts, with long tanktops underneath shirts to cover everything up. Every once in a while I'll see a girl wearing something completely odd (I was at Target yesterday and saw a girl wearing uggs, super short pajama shorts rolled down and a loose cropped t shirt that showed her bra) but in general, everyone is pretty covered up.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
With Islam increasing in numbers and influence I would (sadly) expect women will eventually not be allowed to wear revealing dress.
Not in USA.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Re modesty and "appropriateness"

-- Parent friends of mine with pre-teen and young teen daughters are aghast at not being able to find modest school clothing for their daughters. They don't want them looking like Brittany Spears.

-- I, myself, am aghast at what I see older teen and young women wearing. I've always been overweight, and was raised that what others wear, you just can't wear it won't 'look' nice." It didn't kill my self esteem. I just knew big girls can't wear things that might be as tight/fitted or short as others.

But today, young girls wear tight. low-cut tops, boobs hanging out, side and stomach rolls showing, hips jiggling.
Where the heck are their parents?

But when the MOM is showing HER 'muffin top" and making a joke about it.....what can we expect.

-- Then you have the 55-60 year old woman, who dresses like she's 30. I saw one the other day in downtown DC. A CLEARLY middle-aged woman in an upper/mid-thigh skirt, low cut top, suit jacket, nice jewelry. She was obviously a nicely dressed businesswoman alright, but AGE appropriate ..I don't think so.

-- Lastly, there's the 55-60 year old WIFE (or girlfriend) who's perhaps dressing young for the hubby....not a pretty sight, IMO.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
I hate clothes. I'd go nude if i could.

I hate shoes especially.

Obviously in public i have to cover up certain areas, but no more underwear, socks, and very light footwear since i've retired lol.

(let me add - i DO NOT wear skirts)

Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It will move with society's acceptance. There are many variations of things that can happen, but we can't predict the future. Of course this isn't a bad thing, as we're not born with clothes on. You should try going to a nude beach, it's very liberating.
I agree. People might love their own bodies more, and even be less judgemental of others also.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's what I know -- about 5 or 6 years ago, most bras were simple cotton or microfiber cups. Not sheer, but usually one layer, and when it was chilly you knew women had nipples.

Then came "petals" -- silicone coverings for your nipples... to prevent "embarrassing" showthrough.

Now try to find one that doesn't have the "modesty" lining, which is foam padding. Jeez, I hate those things. I'm big enough without a layer of foam.
I think that is due to cotton becoming more $$$ and fabrics getting thinner in general. I hate ones without foam though because I love thin t-shirts. Its a dangerous relationship with an unlined bra. Could cause car wrecks and all.LOL Be careful.

I find the unlined all the time though. Victoria Secret has a whole section of them. Most sites do have that "unlined" option if you hate VS. Look for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty