Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I haven't learned anything that I already didn't know. :/ Most fat folks know that being obese is a burden on their health despite what they might say or do. They're not going to suddenly change their ways because they read your thread.

If people want to risk their health by being obese that's on them.

Its on you too. Enjoy those taxes and pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
The tubby's out there can deny it all they care to, but they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice. When you live life as a tub of goo, you are courting disaster. At best....you are inevitably cheating yourself out of many years of living, loving, and enjoying what this planet has to offer. At worst....you are a ticking time-bomb, a time-bomb that can go off at any moment. If you're lucky, you'll just conk out for good. If not, you'll lay in a hospital bed for an infinite amount of time, racking up a bill that you'll most likely not be able to pay down in 10 lifetimes....thereby passing it off, disguised as higher insurance premiums.

Don't believe it? Put down that bowl of ice cream, go see your physician and request a stress test and have your blood checked for cholesterol levels. If no one else cares, you at the very least owe it to yourself.
See this? I'm right again. Not that Lefty is wrong with his overall point that overweight people have certain health risks, but his lack of self control in being able to communicate that message in a manner which preserves the dignity of an overweight person. For example:

-"The tubby's out there..." (I think he means "tubbies" - plural not possessive, Lefty) Why does he have to use such thoughtless language?

-"When you live life as a tub of goo..." Again, why such a belittling choice of words?

-"Put down that bowl of ice cream..." Assumes ignorance and inaction on the part of an overweight person, which may not always be the case.

This is just one example of someone who has a legitimate point to make, but clouds up the usefulness of his message mith mindless drivel. Why not just make your point? Why do you have to be mean about it?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
See this? I'm right again. Not that Lefty is wrong with his overall point that overweight people have certain health risks, but his lack of self control in being able to communicate that message in a manner which preserves the dignity of an overweight person. For example:

-"The tubby's out there..." (I think he means "tubbies" - plural not possessive, Lefty) Why does he have to use such thoughtless language?

-"When you live life as a tub of goo..." Again, why such a belittling choice of words?

-"Put down that bowl of ice cream..." Assumes ignorance and inaction on the part of an overweight person, which may not always be the case.

This is just one example of someone who has a legitimate point to make, but clouds up the usefulness of his message mith mindless drivel. Why not just make your point? Why do you have to be mean about it?
Indeed, those are the types of comments you see on skinny women threads as well, though I don't see many people talking about how skinny women deserve to be treated as human beings, are aware of health issues associated with their weight, and everyone should just shut up about it and leave them alone.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I think her point was that the fat acceptance movement spends a lot of time saying plus sized women are perfectly normal and healthy and not plus sized at all, glossing over the health risks of carrying extra weight in order to soothe low self esteem.

And it is a bit unfair that every couple months a new thread pops up along the lines of "OMGZ SKINNY MODELS ARE SO GROSS!!!" Which is promptly followed by posts containing the same ol' cliches: "men love meat, not bones, she looks like a twelve year old boy, gay men choose skinny models because they look more like men, and I just want to shove a cheeseburger down that twig's throat" (why is it always a cheeseburger?). These threads are heralded at positive and promoting of "real" women.

Not so many people hopping onto this thread to call an unhealthily overweight women gross or say she should have eaten fewer cheeseburgers.
I know what the OP meant but my point still stands. Fat people know that carrying excess weight is unhealthy. It doesn't matter what the fat acceptance movement says. Deep down inside they know that it's unhealthy to be obese.

The OP is not saying anything earth shattering here. It would be like me writing a post on the dangers of crack. We all know that smoking crack is bad. Crack addicts don't smoke it because they're ignorant. They smoke it because their desire for crack overrides their desire to be healthy.

The OP is delusional if she thinks some fat person is going to read her post and suddenly change their ways because of it.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Indeed, those are the types of comments you see on skinny women threads as well, though I don't see many people talking about how skinny women deserve to be treated as human beings, are aware of health issues associated with their weight, and everyone should just shut up about it and leave them alone.
I would. If I ever saw those comments directed toward skinny people. The truth is that I have not seen a downright mean-spirited "skinny person" thread. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I have not seen one. In just the past two weeks, I've seen several targeting overweight people.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM

749 posts, read 838,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Show me in my post where I said "tubby" or some of the other hurtful things? Trying to add fuel to the fire by taking out of context?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I know what the OP meant but my point still stands. Fat people know that carrying excess weight is unhealthy. It doesn't matter what the fat acceptance movement says. Deep down inside they know that it's unhealthy to be obese.

The OP is not saying anything earth shattering here. It would be like me writing a post on the dangers of crack. We all know that smoking crack is bad. Crack addicts don't smoke it because they're ignorant. They smoke it because their desire for crack overrides their desire to be healthy.

The OP is delusional if she thinks some fat person is going to read her post and suddenly change their ways because of it.
But couldn't you say that about any opinion expressed online?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its on you too. Enjoy those taxes and pollution.
So what? A lot of things are on me. People with too many kids are on me. Illegal immigrants are on me. Corrupt and greedy politicians are on me.

Fat people are the least of my worries.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Eh, it was implied seeing as that's the board we're in. Of course there are fat related threads on other boards, there are whole boards devoted to diet and fitness.

Why would someone just want to bash fat people? If you think they aren't concerned about the health of the nation, then why are they saying anything at all?

post #28.

ttyl.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I know how people love to rant on about thin models being unhealthy.

Here is the other side of the coin people are OPENLY embracing with the body acceptance movement taken to the extreme by some.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386050/Mia-Amber-Davis-Road-Trip-Actress-plus-size-model-dies-36.html

Being overweight will do two things: Add damage to your knee or aggravate old injury and increase your chance of blood clots post surgery.

At the time of her having knee issues she was over 300 lbs.

Know what you are promoting as body acceptance is not always a good thing when people lose sight of reason and common sense.

I have to wonder if women like this don't lose weight to stay in touch with fans and to keep working within the image they have made marketable.

This girl was lovely and funny...Now she is gone.

Don't promote obesity and call it body acceptance.

There is a huge difference in accepting shallow flaws and accepting dangerous weights that damage the body. If you love yourself and your body you will take care if it. Not abuse it and call it acceptance.
Could not have said it better! There are actually groups designed to provide support of being obese. I wish they understood the health aspects. If they truly did, these groups would not be in place. I am not referring to the ones with its' members making attempts to change, but the ones where it is celebrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty