Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times

Advertisements

I admit...I love "people watching" when I am out and about...and some of the this gs I see...just makes me shake my head...what is with these folks? Do they really think they look okay in that outfit two sizes too small? What was that guy this king when he bought those Nike shoes with every color of the rainbow on them? And don't even get me started on the skin tight leopard pants I saw yesterday...on a woman about 50 years old.

What is with some folks? Do they have no fashion sense? Do they have no clue about how awful they look? Do they not care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM

2,155 posts, read 2,294,530 times
I think a lot of folks are not people watchers. So they're not conscious of how they come across in public. Or they don't care. I am a people watcher too, so I make sure I look presentable when I'm out and about. You know what really gets me, is how people treat the company they are with. That is a real eye opener and a window into private relationships.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
That is really true. I have noticed something else..fat folks are usually with other fat folks..thin people are with other thin folks. It is rare to see a really large person with a thinner partner.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM

Yep, true. And also, you rarely see the person with the ill-fitted leopard pants with someone in a properly tailored suit. Usually peas in a pod...rofl

It really is fun to people watch.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,669,501 times
Personally I find it extremely childish. Its one thing to look up or let your eyes wander every now and then but for those who have to analyze every single body shape, clothing decision, hair style, etc and scream/laugh in order to alert the rest of the public to that person's presence seems quite immature to me. A person shouldnt have to be tempted to check youtube or craigslist for videos or statements about what they looked like when going out shopping. Regardless of being vocal about others decisions I just find it lacking in manners for everyone to be staring at others. Maybe its the way I was raised but if unless you know someone dont look at them. Not sure why people just cant be indifferent when it comes to others.

As for the OP/MOD's question, no i have no fashion sense. I gave that stuff up when i got out of high school. Only clothing things i keep up on are whatever is required for me to wear to work and im not talking about fancy stuff at an office. Im talking buy the cheapest tshirts and jeans you can because theyre going to get rips, holes, grease, food, trash all over them. After that its straight home to repeat the same process the next day. Im married so i am no longer trying to impress on anyone or find a mate. All that stuff went out when we got married. Now we both just like to be comfortable. For better or for worse.....thats what we promised each other. Whether she gains 50 pounds and loses all of her hair or loses 50 pounds and wears sweat suits with high heels im going to love her just as much as I ever did. She is the same with me. As for those others that I see when im out i have no opinion on them because im not married to them, i dont know them, and their choices are none of my business.

Last edited by pythonis; 07-16-2012 at 05:14 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
I love people watching. Fabircating stories about the body language you observe, taking notes on fashion trends (or lack there of). I notice the women who look like they have been standing around in their heels too long. The trend-oid people who are wearing every trend at once, like the hipster I saw with skinny jeans, a neon pink skinny tie and neon yellow shoes (that was too hipster) with a hat. I think it is amusing and meaningless.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes, same here Jade. It is a harmless and fun was to pass the time. Nothing is published in stone. Just good old fashioned sizing up the other folks out there. Me and my little ones sometimes try guess the names of those passing by while we're waiting in a parking lot or line in a store. It is really fun and a great time to teach them that you can't judge a book by its cover.

My grandmother loved people watching. It was one of the sweetest things I remember about her. She was very observant and quick to lend a hand when needed.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM

484 posts, read 852,852 times
I like to people/fashion watching. Get ideas from others.

I don't make comments of their choices, fashion is a very individualized art of being, and form of personal expression.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,343,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

What is with some folks? Do they have no fashion sense?
Do they have no clue about how awful they look? Do they not care?

"Fashion sense" is controlling and expensive.

Who cares what anyone else thinks.

I wear what I like that is decent and comfortable.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:58 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,589,652 times
Quote:
And don't even get me started on the skin tight leopard pants I saw yesterday...on a woman about 50 years old.
Depending on the woman's physique, some middle-age men probably would appreciate more women dressed like that.

Beauty is only in the eye of the beholder. Just because you think a style does not look good, does not mean that other people will feel the same way. Like with the thread concerning overweight women and tight clothing...as a man, I had to definitely disagree to most extents with the OP. And yes, many men would agree with me. So what I am trying to say is unless something is universally unacceptable...let people express themselves the way they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty