Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
I agree that Marilyn most likely was a size 8/10. Usually 10 is considered plus sized. I never said she was larger than a 14. I never said what size she was, because I'm not sure what her size is. I just know she wasn't a 2-6 by looking at her. The point I was making is that no matter how chubby Marilyn got, it didn't make her any less beautiful. Regardless of what size she was, she was hot enough to bag Tony Curtis. Which is proof that you don't have to be skinny in order to get a hot guy. That's all I was saying. As a matter of fact the last wife he had was described as having a "GENEROUS FIGURE".

Tony Curtis was interviewed by a newspaper and he talked about Marilyn. His words are posted online here:
Tony Curtis on Marilyn Monroe: It was like kissing Hitler! | Mail Online

He made a joke about kissing Marilyn saying it was like kissing Hitler, cause he was being sarcastic. He talked about the affair, including details about the sex they had. He also talked about the rumours that he was a homosexual, which he was NOT. He talked about the relationship he had with his mom and how it influenced his relationships with women.

I'm neither catty nor mean. I wasn't insulting thin women. I don't have anything against thin women. I don't have any underlying motive. I said what I meant. I wanted to praise and encourage plus sized women. And I'm not sorry for that.

This is an open forum. I'm allowed to say whatever I want to say as long as I don't break the rules.
Actually a size 12 is a plus size in the USA. Sizes 10 and below are not plus sizes.

Plus sizes range from 12-26. Marilyn wouldn't have ever been considered a plus size if she were alive today. She looks like she is probably what is equal to a size 4 if she were to go shopping in 2012. I believe that back when she was alive she looks as though she wore at most somewhere between a size 6 and 8. Sizes and sizing has changed since then, so now she'd actually wear a smaller size than she did then. Needless to say Marilyn is not a plus-size representative. She just ain't. She is slim, and curvy, but not plus size, even at her biggest. What she is representative is of a curvy slim "sexy" woman(although I don't think she was all that pretty).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's funny, isn't it... most 'ideals' aren't real at all and aren't even attainable by anything but trick photography and computer software. Makes it kinda hard for actual women to keep up, eh?
Yes. People keep posting pics of women jutting out their hips with photography,people with corsets on,and photoshop.
Doesn't make sense. Women are either pushed to being really thin or pushed to have curves.

Where is the happy medium?
Not every woman can be thin,neither can every woman have curves.
I didn't start seeing this push for women to be curvy until recently.
Before that and in the 80's,it was thin(looking at videos from that period)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Just to reiterate...as long as there's a decent brain inside the body, we're good to go.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM

124 posts, read 212,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Actually a size 12 is a plus size in the USA. Sizes 10 and below are not plus sizes.

Plus sizes range from 12-26. Marilyn wouldn't have ever been considered a plus size if she were alive today. She looks like she is probably what is equal to a size 4 if she were to go shopping in 2012. I believe that back when she was alive she looks as though she wore at most somewhere between a size 6 and 8. Sizes and sizing has changed since then, so now she'd actually wear a smaller size than she did then. Needless to say Marilyn is not a plus-size representative. She just ain't. She is slim, and curvy, but not plus size, even at her biggest. What she is representative is of a curvy slim "sexy" woman(although I don't think she was all that pretty).
okay okay

i'm not about to split hairs over Marilyn's size, when i already said i don't know what size she was.

THE POINT IS SHE WASN'T SKINNY AND SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL AND MILLIONS OF MEN WANTED HER NO MATTER HOW CHUBBY SHE GOT.

that's all i'm saying. is there something wrong with me praising this woman? is it against the law? it's like a protest against heavier women. no matter what i say to try to build up the plus sized girls, it's got to be discredited or shot down some how?

just today i found out how Kate Upton was called fat. society is really sick if now Kate Upton is considered fat. she's another beautiful woman. look:

Last edited by Administrator; 01-08-2014 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: copyrighted pics deleted

Old 07-14-2012, 10:11 PM

124 posts, read 212,812 times
Smile so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
4-6? For pygmies, maybe. Most women are too tall to fit in those sizes. Polls on the Relationships forum have shown the men prefer "curvy" to "athletic". Surprisingly, most guys responding said they prefer some extra padding on women's bodies. In my own experience, I used to think an 8-10 is my ideal size. After gaining a little weight and going up to a 12, which I thought was "fat", I noticed I was getting a lot more attention from guys. Then I noticed the extra weight had gone to the right places; I had acquired curves, not overall fat. So now I think that little bit of extra is just right for me.
yes, this has been my experience too. i got some attention when i was skinny, but it's rediculous now that i've gained weight. and yes i admit it may have something to do with the fact that i went from 38B to 36D.
yup, i'm like this now. i even wear an outfit similar to hers, but my cleavage is covered tho. i believe in leaving SOME THINGS to the imagination

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes. People keep posting pics of women jutting out their hips with photography,people with corsets on,and photoshop.
Doesn't make sense. Women are either pushed to being really thin or pushed to have curves.

Where is the happy medium?
Not every woman can be thin,neither can every woman have curves.
I didn't start seeing this push for women to be curvy until recently.
Before that and in the 80's,it was thin(looking at videos from that period)
I think "curvy" had long been the female aesthetic in the black and Hispanic communities. The rising influence of those communities (blacks through hip-hop, etc. and Hispanics through their population growth) probably had something to do with the mainstream American female ideal becoming curvier. Add to that the extreme thinness of models in the '90s and the public backlash they created, rising obesity rates making it more difficult to attain a "thin" look, etc. and you have a number of influences that would logically go in that direction of a curvier ideal for women.

Most of the women I've seen posted here are a bit too toned for me.

I personally am most attracted to pear-shaped women with large breasts. Moderate excess fat is no disadvantage, but I'm not attracted to obese women. I have had this ideal since I was 13 or 14 or so.

Anyway, I think a lot of women are too preoccupied with their bodies. The basic advantage girls have in attracting suitors is the fact that they are female. I can't count the number of times I have seen a obese girl with a non-obese male partner, but on the other hand I haven't seen too many truly obese boyfriends of non-obese girls (although that may have something to do with low self-confidence). Not that it's fine to be obese or anything, but even normal-weight girls fret over their cellulite or little love handles or saddlebags, etc. Perhaps it's not so much about attracting males as it is about competing with other females, though.

Last edited by tvdxer; 07-14-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
okay okay

i'm not about to split hairs over Marilyn's size, when i already said i don't know what size she was.

THE POINT IS SHE WASN'T SKINNY AND SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL AND MILLIONS OF MEN WANTED HER NO MATTER HOW CHUBBY SHE GOT.

that's all i'm saying. is there something wrong with me praising this woman? is it against the law? it's like a protest against heavier women. no matter what i say to try to build up the plus sized girls, it's got to be discredited or shot down some how?

just today i found out how Kate Upton was called fat. society is really sick if now Kate Upton is considered fat. she's another beautiful woman. look:
Maybe its just me,but I don't see any curves on Kate. She doesn't have the small waist and larger hips.
She just looks straight up and down with boobs.

I think what the poster was saying is that MM was never,ever considered plus size,not today nor in the past.
Plus size to me is the plus size models like Fluvia Lacerda and Tara Lynn

Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think "curvy" had long been the female aesthetic in the black and Hispanic communities. The rising influence of those communities (blacks through hip-hop, etc. and Hispanics through their population growth) probably had something to do with the mainstream American female ideal becoming curvier. Add to that the extreme thinness of models in the '90s and the public backlash they created, rising obesity rates making it more difficult to attain a "thin" look, etc. and you have a number of influences that would logically go in that direction of a curvier ideal for women.

I personally am most attracted to pear-shaped women with large breasts. Moderate excess fat is no disadvantage, but I'm not attracted to obese women. I have had this ideal since I was 13 or 14 or so.

Anyway, I think a lot of women are too preoccupied with their bodies. The basic advantage girls have in attracting suitors is the fact that they are female. I can't count the number of times I have seen a obese girl with a non-obese male partner, but on the other hand I haven't seen too many truly obese boyfriends of non-obese girls (although that may have something to do with low self-confidence). Not that it's fine to be obese or anything, but even normal-weight girls fret over their cellulite or little love handles or saddlebags, etc. Perhaps it's not so much about attracting males as it is about competing with other females, though.
The biggest problem is that everyone's definition of obesity is different.
I know the CdC defines it as someone over 30% Bmi or above 32% body fat(for women 16 to 45).

Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Very true. Being curvy or thicker has always been popular in the latino and black community. Black and Latino men love thick and curvy women. And body wise, black women and Latina women are known for having curves and/or being thicker/fuller. I mean going back to Sir mix a lot "Baby got back" it was about a black man loving a woman with a big butt(which a lot of black women have and had).

It's become normalized now. That, and as you said it's becoming more difficult for the average woman to attain thinness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty