Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

I actually like what one of the Russian girls did with her hair.

She wore it slicked back with some glittery stuff smoothed into it.

Spoiler

Looked very polished and glam.

But anyhow... Check out my link below. There's images of some of the athletes and their hair and nail style choices.

Some really went overboard, and I think, if you've got time for it, go for it. However, others shouldn't be criticized for not styling themselves after Christmas trees.

Olympic Athletes Nail Art Hair (PHOTOS) | Styleite

It also makes me think that maybe the way some of the female athletes styled themselves is a reflection of their own personal style, and doesn't have anything to do with "representing" the women of your nation. You're really there first of all to compete for yourself in conjunction with representing your nation. I remember the names of the athletes before I can name what nation they're coming from.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't read newspapers. They are outdated by the time they come out, and really a dead medium, so I get all my news online. And when I read news, I'm looking at important things, not hair controversies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not in this thread; start your own if you want to talk about specific gymnasts. No one here is doing that, or even talking about a specific nation's gymnasts.

The sloppy pony-bun knows no national boundaries.

Your words, not anyone else's.

I am reading no denigration of the girls' talent or accomplishments; not in this thread. Try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ah, so "would people be making such a big deal about Gabby's hair" was referring to other people, not anybody here? And the "gorilla in the room" is not this thread but again referring to other people in general? I misunderstood, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
It seems like the one poster has read a lot of hair controversey elsewhere, and is now blaming a few posters in the thread for what all those other people have said. Please, hold us accountable for our own words and opinions, not those of other people "out there."
Quote:
Also, I congratulate the girls on their performance on the first page, and I think the others on Team Ponytail did as well. Who's denigrating accomplishments? I watched the competition, I noticed the sloppy hair, I posted on City-Data. It's no different from going to a high school graduation or prom and noticing a few girls with messy hair while everyone else looks dressed up.

Several people have said that they don't care or didn't notice, and a few gave some good perspective that times may be changing and why. I appreciate the input. It will be interesting to see, as time goes on, how appearances change in gymnastics and ice skating. Maybe costumes will change radically. Maybe they'll stop with the "presentation" to the judges at the end (the "ta da!" move that they do--you don't see this in other judged sports, like diving).
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Gotta say, the Gabby Douglas ordeal has pretty much spread nationwide at this point...

That's really the only person I've heard about who's been put on blast concerning Olympian hair (elsewhere).

This. Play innocent all you like ladies, but some of us are capable of reading between the lines. Possibly because we still read newspapers.

And slam these gymnasts all you like for their hair, but always bear in mind that they've accomplished more at their age than you and your children probably will in a lifetime. Let that sink in.

I'm out.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:34 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
I agree with OhioGirl81 on everything.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
Team USA all the way! The young women are not Marines but Gymnast, give the ladies their credit and project positivity.

Makes you wonder if people are ever satisfied; if they win Gold, look at their hair! If they did not qualify for medals many would cry of something else!

Olympics are the world's platform and we have shown the world just have unified we Americans truly ARE(not) after the ladies brought home the GOLD.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. Play innocent all you like ladies, but some of us are capable of reading between the lines. Possibly because we still read newspapers
Were there a lot of stories between the night of the performance and the next morning, when I posted?

"Play innocent" ... "reading between the lines" ... if you want to make stuff up, I can't stop you, but I think it's apparent who's got the race issues here.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Yes, it's clear you have to read all the drivel in the mainstream media in order to read between the lines and apparently read our minds and discern that we REALLY think.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
This isn't about hair, it's about women being catty, petty and down right ugly. (not the person but their views)
They/ we are discussing beauty in a sport that beauty should not be playing a role in.

I think, that all make up and adornments should be band from competition.

Whats next, judging hockey players by the number of teeth they have?

Quote:
Can you take your race issues to Politics & Other Controversies, please? Or maybe Psychology? We're talking about hair in the Fashion & Beauty forum.

Although I suppose I should have opened it in the Hair forum, but I think of that forum more for hair care. Shampoo and stuff.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Oh. My. God.
For the hundredth time. This is NOt about beauty. It's about neatness. We never, ever complained about a gymnast's beauty or lack thereof (except there was that one person who said one of the girls looked like a squirrel).

And gymnastics has an artistic presentation element that other sports do not have.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
This thread is all over the place.

On the issue of the ponytails in general, I am torn. I see both sides of it.

We ARE judged on presentation, and hair is a part of that. I do understand Team Ponytail's point.

And....I also think that is sad that with all of the accomplishments of these remarkable women, the way that they look is still subjected to controversy. Not necessarily in this thread, but in general.

I must say that I judged Misty May-Traynor and Kerri Walsh more harshly for wearing butt riding bikinis in cold weather when they clearly had more modest options. And don't they have tape or glue to keep the darn things in place? I digress...

As for Gabby specifically, her hair has been all over the news (do ya'll keep up with current events? I heard of this without even trying), so I am surprised that some of you didn't know.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
HO,MY GOD, NOTHING.

I gotta get out of this thread
Call it "neatness" whatever it takes to sleep at night.

So, it's an artistic expression of an athletic ability.
So, if it is, than the paint or "neatness" should not mater.
They should be able to be disheveled in appearance and yet if they perform the same moves they be judged the same as Nancey neat is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty