Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 01:34 PM

24,462 posts, read 10,793,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Sry...but it’s super hard for us as women to find good employment without them, unless we are happy with cutting hair or working retail. Isn’t that the subject of the thread tho...plastic surgery or a degree? I recommend taking the degree & finding a good job. edit: then anything is impossible.. if I wanted to get implants or braces or lip injections or anything, I’d do it for myself & not for a man.
Us women? No Lemmon here. I never worked retail or cut hair nor have I ever relied on my physical appearance But a good hair dresser in small town USA can hit the 6-figure mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,569,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Sorry, degrees are absolutely overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Us women? No Lemmon here. I never worked retail or cut hair nor have I ever relied on my physical appearance But a good hair dresser in small town USA can hit the 6-figure mark.

I never relied on my physical appearance.....I went to college. You said that degrees are overrated but IMO.....we need to be financially independent before a serious relationship & before we make decisions about plastic surgery. My college degree is why I’m able to make a lot of money while only working part time tho...a hairdresser couldn’t.

edit: AND...that’s what the thread is ofc...plastic surgery or a degree. How are any of us going to have plastic surgery if we don’t have a good job to pay for it? It makes no sense.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-21-2021 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 PM

10,346 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
This is super old fashioned from older generations IMO....it’s 2021.
I don’t know about that. I see a fair amount of women getting plastic surgery. They are often getting it to be more attractive. Why? probably to attract more suitors. In a way it is for themselves as it makes them more happy to get attention.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don’t know about that. I see a fair amount of women getting plastic surgery. They are often getting it to be more attractive. Why? probably to attract more suitors. In a way it is for themselves as it makes them more happy to get attention.

Cosmetic surgery isn’t old fashioned....I work for a grp of cosmetic surgeons. It’s old fashioned to get cosmetic surgery over a degree to land a rich husband tho. Never heard that trend.. Did older generations used to do it?

Old 02-23-2021, 08:43 AM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems with all the focus on looks of women I would be better off getting plastic surgery than going back to get my degree.

Does it seem for women nowadays that its more profitable to get surgery to improve their looks vs getting a college degree?
There have been studies that prove beautiful people get treated better and make more money.
Also,plenty of people with Bachelor's Degrees who can't find employment.

What do you think?

Maybe I should have posted this in the non romantic relationships forum?
Or the Finanacial section under personal?
You still have to have a marketable skill in order to get a job and "make more money" than an average BA graduate, and I don't mean the world's oldest profession when I say "marketable skill"! I don't think that's what you have in mind, either.

No one's going to hire you to be an office ornament, except in rare cases. Maybe consider getting a community college office technology 2-year degree.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:53 AM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
The original premise of this thread was that getting plastic surgery would allow a woman to marry well vs getting a degree and still have to work.
Around the time this thread was made there were plenty of social media personalities promoting the idea that men do not care about degrees but about looks and that the money used for a degree would be better put toward appearance and plastic surgery.

In any event,beautiful people still get paid more than average people. So there is that.
You didn't state that in the OP. That's a completely different question. No one reading your OP would have guessed that you had marriage in mind as part of the surgery option. Too bad you didn't make that clear 9 years ago. Instead, your OP said beautiful women "make more money", so everyone thought you were talking about the impact either option would have on work/career.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Cosmetic surgery isn’t old fashioned....I work for a grp of cosmetic surgeons. It’s old fashioned to get cosmetic surgery over a degree to land a rich husband tho. Never heard that trend.. Did older generations used to do it?
As usual you try to twist a post to fit your opinion. I understand now why someone sent me a dm about you doing that. I didn’t say cosmetic surgery itself was old fashioned, so stop twisting it.
you are living in a bubble. Women have always done things to improve their looks to attract a mate and still do. Cosmetic surgery is just another option. It’s not just older generations. Stop stereotyping.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:27 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Many women who have work done don't do it to attract men first and foremost. There's a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way, to not look old, to smooth out the flab, to plump up the feature. That pressure is partially internal, and often stems from impressing other women, not men. Or they just want to like what they see in the mirror, for their own reasons.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-23-2021 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-23-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
The original premise of this thread was that getting plastic surgery would allow a woman to marry well vs getting a degree and still have to work.

Quote:
Well then you are living in a bubble. Women have always done things to improve their looks to attract a mate and still do.

But doing something to look or feel our best is totally different than not getting a degree or good job in favor of cosmetic surgery tho.

edit: AND looking & feeling our best is about nutrition, fitness, health, fashion, skin & hair care....it does not involve cosmetic surgery for most of us.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-23-2021 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-23-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Many women who have work done don't do it to attract men first and foremost. There's a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way, to not look old, to smooth out the flab, to plump up the feature. That pressure is partially internal, and often stems from impressing other women, not men. Or they just want to like what they see in the mirror, for their own reasons.
But what do you think causes that pressure to look better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty