Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times

Advertisements

I have to agree that it's a matter of decorum and respect being shown to God. It's how you present yourself to God. However, if that's all you've got to wear, the fact that you're there is all that matters. My personal opinion is that if an outfit is appropriate to wear to the beach, it's not appropriate to wear to church.

Our church holds 3 different services. Early Sunday morning, which is mainly elderly, more formally dressed folks, a mid morning "contemporary" service, which is much more casual in both worship style and dress, often you will see people in shorts, and a main Sunday service which is more of a traditional style church service. People at that will be dressed in anything from suits and dresses to more casual slacks and polos for men and casual pants and tops for women and occasionally you will see someone in jeans. Often, what I see is really business casual. They really try to offer something to suit everyone.

Also, when I lived in Houston, our church there would typically have casual summers. This would typically be Memorial Day to Labor Day. Dress was more casual because no one wanted to have to put on a suit and tie or a dressy dress with pantyhose when it was 100 degrees outside with 100% humidity. As the years passed, those casual summers went longer and longer, since God knows, summer in Houston does not end at Labor Day nor does it wait to begin at Memorial day. Eventually we were just dressing more casual year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I have to agree that it's a matter of decorum and respect being shown to God. It's how you present yourself to God. However, if that's all you've got to wear, the fact that you're there is all that matters. My personal opinion is that if an outfit is appropriate to wear to the beach, it's not appropriate to wear to church.

Our church holds 3 different services. Early Sunday morning, which is mainly elderly, more formally dressed folks, a mid morning "contemporary" service, which is much more casual in both worship style and dress, often you will see people in shorts, and a main Sunday service which is more of a traditional style church service. People at that will be dressed in anything from suits and dresses to more casual slacks and polos for men and casual pants and tops for women and occasionally you will see someone in jeans. Often, what I see is really business casual. They really try to offer something to suit everyone.

Also, when I lived in Houston, our church there would typically have casual summers. This would typically be Memorial Day to Labor Day. Dress was more casual because no one wanted to have to put on a suit and tie or a dressy dress with pantyhose when it was 100 degrees outside with 100% humidity. As the years passed, those casual summers went longer and longer, since God knows, summer in Houston does not end at Labor Day nor does it wait to begin at Memorial day. Eventually we were just dressing more casual year round.

Perfect example of "Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile."

As for all the people who aver that "God doesn't care what you wear", I'm not sure how they know that. Since I don't know of my own personal knowledge what God thinks, I'm not taking any chances.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
[/b]

Perfect example of "Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile."

As for all the people who aver that "God doesn't care what you wear", I'm not sure how they know that. Since I don't know of my own personal knowledge what God thinks, I'm not taking any chances.
Same for me. Even when we did casual summers, I still dressed respectably and conservatively. And more than once, I sent my kids back upstairs to put on something besides cargo shorts.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

I hope you were trying to make some sort of joke there. Just about every thread, on this board and every other one, is full of posts saying "I'm right, and you're wrong and this is what you should be doing." Telling other people what to do isn't a christian thing, it's a human thing.
No joke at all

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
No joke at all
Then you are an embarrassment to the nonchristian community.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Then you are an embarrassment to the nonchristian community.
Are you the spokesperson for the entire non Christian community?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Are you the spokesperson for the entire non Christian community?
Yup.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
Sorry I dont buy your post.... but it does make a great fiction story.
Don't buy if it you must, but I have seen similar things with my own eyes. Heck, if it happens in court rooms on a daily basis, then I can and does happen everywhere else including church.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
It might be regional, but I wouldn't say it's a new trend. As far as I can remember, lots of young women would show up to church in high heels, tight dresses, skirts with a slit to the upper thigh, low-cut blouses, spaghetti straps, etc. Some folks objected to it while others would just ignore it...or leer.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Yup.

You need to learn about skyclad then. Nobody worries about the wrong sort of shoes and such trivial nonsense that you guys are all snarking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty