Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I would guess that most people who have tattoos don't give a **** if a random stranger doesn't like them....
Many of the tattooed on threads like this DO care and get very defensive.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Straight Shooter,

I think what you're missing, here, is that it's NOT a case of "most people don't like tattoos," it's simply a case of, "most forum posters who are moved to click on a thread entitled "Women with tattoos: Major turn-off!" are gonna be ones who don't like tattoos." Consider the source.
I generally agree. A thread like this is inviting those who don't like tattoos to express their opinions. At the same time my guess is that a higher % of women have tattoos than the % of men who find tattooed women attractive,

Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
If you don't want to be associated with criminals, don't get tattoos; I've said that three times already in this thread. Like it or not, that is what a lot of people think, and getting pissed about it is just stupid and a waste of time.
If you have ever watched the prison TV shows you will notice that every prisoner is filled from head to toe with tattoos. I guess they have to step it up and look even more extreme than the people on the outside.

I saw a show when Johnny Cash did a concert in San Quentin prison in 1969. Amazingly I only saw one of the prisoners with a tattoo (was he ever ahead of his time) and it was just one. The prisoners of 1969 actually looked more harmless (even if they obviously weren't) and clean cut than the average law abiding man I see on the street in 2012.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Dated an aging stripper she had a tat on her left breast- I kind of avoided that side of the field- You just don't need them- Recently I as an old guy considered it for fun--but my skin is tired looking and it might not take well...maybe an anchor or my forearm---or a jail house tat like love and hate on my knuckles...or maybe a Mermaid...or a ship..or MOM - or maybe a heart with a dagger though it- or how about JESUS ------now how many more tasteless unimaginative tats are out there?

Oh here is a really scary on- I know this old Korean lady who dresses like some sort of weird hipster..Her family run a local business and she is always dashing about doing something- She has those huge tattooed out lines around her lips- ugly as hell...She is about 75 years old- I guess that was a hot tat in her day hanging out in Korea---where by the way she was a police officer- who liked to use pliers to get confessions- creep old lady who has the hots for me---Oh my God- I hide when I see tat lips coming..

Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,222 times
Ok, after reading this entire thread, I feel like a lot of the posters here have superiority complexes over people who have tattoos.

I don't have any tattoos (not yet, I do want to get some, though,) but why such vitriolic reactions towards people who do have them? Yes, there are people who get ones in an attempt to look "cool" or "tough," but many get tattoos that reflect character traits or reverence.

I think some of your responses say far more about your character, or lack thereof, than a person's tattoos do. Stereotyping is a lazy man's way of determining who a person is.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Ok, after reading this entire thread, I feel like a lot of the posters here have superiority complexes over people who have tattoos.

I don't have any tattoos (not yet, I do want to get some, though,) but why such vitriolic reactions towards people who do have them? Yes, there are people who get ones in an attempt to look "cool" or "tough," but many get tattoos that reflect character traits or reverence.

I think some of your responses say far more about your character, or lack thereof, than a person's tattoos do. Stereotyping is a lazy man's way of determining who a person is.
You can rationalize all you want but it is what it is. If you get tattoos, some people will look down on you. If it is visible, it will hurt your job chances at any type of professional position. Character traits or reverence? Are you really serious? Go right ahead and get your tattoos. You've read all the negative posts here and they have not made an impact, so nothing will.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You can rationalize all you want but it is what it is. If you get tattoos, some people will look down on you. If it is visible, it will hurt your job chances at any type of professional position. Character traits or reverence? Are you really serious? Go right ahead and get your tattoos. You've read all the negative posts here and they have not made an impact, so nothing will.
I'm not "rationalizing" anything, but expressing disgust at some of the superiority complexes of posters here. Ok, for fun, let's play with some stereotypes!

Are are NASCAR fans redneck hillibillies?
Are all people who like Electronic music drug addicts?
Are all computer scientists socially awkward nerds?

If people do look down on me for whatever I have, so be it. At least I know I won't be living my life as a judgmental prick.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Tattoos themselves aren't a sign of "lower class", it also depends on what the attitude of the person is as well. As for the fallacy that tattoos have somehow always been worn by criminals, thugs, etc- think again. I'm unfortunately using Wikipedia as a source, but I have seen this in multiple books on the subject-

Quote:
The British Royal Court must have been fascinated with Omai's tattoos, because the future King George V had himself inked with the 'Cross of Jerusalem' when he traveled to the Middle East in 1892. During a visit to Japan he also received a dragon on the forearm from the needles of Hori Chiyo, an acclaimed tattoo master. George's sons, the Dukes of Clarence and York were also tattooed in Japan while serving in the British Admiralty, solidifying what would become a family tradition.
Taking their sartorial lead from the British Court, where Edward VII followed George V's lead in getting tattooed; King Frederick IX of Denmark, the King of Romania, Kaiser Wilhelm II, King Alexander of Yugoslavia and even Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, all sported tattoos, many of them elaborate and ornate renditions of the Royal Coat of Arms or the Royal Family Crest. King Alfonso XIII of modern Spain also had a tattoo.
Tattooing spread among the upper classes all over Europe in the 19th century, but particularly in Britain where it was estimated in Harmsworth Magazine in 1898 that as many as one in five members of the gentry were tattooed. There, it was not uncommon for members of the social elite to gather in the drawing rooms and libraries of the great country estate homes after dinner and partially disrobe in order to show off their tattoos. Aside from her consort Prince Albert, there are persistent rumours that Queen Victoria had a small tattoo in an undisclosed 'intimate' location; Denmark's King Frederick was filmed showing his tattoos taken as a young sailor. Winston Churchill's mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, had a tattoo of a snake around her wrist, which she covered when the need arose with a specially crafted diamond bracelet. Carrying on the family tradition, Winston Churchill had an anchor tattooed on his forearm.

It wasn't just British upper classes that were fascinated with it, the aristocrats of many European societies found themselves inked at some point or another. It was only when "lower-class" people were exposed to and could afford to get these tattoos that they started being thought of as "low class" or "trashy".

Funny correlation- I'm sure that apparel bearing logos of popular sports teams wasn't considered "low class" at some time, but look at all the people who have turned the logos into ways to identify each other- gangs in particular. Take the "NY" Yankees logo, the "LA" Dodgers logo, the "Raiders" logo, etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 AM

47 posts, read 67,598 times
I used to hate chicks with tats, cause guys like to feel up on natural skin baby!!! lol... it just seems like I'm licking ink. ;P That thought forever tainted me...

But I saw one who I would not mind at all.. I still would feel I'm kissing ink.. Just gives me the heebeejeebees.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times
^you type like a virgin.. kissing ink? wtf

i have more problems with weird piercings. who cares about tats. not a big deal. but those weird ass piercings where they stretch their earlobes out to the size of a small pizza at costco.. or that weird crap they put between the bridge of their nose or on their eyebrows.. disgusting. tongue rings too. metal makes ur mouth smell like a taint. tats > nasty piercings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty