Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM

19,714 posts, read 20,244,680 times

Advertisements

Cleanse: Raw African black soap

Moisturize: Aloe Vera gel

Undereyes &/or problem areas: Shea butter & Coconut oil mixed w/ a couple drops of lavender. ( I mix a batch & keep in a small jar)

That's it. About once a week, I will do an oil cleansing facial massage (castor oil, coconut & vitamin e oil), steam, and exfoliate w/ a soft wash cloth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Just diagnosed with rosacea and it certainly changed my happy-go-lucky routine (mild soap, moisturizer, sun block, walk out the door) into a more fixed one, alas.

Now I have a ton of rosacea-specific product and it pains me to say that it takes more than 10 minutes in the morning and evening. I do like the Rosacea Care line, although my dermatologist likes the much-more-expensive Obagi and Epionce lines.

Finding a foundation that doesn't aggravate the rosacea has been difficult.
I have rosacea, too -- and I really like the Tarte tinted moisturizer. I pat it on, and it covers just enough, but I'm not that red any more. A lot of people like the mineral powders, but they are too dry on me and the buffing required it too harsh on my skin. But a lot of places will sell you samples -- so you can try them for yourself.

What do you use besides Metrogel? I can still go from shower to out the door in 20 minutes even with rosacea....

Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Eye creams, neck creams, Vitamin C creams, peptides, enzymes?....are all these skin care products even needed? Or are companies just taking advantage of people's (mostly women) vanity?

Can all these creams (and the chemicals they contain) be good for one's skin. Is any of the improvement they promise permanent of long term?

I'm not talking about treatments for a true skin condition -- and I don't just mean wrinkling or dryness. And I suppose there's no harm in occasionally using a cream that plumps your wrinkles to make them less noticeable. But if people tried everything that's out there their skin care routine would have 10 steps a day to it.

Seems to me the best skin care is just wash your face, exfoliate a bit, don't expose yourself to too much sun, eat and drink healthily...and that's it. Or is that to simple?

If all these enzyme and peptide creams work, please, do tell. I'm not AGAINST them. I'm just curious as to whether they're worth the money...as opposed the the 'basic chemical free routine' I mentioned above.
Actually, there are studies that show that some of these creams work (Vitamin C on collagen synthesis
Effect of vitamin C and its derivatives on ... [Int J Cosmet Sci. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI, Topically applied vitamin C enhances the m... [J Invest Dermatol. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI). I guess you can try formulate your own "chemical free" vitamin c with fruit acids but unlike commercial products which have been thoroughly tested so they don't end up with getting sued if something went wrong, you can give yourself a chemical burn if you go overboard with say, an extra squeeze of lemon juice in your face mask.

I wouldn't say they're necessary "needed" but why age normally when I could with intervention age as gracefully as possible? I spice, pepper and salt my food even when they're not needed. I apply the same approach to skincare.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 PM

192 posts, read 348,469 times
Wash face with Aphrodite's Embrace honey face and lip exfoliating scrub.
Balance PH with Aphrodite's Embrace face toner, brightener, and blemish zapper.
For makeup I use Aphrodite's Embrace bubble gum pink blush, kohl eyeliner, and soft brown eyeshadow.
Thats it.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Morning :

Wash with Pond's facial wash
Pond's facial toner
Oil of Olay Total Effects Day Cream with SPF
Smashbox Photo Finish Face Primer
Maybeline BB Cream

Night:

Maybeline Make Up Remover
Pond's Facial Wash
Pond's Facial Toner
Pond's Hydra Moisturizer

Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
I don't have a skin-care routine

I shower once a day, using regular soap* (the same as I use for the rest of me).
I'm 40, and don't use any products specialized for the face.
Only cosmetic I wear is bit of lipstick-the removal method is just wiping off with tissue.

*Am a bit particular about which soaps I'll use, though-have to be mild/sensitive type.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Funny how everyone honed in on facial skin care, when the first post never said face.

My facial skin care routine...
Morning:
Prescription cleanser with anti-acne properties

Night:
Prescription cleanser with anti-acne properties
Alpha-hydroxy lotion
(maybe 6/7 nights) One of two different strengths of Retin-A in a few places not covered by that lotion

Rarely any acne and the skin isn't visibly aging.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 PM

303 posts, read 540,121 times
Morning shower:
• St. Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Scrub Blemish & Blackhead Control and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash for my face
• Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Body Wash and/or St. Ives Revitalizing Pear & Soy Body Wash for my body
• occasionally a pumice stone on my feet

Post-shower:
• Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer Sensitive Skin SPF 15 for my face
• Suave Skin Therapy Advanced Therapy Moisturizer for my body

Night:
• more of both lotions
• Neutrogena Make Up Remover Cleansing Towelettes to remove makeup

I am 23 with dry skin. Didn't have a lot of problems with acne growing up. My boyfriend (age 26) has very oily skin and was on prescription meds for acne growing up. I get Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser for him and he uses it in the shower 2-3 times daily and very rarely breaks out anymore.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I'm 58 and basically follow a skin regimen that I saw on Dr. Oz for fair skin. Clean face at night with facial cleaning wipes (I use Neutrogena wipes that I get in bulk from Costco at a good price). Apply retinol and let it set for at least 30 minutes. Then I apply moisturizer - I just use a better brand drugstore moisturizer like Cetaphil or CeraVe. Don't like the fake floral, chemical smell of the less expensive brands.

In morning, clean face with a foaming facial cleanser and apply moisturizer (again usually Cetaphil or CeraVe or Neutrogena). Not on Dr. Oz, but I apply sunscreen (at least an SPF 40 or 50) about 20 minutes before going to work or outside.

I've considered using a richer moisturizer at night but my skin still breaks out if I apply that much oil. Got a Chanel sample the other day when buying nail polish at department store. Will probably like the feel of it but get blemishes later. Also got a sample of Sarah McNamara Skin Transformer Hydroactive Cleanser. Used it last night and it is very moisturizing - it might be nice to use it 2-3 times a week in my dry climate, especially in the winter. But I don't know if it is worth it to buy these expensive brands.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
It's VERY minimal compared to all the things and steps I hear some people go through every day...not me...

Face:
-- Daily just rinse face with water, no soap. Every few months wash face with Neutrogena bar soap.
-- Twice a year use a mixture of all kinds of facial scrubs I've bought over the years. (I just use a tad of about six all mixed in my hand together. Some from health stores, some mainstream, some from spas I've been to.)
-- Twice a year witch hazel on a cotton ball (to freshen me up)
No make up except may lipstick about 3-4 times a year.
EVery once in a while I MIGHT get back on a routine of using lemon juice for dark spots.

Body: Exfoliation scrub every shower (Lush scrubs and others from health stores, spas or mainstream). Also any one of a number of scented soaps I like.
Hair: Aussie Moist, Kera Care, and Lush. Scalp massage.
Nails: Professional manicure and pedicure twice a year

Teeth: Toothpaste AND baking soda, plus a salt rinse (and flossing and minipick)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty