Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Personally I hate tattoos. I doubt I'll ever get any and I cannot fathom why anyone would want a bunch of tattoos all over their body. But...to each his or her own. I have lots of friends with tattoos and I've dated guys with tattoos. I just don't like them for myself.
Strawberry, this is how my boyfriend is as well. He has no problem with my tattoos, does have places he would rather I not get them, however. He would never have one of his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
In my opinion, any tatoos are self mutilation. Just dumb -- why would you do that to yourself.

But I want you to all keep in mind -- I just had my upper lip threaded for the first time and I've had an ice pack on it for an hour....

Pick your self mutilation.

It's all relative. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean the rest of the world has to do it my way.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I'm a strange person. I don't hate or love tattoos - I think that one or two are fine.

But when people start being tattoed people - rather than just people, and the first thing you notice about them is not their personality or other aspects of their appearance, I do think some line has been crossed.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My boyfriend would never, ever, in a million years get a tattoo. But he's cool with mine. And, yes, he knew about both of them before we started dating...and (gasp) dated me anyway.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Yes. But as long as nobody gets hurt then I could not care less. I find it unattractive in the extreme and off putting but people's bodies are their own to do as they wish no matter how silly I might find it.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Live and let live!!

It is not yours to question.
Whadya, crazy??!!!

If an attitude like yours got around, fifty percent of the postings in C-D would vanish.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
There is a 26 year old woman from South America that is a friend of the family. She has the early stages of a right arm sleeve tatts.. I was told how expensive they were..They are really bad art and conceptually bad..silly messages that mean nothing- Her left arm is clear- One thing I noticed about this young woman- She has the most beautiful skin I have ever seen- it is also like silk to the touch...As she parts we hug..and she kisses the old man of the house goodbye..Touching her left normal arm is a pleasure. I would not touch the tattooed arm because I expect to feel leather...It's does not enhance her beauty..Someone with such perfect skin...was foolish to tamper with perfection- I can tell she knows I don't approve..but even if she regrets the tatts...she is to proud to admit it was a mistake.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Tattoos don't make skin feel like leather. You're welcome to refrain from touching whomever you'd like, I'd expect...but the ink is deposited under the epidermis, and doesn't change the texture of one's skin once the epidermis heals after the initial needlework, which happens as quickly as any other minor skin abrasion. Once a tattoo heals, the skin feels no different than surrounding skin, unless there are other extenuating skin problems.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Tattoos don't make skin feel like leather. You're welcome to refrain from touching whomever you'd like, I'd expect...but the ink is deposited under the epidermis, and doesn't change the texture of one's skin once the epidermis heals after the initial needlework, which happens as quickly as any other minor skin abrasion. Once a tattoo heals, the skin feels no different than surrounding skin, unless there are other extenuating skin problems.
My last tattoo took much longer to heal. Four months for the whole thing to heal. The light aqua in it wouldn't heal and stayed raised and has finally healed. My bf said it felt like lizard skin, and it kinda did. Now it is smooth as the rest of my skin.

I have seen some darker complected people whose tattoos did not heal properly and were raised like scars. I would imagine these may the same people who might have a problem with keloids.

My bf touches my skin, tattooed or not, and never wigs out on me, lol.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I'm not talking about the tramp stamp or a single or two tattoos. I'm talking about people whose bodies are covered. Why do people do this?

I saw something on TV which mentioned this degree of tattooing. Someone in the program suggested this is an alternative to cutting, or perhaps to cover up evidence of cutting. In other words, a form of self-mutilation.

So I have to ask, why would someone cover themselves in tattoos? What's the attraction? I can't understand why someone would do this to their body.
Personally I'd rather see a nice tattoo than an old guy/gal whos hair is black because they dye it every month.....now THAT'S not good for you.....is that self mutilation?...People get tattoos for a number of reasons....sometimes it's a memorial to someone they loved and lost....sometimes the tattoo can have other meanings.....whatever.....I wouldn't call it any more self-mutilating than the way some people shave their bodies every day, and then plaster makeup on to make them look like something they're not....to me...THAT'S self mutilating.....what about the plastic surgery that's a HUGE multi-million doller maker for the docs.....tell me THAT's not mutilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty