Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I just admit, I don't get it. Skin colour has nothing to do with beauty.
Exactly. I don't get it either.

I find it hard to comprehend (at an intellectual level, yes I know why there are those social norms, but on a personal level can't see why) that some dark people want to be light (ie. skin lightening) and some light people want to be dark (ie. tanning). Perhaps, it's some "grass is greener on the other side" mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
And here in America, come summer, many of us still try to get a little extra color from the sun. I sure do, and will probably continue it until I die. But I'm not interested in darkening my privates, thank you. That's just hard for me to comprehend.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Who cares, no different than white women tanning their skin to achieve an "exotic, bronzed" look.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 AM

309 posts, read 515,929 times
It's not any farther than those commonly accepted measures:
* whitening the teeth with chemcials or by adding veneers
* coloring the hair with the chemical burning the scalp
* injecting toxins to remove wrinkles to look younger
* eating any medicines and chemical compounds to achieve certain agility level such as performing faster and longer or generally being more energetic
* wearing the lipstick and other makeup with the chemicals ingested or absorbed unintentionally
* surgically reshaping the nose or other body parts to suit one's beauty ideal
* utilizing all kinds of contraptions in order to appear larger, smaller, curvier, straighter, etc.

The goals, including using the skin lightening products, are to transform oneself to be more appealing to their societies. Pots and kettles.

Last edited by Waterlily Pad; 06-10-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 PM

67 posts, read 140,620 times
I was in Thailand in April and I noticed that a few woman wanted to be white as well as there were many whitening products in beauty shops. Even woman and men in non beauty related commercials had pale skin.

However I guess it's no different from the "tanning" obsessed western society. Firstly, lots of Thailand people have Chinese ancestry and are quite naturally pale. Why is it bad to maintain this skin by not spending prolonged time in the sun? Secondly most Caucasian models featured in advertisements in western society have "tanned" skin, just posing an ideal like the Thai advertisements. And, we can't just assume that all women in Asian countries want to be "white" just because these advertisements say that is the ideal. I know I certainly don't want to wear fake tan or, even worse, have a real tan that would be damaging to the skin.

I do admit that advertising an ideal to influence woman to want to change themselves in sad. It’s sad that some Thai women feel as if they need to be whiter, just as it’s sad that western woman feel pressured to be more tanned and perhaps skinnier. However, I think tanning and whitening is somewhat similar. We can't judge other societies’ practices before considering all the facts. The only difference between whitening and tanning is that tanning (in America) can be considered an aesthetic beauty ritual, whereas in Thailand having white skin, although also perhaps considered visually appealing, also represents wealth.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
maybe if society didnt treat darkskin people like crap then they wouldn't have to bleach in order to get treated w/ respect
You don't have to do anything but die, pay taxes and stay black. Well, at least you should want to stay black.........

Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Dark skinned people trying to be light skinned. White (Caucasian) Americans looking bat-s*it crazy trying to be dark skinned.

'Tanning Mom': Does New Jersey Woman Suffer From 'Tanorexia'? - ABC News

Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
I have yet to totally give in to the "light skin is right skin" ( I have copyrights to this Phrase). I have always gone for those with tan to their skin. Also, I thought fair skin appear less masculine for a male. Do not ask where this notion manifest, as I have no clue.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I have yet to totally give in to the "light skin is right skin" ( I have copyrights to this Phrase). I have always gone for those with tan to their skin. Also, I thought fair skin appear less masculine for a male. Do not ask where this notion manifest, as I have no clue.
Not true. Most Indians are not white, though they are smearing fair and lovely on their faces as I type.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Not true. Most Indians are not white, though they are smearing fair and lovely on their faces as I type.
I see, however "I" have always believed fair skin to be less masculine.
Sammy Sosa has destroyed his skin now he looks odd but if he is happy, good on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty