Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Here is your easy-read guide, start reading.

Dialectical materialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i have no interest in psycho-babble. thanks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i have no interest in psycho-babble. thanks though.
Ha, I see your lack of education. Next thread: Why Americans think they're smart, yet so uneducated. Because you know, you're thread is "psychological" and "sociological" (not psycho) in nature; it should be addressed as such.

As you say...

Quote:
Youre side stepping the question

Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Whatever dude. Never said i was smart or educated. Just not into being a wordsmith or becoming the next Sigmund Freud. Not everyone in here went to an ivy league college. Lets try to keep things in layman's terms. Ok?

As for my education, there's street smarts and book smarts. Id rather have street smarts. Ultimately though id like to think we'd all do better if we all just had common sense.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
From a historical perspective I think people have the opportunity to, and do, exercise their individuality, more so than in the past.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Seriously....have we lost the ability to decide if we like something or not? Not just for clothes but in everything. Are we all just blindly stumbling along following the proverbial crowd? Or is it that we never had the ability?
If you have to ask..then the answer is Yes. You guys have definitely lost the ability to think for "yourselves".

Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Whatever dude. Never said i was smart or educated. Just not into being a wordsmith or becoming the next Sigmund Freud. Not everyone in here went to an ivy league college. Lets try to keep things in layman's terms. Ok?

As for my education, there's street smarts and book smarts. Id rather have street smarts. Ultimately though id like to think we'd all do better if we all just had common sense.
You know it is possible to have both, right?

If you wanted to really find the answer, you would move further past poorly constructed analogies and metaphors.. into actual critical thinking (that's street smarts, by the way).

Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Ha, I see your lack of education. Next thread: Why Americans think they're smart, yet so uneducated. Because you know, you're thread is "psychological" and "sociological" (not psycho) in nature; it should be addressed as such.

As you say...
*your*

Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 AM

The thread isnt about finding the answer its about finding out what everyone thinks. Everyone feels differently even you. Only difference is your opinion hurts my head. Oh well youve the right to post your opinion even if one has to strain to understand it (sort of like watching a British movie).

And some of us dont wish to be geniuses. Not into having my cake and eating it too.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
*your*
Damn.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
The first rule for understanding the human condition is that men live in second-hand worlds. They are aware of much more than they have personally experienced; and their own experience is always indirect. The quality of their lives is determined by meanings they have received from others. Everyone lives in a world of such meanings. No man stands alone directly confronting a world of solid fact. No such world is available. . . .

In their everyday life they do not experience a world of solid fact; their experience itself is selected by stereotyped meanings and shaped by ready-made interpretations. Their images of the world, and of themselves, are given to them by crowds of witnesses they have never met and shall never meet. Yet for ever man these images - provided by strangers and dead men - are the basis of his life as a human being.

http://www.manasjournal.org/pdf_libr...71/XXIV-51.pdf

/end thread
There was a documentary I saw forever ago...I think it was "Helvetica"

Whatever it was, the point is:they exposed these artists to certain visuals along the way to a creative meeting, stimulating similar if not identical visual creations from different artists.

I mean I know everyone pulls a bit from somewhere but that experiment made me chuckle.

I think even on a deeper rooted level we gravitate or repel from ideas, designs, and people because of learned behavior that is just instinct. On a really low level thinking if a guy was going to choose a girl to date he would pick the healthy girl next door vs. the crackhead down the street with mystery sores. It is a self preservation instinct to avoid possible disease coupled with modern logic.

I think the second hand experience is what makes people just go static and copy. Its just too much exposure to various things so the human will pick whatever is going with the masses for safety. Any animal that is shown to be different from a herd is usually ostracized or killed. I think through time we know this and most don't dare to test the waters on that one. It can get nasty. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty