Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times

Advertisements

Women wearing little to nothing is completely accepted in my department, if not encouraged. I have seen halter tops that end in back well below the bra line, with a jacket thrown on occasionally for a minute or two here and there throughout the day. The male boss goes ballistic about dress code violations such as sneakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Of course there is a double standard. Most dress codes are written by women, at least in the workplace. Dress codes are sexist, and there is the whole ageist factor which is slanted heavily in favor of young men. Men apparently don't know how to dress appropriately for their age, whereas women know what appropriate dress is, but don't have to dress a certain age.

For men over 40--maybe even over 30--anything that looks out of place on a Kohl's Department Store male mannequin, is out of the question. For women of any age, though, dress is much more permissive. Shirts without collars are fine. Open toed shoes are OK. Jewelry is OK. Painted-on pants are OK.

Last edited by 43north87west; 07-02-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I think it is terrible that in some companies men are required to wear suit and tie to work when it is 100 percent heat and humidity.

totally not fair.

actually is is sexist discrimination

I think women wearing flip flops in the office is absolutely disguating and should not be allowed, but it is always the fat girl that is hot and wears them....why is that?

we have one here, doesnt every office.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
I currently work with a Fortune 500 on Wall Street and on my first day I wore a button up shirt and a pair of khaki pants with heels.

After seeing what these women wear, not anymore!

Some days I will even don my hot pink sandals with a strap between the toes.

Women show tattoos, wear skirts up to their hoo-ha's, chunky gold earrings, neon jeans, ronald mcdonald afros. It's whatever.

Men usually wear the button up shirt and pants. I guess their styles are somewhat limited?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,288 times
Maybe it's because women usually dress well according to the occasion and men do not.

If a woman goes to work in miniskirts men are happy, but if a man goes to work on cargo shorts and sandals, he is seen as a worker who is not trustworthy.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
ronald mcdonald afros. It's whatever.
Why is an afro unprofessional? In Neon Pink? Yes. In a natural shade....no. Just an unfortunate double standard.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Maybe it's because women usually dress well according to the occasion and men do not.

If a woman goes to work in miniskirts men are happy, but if a man goes to work on cargo shorts and sandals, he is seen as a worker who is not trustworthy.

thas news to me, I would assume it is summer and he is hot.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why is an afro unprofessional? In Neon Pink? Yes. In a natural shade....no. Just an unfortunate double standard.
I never said Afro's were unprofessional. I wear my hair natural all the time in a big afro.

BUT, Ronald McDonald afro's are. This lady in my building has a bright red one. So she looks like Ronald McDonald.

You are right about the double standard though. I try to keep mine neat, but I do think that is the reason why I haven't gotten many callbacks for seoond/third interviews. Especially here in Manhattan.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post

BUT, Ronald McDonald afro's are. This lady in my building has a bright red one. So she looks like Ronald McDonald.
LOL. She should do ombre with neon to complete the trend.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Women wearing little to nothing is completely accepted in my department, if not encouraged. I have seen halter tops that end in back well below the bra line, with a jacket thrown on occasionally for a minute or two here and there throughout the day. The male boss goes ballistic about dress code violations such as sneakers.
Wow...that's very unprofessional. I don't care if someone wants to wear a halter top on their own time, but there's no way I'd ever dress unprofessionally to work, especially if I had a great position in corporate America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty