Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:49 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times

Advertisements

I think people should wear whatever they want and if others don't like it they can stuff it. I love seeing older people with Manic Panic hair colors and clothing that they're happy and comfortable in. At least it shows older people aren't just boring fuddy duddies. It's not like we change into a different person just because we're older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabush View Post
you just need the right shoes. the clothes are just a shirt and pants. it's probably the only sport where you just wear jeans or khakis and a t-shirt.
So I don't have to buy all black skateboard clothes?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I skateboarded up until 53~until I knew my bones couldnt take the hits anymore. I guess having fun and getting the most out of your life is a bad thing, too?

Old 07-05-2015, 11:14 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Am I just old-fashioned, or is it a turn-off to women to see 40-ish, or worse, grey-haired guys dressing in all black skateboard clothes, or even carrying a skateboard with them? I don't mind regular shorts and t-shirt, but this boardie uniform seems really out of place after a certain age. I've seen guys in this garb try to pick up women in business suits. It doesn't go over well. Is the idea of more or less age-appropriate clothing passe? Is there a psychology about this, is it an attempt to recapture, or cling desparately to a faded youth? Or just personal preference? What to the ladies think, have you run into this phenomenon?
I think the idea of "age-appropriate" is for the most part ridiculous. My viewpoint on the subject, though, is perhaps there should be more emphasis on "setting-appropriate" and/or "location-appropriate."
What I mean is I think 'uniforms' or clothes that are considered attire for a specific activity, should be reserved for that activity, not for everyday wear.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Skateboarding is not too much different from surfing. It's good exercise. I pretty much gave it up after my teens but my little girl skates now and she occasionally likes me to show her how. Personally I think it's kinda juvenile but ultimately, it is just a harmless pastime like biking.

A guy who's skating is doing himself some good for his health and keeping in shape. Yeah, maybe it's a little wacky to flashback to our kiddy days reviving the skatekid within us. But you ladies prolly ought to appreciate. If an older guy keeps in shape by skating, wouldn't you prefer that to a guy eating cheetos and swilling buds in front of the TV?
Hey, a lot of people of all ages cycle for transportation & exercise, me included. I'm in my mid 40s, and some of my neighbors who cycle are older than I am. The oldest is a man who's about 86 or 87.

There's nothing juvenile about cycling, and I don't think even skateboarding is juvenile when they are both sports and modes of transportation. Yes, some people even use skateboards to get around this city. They often skateboard in the bike lanes with us cyclists. I have even seen adults riding push scooters here, the Razor kind, but I have heard even Amish adults ride push scooters & bicycles in PA or Ohio.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:16 AM

44 posts, read 41,905 times
You are right.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
+1. I like to see people who aren't afraid to display their unconventional personal style. Plus, skateboarding is good exercise, so chances are he takes care of his body and has a decent set of abs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
I think people should wear whatever they want and if others don't like it they can stuff it. I love seeing older people with Manic Panic hair colors and clothing that they're happy and comfortable in. At least it shows older people aren't just boring fuddy duddies. It's not like we change into a different person just because we're older.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Hey, a lot of people of all ages cycle for transportation & exercise, me included. I'm in my mid 40s, and some of my neighbors who cycle are older than I am. The oldest is a man who's about 86 or 87.

There's nothing juvenile about cycling, and I don't think even skateboarding is juvenile when they are both sports and modes of transportation. Yes, some people even use skateboards to get around this city. They often skateboard in the bike lanes with us cyclists. I have even seen adults riding push scooters here, the Razor kind, but I have heard even Amish adults ride push scooters & bicycles in PA or Ohio.
All just a matter of opin and perception I'm sure. I did not mean bicycling is juvenile, I meant skateboarding, tho I can see how my statement was ambiguous. And I only mean sorta juvenile. Skateboarding is kinda for kids IOW. But again, NBD really. Unless yer some ole perv trying to pick up skater boys or something ...

Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I skateboarded up until 53~until I knew my bones couldnt take the hits anymore. I guess having fun and getting the most out of your life is a bad thing, too?
Having fun on your own or with your buddies is one thing. But going to the store or library dressed like that, and going after women your age who are in formal office attire, or otherwise well-dressed, hoping they'll find you to be a romantic prospect, is a little unrealistic.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
here in nyc (well mostly the ghetto areas), the fad was and remains to pull your pants down to the ground so they sag as you walk. it was taken from black culture (music videos, which took it from jail where it was a signal to other men that you were homo) but you can find anyone from that mentality doing that, regardless of age (i have seen a 50 something year old man do that). it amazes me mature grown men still do these foolish things that young 'uns (mostly rebellious teens i'd say) do. that's far worse than skater clothing.

that and a grown 40 year old man riding one of those razor scooters. i CRINGE when i see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty