Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times

Advertisements

I love Eshakti and buy my dresses from there. I love customizing my dresses and the website allows you to literally create a dress for incredible prices.

eShakti - Shop Women

There's always deals and I think you'll get a discount as a first time customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Very nice websites!

But why do they think "large" women want their breasts hanging out? Seems like you can't win!

I am at an in-between phase. I am big in the waist/stomach area, but fairly average in legs, arms, etc. If I get something big enough to go over my stomach, the legs and arms are like flags flapping in the breeze! For pants, I wear elastic-waist, and can thus wear a smaller size. I've given up on zip up pants! I also refuse to wear a girdle, control top panty hose, etc. I refuse to be strangled by my clothes!

But finding a dress---either too loose, or my breasts hanging out (Hey, I hate the term boobs) I really like the suggestion of a bridal store, perhaps a mother-of-the-bride dress would fit nicely, and they do alterations. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
ASOS Curve

If you are under size 18-20 try Dorothy Perkins

And try Very.com they hae a plus section, and a lot os stuff goes up to UK22 (US 18 or 20)

www.eloquii.com

And check out Nordstroms.
I second Asos Curve. It's also awesome that they have free shipping.

Plus Size Dresses, Designer Plus Size Clothing, Wedding Dresses by IGIGI has a lot of elegant, special occasion dresses. They also make their dresses here in the United States.

Talbots has a plus-size section as well.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Very nice websites!

But why do they think "large" women want their breasts hanging out? Seems like you can't win!

I am at an in-between phase. I am big in the waist/stomach area, but fairly average in legs, arms, etc. If I get something big enough to go over my stomach, the legs and arms are like flags flapping in the breeze! For pants, I wear elastic-waist, and can thus wear a smaller size. I've given up on zip up pants! I also refuse to wear a girdle, control top panty hose, etc. I refuse to be strangled by my clothes!

But finding a dress---either too loose, or my breasts hanging out (Hey, I hate the term boobs) I really like the suggestion of a bridal store, perhaps a mother-of-the-bride dress would fit nicely, and they do alterations. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh definitely try eshakti: it is perfect for you! You can get them to customize the measurements for a nominal fee.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Very nice websites!

Well now you're just whining for whining's sake. There are a variety of styles available in different levels of sexiness. Just because you see a dress that isn't your style doesn't mean that all dresses or even most dresses are the same. I've heard every contradictory complaint from plus size women, all the clothes are too big, too tight, too sexy, too frumpy, too short, too long, and why oh why doesn't this particular article of clothing happen to fit my exact proportions? Shopping is work, whether you're big or little or tall or short and having a pitiful attitude isn't going to make it any easier.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Igigi and Kyonna have nice clothes. They actually look nice when they arrive also.

I ordered a dress from Woman Within last year that looked like it had sequin trim. When I got it, it had squares of plastic stickers that were made to look like large sequins...not something I could wear to a formal event. I had to buy some heavy satin and sew it over the sequin-sticker areas. Even worse, I got a million catalogs from different plus-size places, as a result of ordering once from woman within.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Igigi and Kyonna have nice clothes. They actually look nice when they arrive also.

I ordered a dress from Woman Within last year that looked like it had sequin trim. When I got it, it had squares of plastic stickers that were made to look like large sequins...not something I could wear to a formal event. I had to buy some heavy satin and sew it over the sequin-sticker areas. Even worse, I got a million catalogs from different plus-size places, as a result of ordering once from woman within.
I know! I ordered a slip. Ugh!!!! They send a catalog every week! What is wrong with them wasting all of that paper.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Very nice websites!

If it's for a Summer affair/event, another great clothing line is Flax Designs. The sizing is very figure flattering (sizing goes from petite to Generous)without revealing too much. Absolutely love the feel of linen. I wash my items, line dry, then follow up with a quick touch with an iron.

I buy alot of pieces from Flax Clothing For Women | Generous & Standard Sizes | FLAXgirl and there are several small boutiques around the country that carry the Flax line.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
I actually have decent luck getting plus-size clothes on eBay.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
FLAX makes great womens stuff-maybe a bit casual for your party but checjk it out. Land's End has some really cute plus size dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty