Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I haven't learned anything that I already didn't know. :/ Most fat folks know that being obese is a burden on their health despite what they might say or do. They're not going to suddenly change their ways because they read your thread.

If people want to risk their health by being obese that's on them.
I think her point was that the fat acceptance movement spends a lot of time saying plus sized women are perfectly normal and healthy and not plus sized at all, glossing over the health risks of carrying extra weight in order to soothe low self esteem.

And it is a bit unfair that every couple months a new thread pops up along the lines of "OMGZ SKINNY MODELS ARE SO GROSS!!!" Which is promptly followed by posts containing the same ol' cliches: "men love meat, not bones, she looks like a twelve year old boy, gay men choose skinny models because they look more like men, and I just want to shove a cheeseburger down that twig's throat" (why is it always a cheeseburger?). These threads are heralded at positive and promoting of "real" women.

Not so many people hopping onto this thread to call an unhealthily overweight women gross or say she should have eaten fewer cheeseburgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I think her point was that the fat acceptance movement spends a lot of time saying plus sized women are perfectly normal and healthy and not plus sized at all, glossing over the health risks of carrying extra weight in order to soothe low self esteem.

And it is a bit unfair that every couple months a new thread pops up along the lines of "OMGZ SKINNY MODELS ARE SO GROSS!!!" Which is promptly followed by posts containing the same ol' cliches: "men love meat, not bones, she looks like a twelve year old boy, gay men choose skinny models because they look more like men, and I just want to shove a cheeseburger down that twig's throat" (why is it always a cheeseburger?). These threads are heralded at positive and promoting of "real" women.

Not so many people hopping onto this thread to call an unhealthily overweight women gross or say she should have eaten fewer cheeseburgers.

I guess it's not 'a bit unfair' then every other week a thread about fat people is popping up. (fat people that have yet to read a thread and immediately change their eating habits).

Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I guess it's not 'a bit unfair' then every other week a thread about fat people is popping up. (fat people that have yet to read a thread and immediately change their eating habits).
In Fashion and Beauty? Calling fat people disgusting? Not really. I looked back a few pages, the only one that comes close is the one about overweight women in tight clothing, which was really bashing their clothing choices more than the women themselves.

Call a model disgusting and hideous and you're a crusader. Call attention to the health risks of obesity and you get jumped on .

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
In Fashion and Beauty? Calling fat people disgusting? Not really. I looked back a few pages, the only one that comes close is the one about overweight women in tight clothing, which was really bashing their clothing choices more than the women themselves.

Call a model disgusting and hideous and you're a crusader. Call attention to the health risks of obesity and you get jumped on .

but you didn't say 'fashion and beauty' you said a thread popping up every other month. And actually there's one in psychology going about fat people being disgusting and undeserving of respect as humans. I don't call models disgusting or hideous; I get annoyed they get held out as the only viable option for women to look like and rest get slammed for the most part...Most of these people aren't "calling attention to health risks out of concern" anyways, lets be real here, they are more interested in regurgitating how nobody likes fat people. Noted.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
calling attention to the health risks of extra weight is not what people "bash"...what people bash is when you can't look past their weight, and see the person....most obese people (I would think)...probably KNOW the health risks better than anyone else.....just like most smokers know the health risks....and most drinkers know the health risks......Anyone who would call someone they don't know "disgusting and hideous'...is no crusader in my books...nor anyone elses that I know...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
but you didn't say 'fashion and beauty' you said a thread popping up every other month. And actually there's one in psychology going about fat people being disgusting and undeserving of respect as humans. I don't call models disgusting or hideous; I get annoyed they get held out as the only viable option for women to look like and rest get slammed for the most part...Most of these people aren't "calling attention to health risks out of concern" anyways, lets be real here, they are more interested in regurgitating how nobody likes fat people. Noted.
Eh, it was implied seeing as that's the board we're in. Of course there are fat related threads on other boards, there are whole boards devoted to diet and fitness.

Why would someone just want to bash fat people? If you think they aren't concerned about the health of the nation, then why are they saying anything at all?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM

749 posts, read 838,681 times
The obese out there can deny it all they care to, but they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice. When you live life at that high of a weight, you are courting disaster. At best....you are inevitably cheating yourself out of many years of living, loving, and enjoying what this planet has to offer. At worst....you are a ticking time-bomb, a time-bomb that can go off at any moment. If you're lucky, you'll just conk out for good. If not, you'll lay in a hospital bed for an infinite amount of time, racking up a bill that you'll most likely not be able to pay down in 10 lifetimes....thereby passing it off, disguised as higher insurance premiums.

Don't believe it? Put down that bowl of ice cream, go see your physician and request a stress test and have your blood checked for cholesterol levels. If no one else cares, you at the very least owe it to yourself.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Eh, it was implied seeing as that's the board we're in. Of course there are fat related threads on other boards, there are whole boards devoted to diet and fitness.

Why would someone just want to bash fat people? If you think they aren't concerned about the health of the nation, then why are they saying anything at all?
If they were really concerned, they would make their posts in such a way that upholds the dignity and value of an overweight person as a human being. I'm not saying that this thread is guilty, but most of the other obesity related threads are examples of people with an ax to grind taking to their keyboards to vent a little about how "I saw a fat person today and it ruined everything for me..."

If they want to promote weight loss in an inteligent manner, I welcome that. Most are done in a tactless, disrespectful, and belittling way.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
calling attention to the health risks of extra weight is not what people "bash"...what people bash is when you can't look past their weight, and see the person....most obese people (I would think)...probably KNOW the health risks better than anyone else.....just like most smokers know the health risks....and most drinkers know the health risks......Anyone who would call someone they don't know "disgusting and hideous'...is no crusader in my books...nor anyone elses that I know...

Well if they know about health...why didn't she know to go off BC and address other health issues etc before having that done when the procedure is risky enough itself? You won't die from a painful knee.

Why do they deny having weight on adds to risk?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The real question is, why is someones health relevant in a conversation about clothing choices. It is very similar when someone announces an expansion of sizes or a new plus line, people claim it is "promoting obesity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty