Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times

Advertisements

I always read and hear about women's frustration with the way manufacturers make women's clothes and I understand their frustration, let me explain. As a man I can say that I believe men have to endure the same frustrations with clothes as women but to a lesser degree. I know from my own experience that being 5'4" and 160 pounds I have some trouble buying clothes because most manufacturers make clothes with certain men body types in mind. Jeans are always too long for me because of my height and as far as shirts goes, sometimes I have to buy medium and in a few ocassions large because of my body frame. Manufacturers think a man that wears a size small shirt is 120 pounds soaking wet. So when I put a small shirt on a lot of times is tight then a medium is a little loose but still tight and large is loose but long. I was wondering if some of the guys here have the same issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
My guys have trouble getting inseams long enough, as they are 6'4" and 6'8". And they both have a 38" sleeve.
I think they have a harder time than you do...

Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,948,686 times
Shirts are hard to pick out for me. T-shirts in particular. My shoulders and chest fill the whole t-shirt out. My arms are pretty good size too. I have to watch how I wear my t-shirts to bed. If I twist wrong, I wake up with them ripped out. I don't like baggy XXL shirts. You look like you are in da hood with them on. XL is usually what I wear. Once in awhile a Large will fit. They very by brand and style.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My guys have trouble getting inseams long enough, as they are 6'4" and 6'8". And they both have a 38" sleeve.
I think they have a harder time than you do...
They might be better off buying from the big and tall section or from a specialty store for big and tall men but then again those clothes sometimes are designed with men that are obese and out of shape

Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Ummm... yeah.
But even then the inseams/sleeve lengths are tough to find. Big and tall stores focus on the "big".....

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
They might be better off buying from the big and tall section or from a specialty store for big and tall men but then again those clothes sometimes are designed with men that are obese and out of shape
Big and Tall sections primarily focus on the "Big" portion, rather than "Tall".

For taller people, it's a lot harder because you can't just tack on fabric and call it a day. Shorter individuals can get their stuff hemmed to fit length-wise.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I dated a guy who couldn't buy a suit because he had very broad shoulders and a teeny waist -- his shoulders fit a 36 and his waist fit a 30... and you can't tailor that out or in that much.... so yeah -- there are guys with the same issues

Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
I a lot of fit issues with clothing, and I think I'm fairly normally proportioned at 5'9", about 170 lbs, 30-32 inch inseam and 33-34 inch waist. When I find pants that fit me in the waist, often times the crotch and butt are so tight I can't actually wear them. It's like they're shaped like a funnel. Also, it's hard to find jeans that aren't low-rise. Even when the tag says they supposedly "fit at the waist" they rarely do. Combine that fact with the funnel shape and you have pants that show half your crack any time you sit down or bend over. Dress shirts are also a nightmare for me. When I find one that fits my neck and has sleeves that are long enough, the rest is apparently designed for someone who weighs 100 pounds more than me. I have fairly large upper arms and shoulders, and I still find that most dress shirts have an absurd amount of material there (especially the arms). They look like the top half of a wingsuit!

Wingsuit flying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I find one that fits in the torso, the sleeves are way too short and it's almost impossible to find one with a large enough neck opening.

I even have trouble finding basic tshirts that fit right. A medium will usually fit me, but they're usually way too short. I don't tuck in my tshirts, but I couldn't anyway and they're so short they just barely cover my belt when I'm standing up. If I get a large size it may be a little longer but then it'll be waaay too big everywhere else. And half the time it'll be too long in the first place!

Sport coats and blazers are also difficult. I can get them with properly fitted chest, shoulders, sleeves, and even length, but they're always too large around my torso.

I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination, and it seems like most men's clothing these days is made with the assumption that everyone has an enormous gut and arms with a teeny tiny butt and crotch.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I a lot of fit issues with clothing, and I think I'm fairly normally proportioned at 5'9", about 170 lbs, 30-32 inch inseam and 33-34 inch waist. When I find pants that fit me in the waist, often times the crotch and butt are so tight I can't actually wear them. It's like they're shaped like a funnel. Also, it's hard to find jeans that aren't low-rise. Even when the tag says they supposedly "fit at the waist" they rarely do. Combine that fact with the funnel shape and you have pants that show half your crack any time you sit down or bend over. Dress shirts are also a nightmare for me. When I find one that fits my neck and has sleeves that are long enough, the rest is apparently designed for someone who weighs 100 pounds more than me. I have fairly large upper arms and shoulders, and I still find that most dress shirts have an absurd amount of material there (especially the arms). They look like the top half of a wingsuit!

Wingsuit flying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I find one that fits in the torso, the sleeves are way too short and it's almost impossible to find one with a large enough neck opening.

I even have trouble finding basic tshirts that fit right. A medium will usually fit me, but they're usually way too short. I don't tuck in my tshirts, but I couldn't anyway and they're so short they just barely cover my belt when I'm standing up. If I get a large size it may be a little longer but then it'll be waaay too big everywhere else. And half the time it'll be too long in the first place!

Sport coats and blazers are also difficult. I can get them with properly fitted chest, shoulders, sleeves, and even length, but they're always too large around my torso.

I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination, and it seems like most men's clothing these days is made with the assumption that everyone has an enormous gut and arms with a teeny tiny butt and crotch.
I understand. I usually buy between small and medium shirts but I have a little trouble around the waist because eventhough I'm not fat I have a little bit of fat around the waist and those shirts are narrow in the bottom. I would have to be carring a very low bodyfat percentage to wear some of them. I usually buy cheap tshirts at Walmart and get some better ones at buckle but at 25 to 30 bucks for a lower price t shirt at buckle my budget is limited

Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Dress shirts are also a nightmare for me. When I find one that fits my neck and has sleeves that are long enough, the rest is apparently designed for someone who weighs 100 pounds more than me.
If they still make them, look for European cut dress shirts -- those are usually for a slimmer build.

But I do know what you mean. I always thought Dr. Phil was fat, till I saw him in a magazine on a trip somewhere wearing a tee shirt that fit. Apparently, he gets his dress shirts from Omar the tentmaker, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty