Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times

Advertisements

Aw, shucks, you're going to make me blush

I'm just very passionate about properly supported boobies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I just got measured at Lane Bryant, and the woman measured me over my bra band, over my shirt, and had a few fingers stuck in the tape. She measured me 6 inches bigger than I am.

And the bra was still too tight. I really think measuring is a joke.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,027 times
A good bra makes all the difference. I am a 30DD or a 32D. A 30DD is the best but of course many places do not sell size 30 band bras. Wearing the right bra size gave my back wonderful relief. I was sized at Macy's and then checked myself. They got it right.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
A good bra makes all the difference. I am a 30DD or a 32D. A 30DD is the best but of course many places do not sell size 30 band bras. Wearing the right bra size gave my back wonderful relief. I was sized at Macy's and then checked myself. They got it right.
I think Macy's is hit or miss but they have a decent selection of sizes. I am a bit of an outlier size.

Definitely go armed with your own at home measurements and a guesstimated size and make sure you come pretty close to that.

When I went to Macy's asking for my size, the sales lady said basically there is no way your cup is that big thats huge. And no way is your band is that small. For reference I wear a size 14 and I am a 34H.

Anyway as she brought me a couple of bras around my size (they don't have many h cup bras there) she commented "oh you are narrow on top you are in the right size". After that hiccup the service was good. But I needed an hh in the bras they carried and they didn't have that size.

So here is a note. You can be plus sized and have a narrower back. So be diligent. At my heaviest I was in 36 and 38 bands. Now I am in 32 and 34. There isn't a direct relationship between clothing size and back width so be very wary if someone tries to use your dress size to figure out your bra size.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I know I'm in the wrong size! I can tell by looking at the cups. I'm reading this forum again before I go bra shopping. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:55 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I just got measured at Lane Bryant, and the woman measured me over my bra band, over my shirt, and had a few fingers stuck in the tape. She measured me 6 inches bigger than I am.

And the bra was still too tight. I really think measuring is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Definitely go armed with your own at home measurements and a guesstimated size and make sure you come pretty close to that.

When I went to Macy's asking for my size, the sales lady said basically there is no way your cup is that big thats huge. And no way is your band is that small.
Measuring isn't so much a joke as it is a guide, you still have to try them on and its hit or miss depending on the brand and style. They (LB/Cacique) and the local Haynes/JMS outlet did the same thing to my wife the last time she was there, that is measuring her over her clothes and that's just flat out wrong and is a joke, and basically hit her with the Victoria's Secret size method. The larger plus sized ladies there just would not believe her when she told them she needed any where from an GG/H to a J/K depending on whether or not they used US or UK sizing. So out they come with 42 or 44 DD/DDDs when she's more like a 36 or 38 band, and we head for the door.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Measuring isn't so much a joke as it is a guide, you still have to try them on and its hit or miss depending on the brand and style. They (LB/Cacique) and the local Haynes/JMS outlet did the same thing to my wife the last time she was there, that is measuring her over her clothes and that's just flat out wrong and is a joke, and basically hit her with the Victoria's Secret size method. The larger plus sized ladies there just would not believe her when she told them she needed any where from an GG/H to a J/K depending on whether or not they used US or UK sizing. So out they come with 42 or 44 DD/DDDs when she's more like a 36 or 38 band, and we head for the door.
Actually, Lane Bryant for years used the actual measurement as the band size and not the old fashioned plus 4 or 5 inches measurement. I was confident enough to buy my bras via catalog because I knew the size.... and the last time -- they changed. My 42's measured 38 inches...

So I went in and asked about it and was told -- no they hadn't changed -- the actual size was the actual size.... but I grabbed the +4's and they fit just like they should have -- sorta.... I didn't try them all on, and the quality has definitely gone down -- they were all a little off and all marked 46DDD. Six months later and I had to get a specialty bra and she measured me badly... and I'm guessing if that's how they measure women, I can see why they don't think they've changed.

Anyhow, as I continue to lose weight I will eventually not have to go to LB anymore... and I won't miss it. The place has really gotten crappy.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually, Lane Bryant for years used the actual measurement as the band size and not the old fashioned plus 4 or 5 inches measurement. I was confident enough to buy my bras via catalog because I knew the size.... and the last time -- they changed. My 42's measured 38 inches...

So I went in and asked about it and was told -- no they hadn't changed -- the actual size was the actual size.... but I grabbed the +4's and they fit just like they should have -- sorta.... I didn't try them all on, and the quality has definitely gone down -- they were all a little off and all marked 46DDD. Six months later and I had to get a specialty bra and she measured me badly... and I'm guessing if that's how they measure women, I can see why they don't think they've changed.

Anyhow, as I continue to lose weight I will eventually not have to go to LB anymore... and I won't miss it. The place has really gotten crappy.
You should try Elomi bras. They go from about 34-44 bands and run just about true to size.

Available at all of the local Nordstrom's (and Nordstrom Rack). And also, Fantasie fits well too. You probably need to go down 1-2 inches in the band because they are stretchy. I think they go from 32-40ish.
Elomi Lingerie
Fantasie Lingerie

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM

517 posts, read 999,178 times
probably not since ihave to wear a bra for one boob that is a C32 and B32 for the other soyea... I'm 35 around 28-29 rib cage size...

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
probably not since ihave to wear a bra for one boob that is a C32 and B32 for the other soyea... I'm 35 around 28-29 rib cage size...
Then you should really be in a 28 or 30 band, not a 32. And you're supposed to fit for your larger breast (interesting tidbit, most women's left breast is larger than their right) and if there is significant gapping with the smaller breast, get yourself an insert to even things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty