Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,683 times

Advertisements

Messy hair of no we took group GOLD and the flying squirrel took ind gold. I thought they were adorable and had awesome team spirit. Athletes aren't so worried about their hair

Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm with Julia. I am very proud of the girls and how they performed and represented our country. But I do think that neatness should be an important part of their presentation. The hair did look sloppy, with the hair partly in a band and some hanging out. There seems to be a LOT of attention given to the makeup and costumes, so apparently they do agree that appearance does matter. So why the sloppy hair? I realize it a trend in in the mall and school, etc, but performing in front of the whole world? My mom never would have allowed me to look like that!
Again. It didn't take away from their performance, but I did worry a little that people around the world were thinking "look at the lazy/arrogant Americans--can't even fix their hair because they are so sure they'll walk away with this."

Gymnastics is so much about perfection and precision, and the hair was so against all that.
Agreed on all points. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is a very stupid post from obviously a non atheletic person! These young women spent years off of their lives in training for these events. Overall I'm pretty sure the majority of people would rather their hair be in complete disarray and win gold for their respective countries rather than have perfect hair and finish last and not be noticed at all.
What is a non-athlete, and what does that have to do with anything? I guess if I played softball or darts I wouldn't notice gymnasts' hair. I notice because I know better.

I agree that we'd rather have a slob winning gold than a neatnik winning nothing. Good thing there are other options, including winning gold AND spending a few extra minutes getting ready. It is possible, believe it or not.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is a very stupid post from obviously a non atheletic person!
And you know the OP isn't an athlete ... how?

Quote:
These young women spent years off of their lives in training for these events.
And they spend a bit of time in front of the mirror, too, before their competition, because they wear a ton of makeup and put glitter in their hair. Securing their hair to make nicer lines during their performances would have taken another 10 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What is with the obsession over how women athletes look?
If a male gymnast had his hair flopping all over the place, I'd notice, too, how the hair ruined the total performance.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 08-03-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I don't give a heck about the hair or makeup. That is not what it's about. It's about winning. Some male soccer players look darned strange to me, but it's just not about that and I am able to rise about making petty comments about their appearance. They just look like perfectly acceptable women and girls to me. This is just trivial.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
So hair was not perfection... so what?
No one is perfect!
Some women still are so critical of other women... I wish those days would end.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:54 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So hair was not perfection... so what?
No one is perfect!
Some women still are so critical of other women... I wish those days would end.
Thank you!

We as women can be so darn catty sometimes that I just can't stand it (and to be real I am also sometimes guilty of it as well)

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, if the choice were:
  • messy hair and win gold or
  • neat hair and lose
then of course I (and I'm sure Julia) would choose the first option. But there need not be an either/or choice.

It was a little incongruent, since so much attention was clearly given to all other aspects of their appearance.
Wouldn't that suggest the hairstyles weren't the result of being sloppy or lazy, rather a decision made to go with trendy? And it is trendy with a certain age group.
My daughter does her hair like this and will actually redo it several times until she gets the rather boho effect she wants.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Who's being catty? I'm noticing the disconnect between the meticulously applied makeup, the glitter in the hair, the kazillion costume changes ... and the sloppy hairstyles.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Agree. There is nothing catty about some of noticing the incongruency of the sloppy hair and noting it. We've all said that despite that, we respect and are proud of our team. But this was just something that stuck out--literally and figuratively--and I think that's why the OP posted about it, to see if others noticed it too. No one was obsessed. No one was catty. None is saying hair is more important than victory.

And all the comparisons to soccer and other sports are pointless. Some sports, like gymnastics and figure skating, are both a sport and an art. There is an artistic/presentation piece to these events that other sports don't necessarily have. I would expect a female or male soccer player to get very messy hair. I would expect both male and female volleyball players to have messy hair. Same with lots of other sports. But in an event where appearance and presentation are part of the performance, messy hair stands out as not quite fitting in.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:22 PM

538 posts, read 732,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What is with the obsession over how women athletes look? There freaking athletes not little "Barbie Goes To Gym©" dolls. No one seems to be obsessed with how the men's hair looks, what's up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty