U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM

11,250 posts, read 13,259,394 times

Advertisements

Are there some kind of "rules" regarding matching the colors of ties to clothing?

It seems like red is used with pretty much anything, so I assume that is always a safe choice. (Maybe maroon also?) But what if you are wearing a blue jacket versus a black one, for example? If there are other colors within the tie, do they need to match the jacket? It doesn't seem like a red/black striped tie would match a blue jacket, but I am not too sure.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM

81,041 posts, read 74,209,345 times
With a blue jacket, wear red and blue patterned tie.(Maroon is also "red".) With a black jacket, something with some gold in it, like maybe red and gold, or red/gold/black. Green/black would work with black. Maybe something with grey would work with black. Is this for conservative business attire? I love the more artsy ties, but those wouldn't work in some settings.

It's similar for women, for example, one shouldn't wear navy shoes wit a black dress.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
With a blue jacket, wear red and blue patterned tie.(Maroon is also "red".) With a black jacket, something with some gold in it, like maybe red and gold, or red/gold/black. Green/black would work with black. Maybe something with grey would work with black. Is this for conservative business attire? I love the more artsy ties, but those wouldn't work in some settings.

It's similar for women, for example, one shouldn't wear navy shoes wit a black dress.
Thanks. I also found a good chart on a website called Ask Andy.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:09 PM

19,020 posts, read 26,076,074 times
Dark blue jacket. Pink shirt. Sky blue tie.

One of my own combinations:

Always mix pinks and blues.

British blues with reds.

White with anything.

Lavender and purple.

Mint green and dark green.

Think of nature and how colours co-exist. Like green leaves on a brown branch. So, a mint green shirt and a dark brown tie go very well. Or blue sky and white clouds... a white shirt with a sky blue tie. Work with nature and you will be very successful in what you want to achieve.

Always mix stripes and circles/dots. Checks with herringbone or thick stripes. I used to have an old thread with a lot of tie/shirt combos.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Dark blue jacket. Pink shirt. Sky blue tie.

One of my own combinations:

Always mix pinks and blues.

British blues with reds.

White with anything.

Lavender and purple.

Mint green and dark green.

Think of nature and how colours co-exist. Like green leaves on a brown branch. So, a mint green shirt and a dark brown tie go very well. Or blue sky and white clouds... a white shirt with a sky blue tie. Work with nature and you will be very successful in what you want to achieve.

Always mix stripes and circles/dots. Checks with herringbone or thick stripes. I used to have an old thread with a lot of tie/shirt combos.
Thanks for the tips. Sometimes I just lay each piece of clothing next to each other to see how the overall mix looks.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM

My newest passion. Gingham check shirts. I've lost faith in American clothing. So I have been relying largely on Jermyn street shirt makers lately. This is a TM Lewin cut-away collar shirt and I experimented with a dark blue tie, but... the result wasn't that great coz I was still looking for a tie which would compliment it perfectly.

It still looked good coz fashion is all about attitude. But I just got a ted baker tie which perfectly compliments this green check and gives that fitting contrast I was looking for.

Spend time and you will get it working. But attitude first.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 05-31-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Thanks for the tips. Sometimes I just lay each piece of clothing next to each other to see how the overall mix looks.
Also, don't forget about the collar. A good tie needs a windsor spread or the cut-away collar.

I love cut-aways. They just highlight the triangle on the knot perfectly..

Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM

3,100 posts, read 7,077,582 times
Just make sure your tie is the right length as well. Hate seeing guys with the ties too short or too long. The bottom tip of your tie needs to line up with your belt buckle. If you can't get your tie down to your buckle, they do sell extra long ties. See this with guys who have big bellies, the tie ends up resting on the top of their gut and they have a 3-4 inch gap between their belt and the bottom of the tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty