Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

*** I am not using "real women" as a euphemism for curves or anything else. Real women come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes that isn't reflected in the clothing fit.

Does anyone notice pretty much every woman has trouble with clothing fit. It doesn't matter what size you are. Or your body shape. All the clothing fits horribly.

What percentage of women do you know that can actually find stuff that fits off the rack. For me, maybe 10% of the women I know find stuff off the rack. Everyone else needs to get stuff tailored for a proper fit.

Clothing doesn'r account for people with more or less waist definition. Short torsos. Short legs. Long legs. Larger hips. Bigger butts. No hips. Narrow hips. Round hips. Square hips. Flat butts. Long torsos. People with thin legs. People with bigger thighs. People with muscular arms. Broad shoulders. Narrow shoulders. Big busts. Small busts. Long arms. Short arms.

People either complain about gapping at the waist or muffin top. Buttons gapping or way too much space in the chest for button down shirts. Pants are really tight or really lose across the thigh or butt.

I am not even tall, I find it difficult to find pants that are the right length. I am 5'4.5." Petite pants are way too short. Most regular pants are only suitable for flats for me, so I need to get talls if I want to wear a heel. I am 5'4ish. Obviously not that high on the height scales. I know I am one extreme of body shapes, so it is obvious to me that I am designed to have problems finding clothing.

Most people I know do not remotely have body types like mine. That are more "average" and still have problems.

So can you tell me who is left to fit the clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Try finding anything that fits when you are 5' 1ish and don't wear heels at all and the petites are not quite long enough for me either or they are too long.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Buy clothes from the British. That's how I fixed my fitting problem.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Buy clothes from the British. That's how I fixed my fitting problem.
I started to buy from ASOS and Dorothy Perkins. Was shocked that most dresses fit me perfectly. Much better fit for sure.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
I sooooo am with you on this! I am also your height and tend to have shorter legs. Sick of all the pants being a foot too long. And yes, the petite pants all look like highwaters.
I don't like spending good money on clothes, then also having to pay more money to tailor them.

And while we are venting, I also really don't like the empire thing. It makes every woman look pregnant.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I think the best thing to do usually is find a brand or two that fit you well, and stick with those. There's so much variation in size and fit between different brands that it really makes shopping complicated.

My mother doesn't have trouble getting anything to fit...she's 5'8", slightly pear-shaped and wears a 16. She can always find jeans and slacks that fit without any length issues.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
You need to find a designer /label name that uses models with your shape! Each designer uses different body types....so unless you have the same basic shape (not size) as the model they design on, it's not going to fit properly!

I'm 5'4" and would NEVER consider "petite" pants...too short in the crotch and length! I can do a petite shirt, but never pants!

If you want longer pants, try the store, "Cache"....all of their pants are made for giraffes!!!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I started to buy from ASOS and Dorothy Perkins. Was shocked that most dresses fit me perfectly. Much better fit for sure.
Don't think I'll walk into a Brooks Brothers ever again. They copied most of their stuff from Burberry's anyway, and then fattened it up.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Eh, I don't really like complainers. Shopping is work and always has been but we're lucky enough to have a wider variety than ever before to search through and the internet to help us pinpoint the styles and brands that work for our needs.

The way I see it, everyone has their "problem areas". Not bad features, just features that require special attention when shopping. All the things you listed like a big bust, big thighs, small waist, short legs, short torso, etc. Most people have a few features like that and the rest of their body is easy enough to dress.

Like me, I know I have to look out for clothes to accommodate long legs, a long torso, and a small waist. Not so bad, I've learned the shops that carry longer inseams, I can spot shirts that are going to unintentionally bare my belly, and I stick with fitted tops and dresses that have elastic to cinch me in.

It takes work and trying things on, but I can't expect to stumble upon a shop that caters exactly to my body. I know that those shorter jeans or mini dresses work perfectly on other bodies, so I just try to not let it get me down. Having a different than average body hasn't stopped me from packing my closet full of fabulous clothes.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM

I have a pear shape, with I have a big chest. Oh and a short torso/long legs. So that's basically clothing purgatory.

I was reading a size chart of some online store the other day. I don't remember what it was. Anyway the store had a 6 inch gap between hips and waist. I was like what the heck? Who does that fit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty