Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
This is not necessarily true. The Hindu religion has existed for thousands of years, long before Imperialism. The upper caste societies were noted and valued for having lighter skin.
No. A lot of brahmins are black.

It's a global problem. You think Jesus Christ would have been famous if he looked like Kofi Annan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

It's a global problem. You think Jesus Christ would have been famous if he looked like Kofi Annan?
He probably did. The Italians decided he was white with blue eyes, they wanted him to match their own image of beauty. Highly unlikely he looked anything like that that picture of Jesus we have all come to know.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM

It's not a problem. I like white things and I'm not ashamed of it. Egg whites. White chicken breast meat. White rice. White chocolate mocha. White chicks. White dress shirts. White teeth.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
He probably did. The Italians decided he was white with blue eyes, they wanted him to match their own image of beauty. Highly unlikely he looked anything like that that picture of Jesus we have all come to know.
I want a Chinese Jesus. He'll convert water into egg drop soup.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Westerners love to tsk tsk Indians for wanting to be paler but what about people with fair complexions who give themselves cancer by tanning in the sun and in salons?

I haven't heard of cancer starting due to skin whitening but I have heard a lot about young anglo women getting cancer because they want to look "exotic".

Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM

And what about all the white mamas ranting and raving about these Brazilian wax kind of places where they bleach the portal to paradise and the apple of the booty's eye. Well, as long as it doesn't look scary the crocodile is a happy swamper.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Has skin tanning in the US gone too far? I thought about this question after seeing Tanning Mom and Snooki. It depends on who you ask and what country you ask it in because things that other countries do, we find abnormal and they find us abnormal for things we do in the US.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Has skin tanning in the US gone too far? I thought about this question after seeing Tanning Mom and Snooki. It depends on who you ask and what country you ask it in because things that other countries do, we find abnormal and they find us abnormal for things we do in the US.
Tanning and skin lightening are quite different in terms of what the desired end goal is.

People tan because they think they will look better, slimmer, more attractive. They don't think their life will change.

Unfortunately in many places, having lighter skin also opens you up to more employment opportunities, economic opportunities. You are suddenly deemed smarter and more attractive. For someone who is darker, living in a place where light skin is valued, the promise of skin lightening is the ticket to a "better life" with more opportunity. Not a couple more dates. The psychological impact is much different, and much more hurtful.

Skin tone is a form of privileged in most communities of color. You don't have to look very far to find it either. Pull up a couple of pictures of black debutantes and cotillions over the past 100 years or so. Most of them are more of the skin tone of Beyonce, and not Kelly Rowland. It was very difficult to climb the social ladder with a darker skin tone until maybe the 70s. There is a lot of color privilege in the black community, and it is very similar in India as well.

My dad is light, and my mom is dark. And he got a little bit of flack for marrying her. Most people in his family are pretty light (until the 2 generations). My cousins (luckily they got over this now) used to rank us in terms of attractiveness. Her scale placed us in order of skin tone. Lighter cousins were prettier, and darker ones were less pretty. Nevermind the fact that the four of us actually have very similar features (people confuse us all the time, even now as adults), and the main differences are skin tone and eye shape.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
Pale skin is simply not attractive. I know I am going against the entire world's concept of beauty, but I literally don't see why everyone on the planet seeks to have white skin. Dark-skin doesn't burn and peel in the sun. Dark skin ages better. Dark-skin looks fabulous in every color of clothing. Dark skin looks beautiful in photographs and on camera. I could go on and on.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

How do you know that he didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty