Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
"Biggest," huh? As compared to what?
http://www.statisticbrain.com/tattoo-statistics/

According to this only around 11% of people get their tattoos removed.

I think a lot of people want to believe that the majority of those with tattoos desperately want to get them removed because they're afraid that these people made a decision that they actually like, and that they don't agree with.

I love my tattoos and the only reason I would want to get any of them removed is because I sneezed during part of my lower arm tattoo and one of the rose vines is a bit too thick. Nobody else has ever noticed it, but it's really not worth getting re-done. It's about 1/2" long and about twice as thick as the rest of the lines. No big.

And people with tattoos are still the minority regardless of age group. Its' just that you don't notice those without tattoos so you tend to ignore them. They don't stand out, but the ones who have tattoos do stand out and so you remember them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Yeah, I actually like my design work...it's not like I decided to get some prison quality tatt of Tinkerbell flipping the bird on my boob, and now find it embarrassing and need to get it lasered off...I thought my work through for years before getting it...no regrets, here.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
[url]

And people with tattoos are still the minority regardless of age group. Its' just that you don't notice those without tattoos so you tend to ignore them. They don't stand out, but the ones who have tattoos do stand out and so you remember them.
I think it is amazing that almost 40% of people under 40 have tattoos. That is a huge number!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
What percentage of those people have work that's visible to others on a daily basis, I wonder. If I don't specifically choose to show either of mine, nobody except my SO would ever know I have them. They are both easily and typically concealed by everyday clothes.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What percentage of those people have work that's visible to others on a daily basis, I wonder. If I don't specifically choose to show either of mine, nobody except my SO would ever know I have them. They are both easily and typically concealed by everyday clothes.
This reminds me of a rather funny story. I was meeting with some clients with my boss (A VP of a rather large Aerospace company) and I dressed up rather nice (pencil skirt, jacket, nice shirt and heels) and my tattoos were completely covered up. We went to dinner and one of the waitresses had a small tattoo on her wrist. The VP decided to go on a mini rant about how slovenly and horrible people were who had tattoos, and that he would never even SPEAK with someone who made such a dumb decision. My boss was just looking at me, waiting for a reaction, but I decided to smile and nod. Later on in the evening, after he told my boss that I was one of the 'smartest women he'd met' and that 'he'd be stupid to ever let me go' (which, oddly he did about a year later) I decided to slyly reach over for some salt and show the top of my tattoo. He definitely saw it and looked really confused.

He never said anything about it, but did offer me a job about 3 months ago, but I didn't want to move to Georgia I hope that night changed the mind of one person...

Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it is amazing that almost 40% of people under 40 have tattoos. That is a huge number!
It is big, but still not the majority.

And they do count tattoos if they're tiny little wrist or ankle tattoos that took 10 minutes to do. Personally, I don't really count those

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It is big, but still not the majority.

And they do count tattoos if they're tiny little wrist or ankle tattoos that took 10 minutes to do. Personally, I don't really count those
Hahahah! I don't see those very often anymore it seems. About 10 years ago, yes. Now it seems like it sleeves or nothing.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hahahah! I don't see those very often anymore it seems. About 10 years ago, yes. Now it seems like it sleeves or nothing.
I see waaaaaay more of the tiny 'sticker tattoos' as we call them. Of course, I live on the California coast where every sorority girl absolutely needs to get a dolphin or star on their ankle, or some word on their wrist. I've found 'Wisdom' and 'Faith' in super curly cursive script is quite popular

I rarely see sleeves, but I always seem to stare whenever I do, especially when they're on men. I've never liked tattoos above the collarbone or on the face/head or hands though. Even I draw the line somewhere

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
no it is a voluntary type of branding. its a self labeling process in which the disenfranchised can assist society in culling themselves from the herd early. it is bible prophesy being fulfilled b4 our eyes, mark of the beast. 40% of young people have them. tattoos are like facebook, fun, kind of sexy, spur of the moment stuff, that is permanent.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no it is a voluntary type of branding. its a self labeling process in which the disenfranchised can assist society in culling themselves from the herd early. it is bible prophesy being fulfilled b4 our eyes, mark of the beast. 40% of young people have them.
Culling? Maybe we're starting our own herd and leaving everyone else behind

And I'm far from disenfranchised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty