Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men clothing is limited?
Yes 24 88.89%
No 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I definitely agree. For the past, I don't know, 200 years at least, men's clothing has been more functional, less elaborate and decorative, and more limited in styles.

I see plenty of stores only selling clothing for men but they tend to be the same old stuff, shirts, suits, pants.etc.

It doesn't personally bother me too much as for me fashion is merely about function/comfort, not so much to look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I'm 20 years old, and I've noticed that men have a much more limited selection of clothes than woman do. Would you agree?

Also we have much less stores than woman have, in fact I've never seen a complete man store before but woman have their own complete stores. (ex. "Belks Woman", "Belks Men & Furniture") Why is that?
Most men aren't clothes horses and, therefore, don't shop that often or for a lot of money compared to women.

I'd like to see a men's fashion show with a lot of functional sports and construction-oriented clothing and accessories (ie. tool belts) but that ain't gonna happen.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:39 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
The beauty and fashion industry is built around women. Notice that all fashion shows are about women, all beauty pageant shows are about women, 99% of beauty and fashion magazines are about women, when there is a big wedding all eyes are on the bride not the groom. I sometimes feel that guys always get the short end of the stick but I guess the world in general perceive the male body as ugly and not in need to look good and very little is done to change that. I think that is the reason so many men put a lot of weight on as they age and get married, because they don't care what they look like anymore. Society has a terrible mentality about men who take care of themselves.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
And most of the stuff on offer to men is just crap. And they wonder why we always end up in t-shirts and jeans...

yeah, I agree. half of what is out there, as a man, I would be caught dead in.

give me my nice comfy levis, or army cargo pants and T-shirt, and I am done.
wife beater in the summer......

Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
spice up your mens wardrobe with www.johnvarvatos.com and www.GregLauren.com

ummm, dont think so !!!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Most men aren't clothes horses and, therefore, don't shop that often or for a lot of money compared to women.

I'd like to see a men's fashion show with a lot of functional sports and construction-oriented clothing and accessories (ie. tool belts) but that ain't gonna happen.

now were talking.

oh what a fashion show that would be, kinda like bringing the village people into the yyear 2012.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM

There are definitely limited choices for men. Go to any department store and see that about 75% of the store is composed of women clothing and a little section is for men. As for the magazines go, what options do me have?GQ and Esquire. I ocassionally browse through those magazines and can't help but laugh at the ridiculous styles they show men wearing and most of those guys look like they are on starvation mode and men in general are supposed to want to look like those guys? Seriously?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Why is it, that in a professional office setting, men have one option, a suit, thats it.

While Ive seen women wear just about every combination of clothing short of jeans and a tshirt, and it be acceptable.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Why is it, that in a professional office setting, men have one option, a suit, thats it.

While Ive seen women wear just about every combination of clothing short of jeans and a tshirt, and it be acceptable.
Sadly, that's not true anymore. A lot of offices are degenerating their dress code to more casual (typically club clothing). It's sad really. Americans used to dress for success, now we dress for leisure.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM

There is definitely a more laid back attitude toward how men dress in general and higher expectations of how women should dress and look but unfortunately that has created the issue of men having limited choices for clothes. Men are not seen as anything that need to look good or special, we are just men right? Nobody cares. So why make anything special,a pair of Jeans, a t- shirt and sneakers will do for the most part. That is society for you. I just go and buy what I think looks good on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty