Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
^This. Bespoke is relatively expensive, but for men, if you can get a well-cut blazer (this is probably the best investment, as it is what almost everyone will see and remember), a couple of shirts, and two pairs of coordinating pants with good ties, you will be in good shape. If you can't go bespoke all the way, get pants, jackets, and shirts that fit the largest part of you well, and then get the rest tailored down. Although people will tell you that big size differentials can't be negotiated, you can get specialty tailoring with a skilled seamster/ress who can help you maneuver among sizes. For example, because of bridesmaid obligations for my brother's wedding, I once had to get a size eight women's dress with lots of darting taken down to a zero/two for me--it can be done with a talented tailor. That was a difference in at least six sizes. And, whatever you do, don't wait until two weeks out from a special event to go shopping--desperation will force you to pay too much for something that won't look so great, and you will feel very frustrated and depressed. Men, just like women, should always have a couple of nicely-fitting outfits for more formal occasions on hand. Believe me, doing so will save you big headaches and expenses in the long run; men should scout out sales just like women do to find their equivalent of the little black dress that could serve them well for many occasions.

If you always have a couple of options on hand, you'll never be caught off guard. You can also go to a good department store and ask for the help of a personal shopper.
Yeah, the real issue for men's shirts on thin bodies is around the chest and sleeves. The armholes are cut big these days for that more relaxed fit. But with all that loose fabric, when you put on a jacket there's bunching and buckling in front. Not to mention the poster's problem of arm length. And the collar.

jdhall1, I hate to tell you this but if the collar doesn't fit your neck with a jacket on, return the shirt. If it's too late to shop for shirts, this might look too casual for your event but consider buying a lightweight v-neck pullover with a shirt that fits the collar no matter the sleeve length. You can still wear a tie and the pullover sleeves will cover the length of your arms. An added layer will help fill in the jacket and the front won't show bunching. But you need the collar to fit properly, not loose, because you'll look like you're playing dress-up in big clothes otherwise.

Luckily, they're cutting pullovers (and more shirts) slimmer now with slimmer armholes too. It's been a return to the nattier Mad Men style of the early '60s. Seriously, some of the armholes a couple of decades ago went halfway down the torso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM
DBF

78 posts, read 186,344 times
Default Great solution to Mens Clothing Fit issues

Hi All....

I am not sure where everyone lives but J.Hilburn Mens Clothing could be a great option. I started working with them about a year ago because my husband and sons all had fit issues...for a variety of reasons. As Diva260 pointed out a few good pieces are worth getting and you will find that you enjoy wearing great fitting clothes. The other "bonus" with J. Hilburn is that you have a Style Advisor come take your measurements and help with fit and styling options but it is NOT high pressure sales...in fact we only allow one shirt and one suit or slacks initially to make sure the fit is right. How many of you with fit issues also find very little selection - we fix that!

You can "private message" me for more info..and google J. Hilburn for info!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Big and Tall sections primarily focus on the "Big" portion, rather than "Tall".

For taller people, it's a lot harder because you can't just tack on fabric and call it a day. Shorter individuals can get their stuff hemmed to fit length-wise.
This is true. My son has a 36 inseam and it is hard to find jeans for him. I went to one of those stores and they had nothing, all of the sizes were very big. Sooo, he would need to be big AND tall, but not one or the other.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,474 times
Thanks everybody for the input so far, I see that other people have much bigger trouble with clothes than me. In My case I can find clothes that fit me in just about any store but my issue is my height because im 5' 4" or so and I am 160 to 165 pounds so I end up buying medium t shirts and pants are always too long. As far as suits go I have a couple but I haven't used them in a while so I don't even know if they fit anymore.

Last edited by 1orlando; 08-02-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
This is true. My son has a 36 inseam and it is hard to find jeans for him. I went to one of those stores and they had nothing, all of the sizes were very big. Sooo, he would need to be big AND tall, but not one or the other.
I also have a 36" inseam. Major department stores used to carry 36" inseams, but for some reason they stopped. At some, like J.C Penney, you can order many brands in a 36" inseam. I own some Polo pants by Ralph Lauren with a 36" inseam, but I checked their website and they no longer offer that size.

I have never had success at the "big and tall" stores. Their sizes appear to start with people who weight at least 350 lbs. Hopefully I don't grow into their sizes.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 08-02-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I also have a 36" inseam. Major department stores used to carry 36" inseams, but for some reason they stopped. At some, like J.C Penney, you can order many brands in a 36" inseam. I own some Polo pants by Ralph Lauren with a 36" inseam, but I checked their website and they no longer offer that size.

I have never had success at the "big and tall" stores. Their sizesappear to start with people who weight at least 350 lbs. Hopefully, I don't grow into their sizes.
I have had the hardest time. then to top it off, he is in a 15 shoe. Every once in a great while, I find jeans at Penneys and when I do, I grab several pair of them at a time.

My son is not quite thin, but I can never buy from the actual big and tall stores, or hardly the big and tall sections in the stores.

Then when I do find something such as a t shirt he will actually where that fits length-wise.....it shrinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty