Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,675,828 times

Advertisements

they are paying for the name, where some child in a 3rd world country made them for 10 dollars in a factory somewhere

with that being said...
i do want this alexander wang bag that is 200, not because he made it (even tho i love him!) but because i like the way the bag is made(conveniences,good pockets,etc), if i were to find something similar i would get that instead..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 AM

943 posts, read 1,839,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
they are paying for the name, where some child in a 3rd world country made them for 10 dollars in a factory somewhere

with that being said...
i do want this alexander wang bag that is 200, not because he made it (even tho i love him!) but because i like the way the bag is made(conveniences,good pockets,etc), if i were to find something similar i would get that instead..

LV 's are not made in 3rd world countries nor ar they made by children. But I am sure a lot of fakes are.....

Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
LV 's are not made in 3rd world countries nor ar they made by children. But I am sure a lot of fakes are.....
yippie do wha

Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
yippie do wha
So you agree... you don't have a clue about what you're talking about.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So you agree... you don't have a clue about what you're talking about.
Actually I do
This is pretty standard procedure in the Luxury brand industry. Indeed Louis Vuitton basically makes the 95% of the shell of the bag in China, it’s then shipped to Italy to put on the buckles and zippers. This was mostly done to stem the tide of counterfeits that were streaming out of China. They knew that quality leather working was fairly well established and cheap in China, but the craftsmanship to make high quality metal buckles and zippers was lacking. This bascially made it harder to make the ‘high quality’ knock offs in China. Yes there are various levels of quality of knock offs, ranging from total crap to almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Almost every brand you buy is basically made in China and it’s very clear on the label for most brands like Coach, Burberry, etc. A few of the top tier brands do the pseudo-china rebranding.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Actually I do
This is pretty standard procedure in the Luxury brand industry. Indeed Louis Vuitton basically makes the 95% of the shell of the bag in China, it’s then shipped to Italy to put on the buckles and zippers. This was mostly done to stem the tide of counterfeits that were streaming out of China. They knew that quality leather working was fairly well established and cheap in China, but the craftsmanship to make high quality metal buckles and zippers was lacking. This bascially made it harder to make the ‘high quality’ knock offs in China. Yes there are various levels of quality of knock offs, ranging from total crap to almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Almost every brand you buy is basically made in China and it’s very clear on the label for most brands like Coach, Burberry, etc. A few of the top tier brands do the pseudo-china rebranding.
not debating you but im almost sure the entire bag is made in France? Again Not debating you. but this is news to me do have anything that can back your post? This is very interesting if true.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
not debating you but im almost sure the entire bag is made in France? Again Not debating you. but this is news to me do have anything that can back your post? This is very interesting if true.
I doubt it. If you haven't read Deluxe, I recommend it. It is a great read. So many bag makers, especially on their lower end bags, build in China, and then do final assembly in France or Italy so they can add the coveted made in Europe label. There are some tricks to find a bag that wasn't truly made in China.

LV is so mass market now, it wouldn't be cost effective for them to make all of their bags in france with their volume. But I imagine there are a few bags (probably retailing for $10k +) that are still made in France.

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-How-Lux...eywords=deluxe

Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM

56 posts, read 79,626 times
Louis Vuitton is made in France, we have 10 factories here they also have 2 factories in Spain, one in USA (California) and a shoe factory in Italy. They don't have any factories in China. Source: my best friend who works for LVMH

Last edited by tikamoi; 06-29-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I doubt it. If you haven't read Deluxe, I recommend it. It is a great read. So many bag makers, especially on their lower end bags, build in China, and then do final assembly in France or Italy so they can add the coveted made in Europe label. There are some tricks to find a bag that wasn't truly made in China.

LV is so mass market now, it wouldn't be cost effective for them to make all of their bags in france with their volume. But I imagine there are a few bags (probably retailing for $10k +) that are still made in France.

Amazon.com: Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster (9780143113706): Dana Thomas: Books

you rock now we all have a great summer designer read thank you xo

Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
yup..... I wanted it at that time in 06 and that was the best find an part of me wishes i waited but I was not sure if it would go down or go up but I am happy i will never sell it and it was exactly what i wanted for my living room.

The purses are all over the place i agree I started using my vintage pierre cardin and Oleg Casini's just to be different. I like your style

ohh www.1stdibs.com is a great place to find them. Yes, loveeeee 1stdibs

In blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty