Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,458 times

Advertisements

Remember the fifties and sixties when you would buy patterns and make your clothes? Does anybody still do that? Did you ever do it? If you did tell us your story amusing and disasters. When they had home ec in school did you sew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Remember the fifties and sixties when you would buy patterns and make your clothes? Does anybody still do that? Did you ever do it?
I do not remember sewing in the 50s and 60s... too young! But I have sewn in the 70s to present day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
If you did tell us your story amusing and disasters. When they had home ec in school did you sew?
Not anything to tell. When I needed something I could not find in a store or when something was too expensive, I made it. NOW it often is more expensive to make it.

I did not have home ec in school... I am self-taught.

There IS home ec in our school system, mandatory for graduation.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
My mother used to make clothes with patterns when I was growing up. She was really good at it, and thought that it was important that her daughters know how to sew, too. She gave us lessons from the time I was 9 or 10. By the time I was 12 yo, I could sew simple skirts, shorts, and tops. The clothes I made came out okay. I would wear them mostly around the house. No interesting tales to report.

I lost interest in sewing in my teens when I realized that I couldn't make clothes as nice as the ones I bought.

However, the skills that I learn still serve me well, as I don't need to take most repairs and alterations to a tailor, because I can do them myself.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Don't remember the 50's or 60's. I only started 11 years ago when I was 14.

I not only buy patterns, but I can even construct my own from scratch. I've made practically everything from standard dresses, to shirts, longcoats, bodysuits, and even ball gowns.

I actually taught myself everything I know by researching online and trial by fire.

Something I find amusing is that when working on projects, I consistently lose track of my measuring tapes (all 3 of them), my tailor chalk, rulers (standard and meter stick), tomatoes (both of them) and my scissors. I probably waste 2-3 hours per project looking for things I've misplaced.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I sew, but only flat, square things like tablecloths, napkins, placemats, and pillows. Nothing that would require the level of skill necessary to fit something to an individual body (except for something that's essentially flat and squared, like a poncho or long, loose vest). All of that is more mathetmatical than is enjoyable for me. I also crochet hats and scarves, but, again...only flat, square things. I keep it pretty basic. I can also do my own mending basics.

I was in one of the last middle school home ec classes offered by my district (late 80s, early 90s). We didn't learn anything other than basic mending...sewing buttons, fixing tears, sewing a seam. We also learned how to do counted cross stitch for fun. My mom is a child of the 50s, and she's a decent utilitarian seamstress, but not so much a creative one. Fixing things, vs. creating new garments, is her thing.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I have sewn for over 50 yrs, learned from my grandmother. I took a tailoring class and made myself a wool top coat from a Vogue pattern. Now sewing infrequently for the grandkids.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I can do it....made a dress and shorts/top and a gown.....it's so much easier to buy what you want, tho! I still sew curtains, cushions and bags/carry cases, etc.. for things I might need, but clothes are alot of trouble! It's so much easier to buy them!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
I've been sewing since I was a teen, a bit here and there. These days it's mostly home decor -- curtains, throw pillows -- but occasionally I break out the pattern board and make a dress or jacket. I tend to fall in love with a fabric in those cases and then have to try to make it into something I want to wear. I've got a gorgeous piece now that I'm trying to figure out how to best use the print; I want to do a sheath with a cocoon style coat, but don't know if the bolt end I bought has enough yardage. I need to plot it out because the print placement is key.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I've been sewing since I was a teen, a bit here and there. These days it's mostly home decor -- curtains, throw pillows -- but occasionally I break out the pattern board and make a dress or jacket. I tend to fall in love with a fabric in those cases and then have to try to make it into something I want to wear. I've got a gorgeous piece now that I'm trying to figure out how to best use the print; I want to do a sheath with a cocoon style coat, but don't know if the bolt end I bought has enough yardage. I need to plot it out because the print placement is key.
Remember when we had to match every design element and so much fabric was wasted? I see dresses in the $100-$200 range that don't have matching plaids, stripes, etc. Just poor quality IMO.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Remember when we had to match every design element and so much fabric was wasted? I see dresses in the $100-$200 range that don't have matching plaids, stripes, etc. Just poor quality IMO.
totally agree! and so many things that aren't cut on the straight grain. They never lay right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty