Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,378,357 times

Advertisements

My skin is normal so I don't want a totally matte finish foundation because it makes my skin dry.

I prefer Chantecaille or Laura Mercier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,716,463 times
In the summer I just wear a range of Physicians Formula powders and blush... I use Model in a Bottle matte setting spray on top.

In the winter I use Physicans Formula tinted moisturizer and a little powders. I just bought the new Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation and I think it will do wonders for me in the winter weather.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,198,487 times
Chanel also has a good one called Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra light that is perfect for the summer.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM

659 posts, read 1,011,201 times
The only problem I have with Chanel is that they tend to be too pink or too yellow. I have a bottle I only used 2 times, my face looks almost red.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 PM

943 posts, read 1,837,278 times
i like to try the airbursh foundation. not the ones they have on tv the professiional ones Dinair

Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,198,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
i like to try the airbursh foundation. not the ones they have on tv the professiional ones Dinair
Airbrushing has always intriqued me but I've never it.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,148,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
It's intriguing -- but when I see the ads I yell -- CLOSE YOUR EYES! Freaks me out, the thought of spraying foundation in my eyes...

Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,254,399 times
I'm lazy and I don't like getting my fingers dirty, so I use a wet to dry foundation with a sponge.

At the moment I'm loving Elizabeth Arden...it's wonderful so easy to apply....just smooth it on.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:05 PM

491 posts, read 2,285,473 times
Bare Minerals, now owned by Shiseido, is one I've been using for many years. I also like Dermalogica, and Estee Lauder Resilience Lift compact makeup. I used Max Factor pancake when I was younger but it is too matte for me now - I like something with a bit of sheen. Go to a makeup counter and get a consultation or ask for samples. Foundation is the trickiest makeup to match and look good, so it's worth it to do some "field research."

Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,390,070 times
I hate foundation, but I need to start using one... ugh. I'm 43, and working with many peers younger then me with better skin.

My dermatologist recommended Bare Minerals for my acne prone, sensitive, pale, ruddy skin (I sound like a prior poster...).

So I went over to Nordstrom and Bare Minerals was relegated to the boonies (I think someone ?rolled their eyes when I asked where it was) with no active person at the counter. A pre-teen looking salesperson came over and put it on me and did a terrible job (I had watched a YouTube video on application techniques). As I was walking out, a more mature make-up person at a different counter actually stopped me and told me "that doesn't look good... that is the wrong foundation and wrong color for you..." Ugh. I knew she was right that it didn't look good, but I was hoping it was just the poor application. Part of me just wanted to sneak out, but then I thought I should go back and at least switch to a lighter shade.

But instead, on my way back to Bare Minerals, I got bamboozeled into a free "facial" and I bought Clarins Ever Matte foundation. Of course, a foundation looks better after you have been cleaned/hydrated/moisturized etc... Was I a sucker? Of course...

So is Bare Minerals on the outs? The Clarins rep was trying to imply the line is not as good/"pure" as it was?

Anyone using Clarins?

But honestly.... how do you guys afford trying foundation?!?! How can you spend 30 bucks a pop, try it for a few days, realize it is the wrong shade/wrong type/powder is bad/matte is bad/blah blah....

And honestly.... I hate going to make-up counters and I know they are more expensive, but I really need someone to help me try things and give me some feedback. Of course, I should know by now I can never trust what a salesperson tells me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty