Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times

Advertisements

i found this interesting and thought a few of you might aswell.

BBC News - Has skin whitening in India gone too far?

"For centuries Indian women have been raised to believe that fairness is beauty, and this has given rise to a vast and ever-growing skin-whitening industry - which is now encouraging women to bleach far beyond their hands and face."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
I didn't read the link, but it's not just big in India, it's a trend throughout Asia.

I personally think it's very sad. I don't know how the notion came about that you need to be lighter to be more beautiful. It's unfortunate that many women AND men succumb to these pressures and feel a need to do this.

Interestingly enough, when I lived in Latin America, I didn't see the same trend. I work in the beauty/ cosmetics industry and our focus on products within the region did not have a large focus on whitening at all.

I don't think we'll see this decrease anytime soon, though I do believe and hope more focus goes towards 'brightening' and evening skin tone versus actually lightening. I've seen so many women and men across all shades of skin that are stunning!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
When I lived in Miami...the strangest skin bleaching ad I ever saw was for "anus bleaching"...now that is strange and extreme....like...who cares? Obviously it is big business there.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I didn't read the link, but it's not just big in India, it's a trend throughout Asia.

I personally think it's very sad. I don't know how the notion came about that you need to be lighter to be more beautiful. It's unfortunate that many women AND men succumb to these pressures and feel a need to do this.

Interestingly enough, when I lived in Latin America, I didn't see the same trend. I work in the beauty/ cosmetics industry and our focus on products within the region did not have a large focus on whitening at all.

I don't think we'll see this decrease anytime soon, though I do believe and hope more focus goes towards 'brightening' and evening skin tone versus actually lightening. I've seen so many women and men across all shades of skin that are stunning!
Nicely put, colour does not denote attractiveness in the slightest. Beautiful is beautiful.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Absolutely

I find the obsession with skin lightening in that culture to be a symbol of a collosal and unmatched level of ignorance. Absolutely mind-boggling what this says about the pettiness and ignorance that exists in that culture.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I don't know how the notion came about that you need to be lighter to be more beautiful. It's unfortunate that many women AND men succumb to these pressures and feel a need to do this.
It started with Colonization. From 1605 through 1942 India was colonized by the Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, and the ultimately, the fair-skinned Brittish. For several generations people of this country were taught that is you are white (the whiter the better), European, etc., you are of the higher class aristocracy. Dark-skinned people were often relegated to subservient labor positions.

This is also true of Asia (and Africa) in general where France, Great Britain, the Netherlands and Portugal occupied and colonized these continents well into the 20th Century.

During this time all of the people in power; all the people who had money and privilege were fair-skinned. No wonder the local population grew to believe that this was preferental - even after colonialism was removed in favor of local rule.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It started with Colonization. From 1605 through 1942 India was colonized by the Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, and the ultimately, the fair-skinned Brittish. For several generations people of this country were taught that is you are white (the whiter the better), European, etc., you are of the higher class aristocracy. Dark-skinned people were often relegated to subservient labor positions.

This is also true of Asia (and Africa) in general where France, Great Britain, the Netherlands and Portugal occupied and colonized these continents well into the 20th Century.

During this time all of the people in power; all the people who had money and privilege were fair-skinned. No wonder the local population grew to believe that this was preferental - even after colonialism was removed in favor of local rule.

20yrsinBranson
This is true but it extends beyond this, and in Europe for different reasons. The caste system in India dates back from the time the speakers of Aryan languages introduced various strains of Hinduism and with it a system where they often have authority and power over the peoples they displaced, the Dravidian people, who were of a darker skin tone. The Brahmic classes could be recognised as superior by their paler, Indo-European skin tone. This divide continues today, although ironically the state of Kerala in southern India is the wealthiest per capita.

In both China and Europe, wealthy ladies and men of leisure didn't have to labour in the fields until the sun, so cultivated milky white complexions. This standard of beauty in East Asia, for instance, can be seen in old paintings and in the operatic tradition/geishas were women paint their faces. If you visit China, Vietnam, S.Korea, Japan or even Singapore, HK, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia you will see a lot of ads for skin whitening products.

Skin whitening is also practiced amongst the African American community.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is true but it extends beyond this, and in Europe for different reasons. The caste system in India dates back from the time the speakers of Aryan languages introduced various strains of Hinduism and with it a system where they often have authority and power over the peoples they displaced, the Dravidian people, who were of a darker skin tone. The Brahmic classes could be recognised as superior by their paler, Indo-European skin tone. This divide continues today, although ironically the state of Kerala in southern India is the wealthiest per capita.

In both China and Europe, wealthy ladies and men of leisure didn't have to labour in the fields until the sun, so cultivated milky white complexions. This standard of beauty in East Asia, for instance, can be seen in old paintings and in the operatic tradition/geishas were women paint their faces. If you visit China, Vietnam, S.Korea, Japan or even Singapore, HK, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia you will see a lot of ads for skin whitening products.

Skin whitening is also practiced amongst the African American community.
I think actual lightening is more popular in Africa than it is in the African American community. But there is a lot of colorism in the black community. I just don't really find many people actually doing anything proactive to lighten. That's the biggest difference. People will stay out of the sun, but those lightening creams aren't very prevalent.

It is unfortunate how much colorism there is across all ethnic communities.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Oh, is this why the crocodile likes his mommas white?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
This is not necessarily true. The Hindu religion has existed for thousands of years, long before Imperialism. The upper caste societies were noted and valued for having lighter skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty