Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,615,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
This phenomenon has many very plain looking, and even ugly men and women thinking they are attractive. Most are just average. I don't get the excitement about blond hair and blue eyes.
It's rooted in colonial racism. In those days, the white plantation owner's daughter was the standard of beauty. The black women were socially stigmatized pejoratively for their African features. The racism was harsh. Lighter-skinned mulattoes, children of slaves raped by their "masters", were often given preferential treatment (house slaves). Thomas Jefferson had a child with Sally Hemming, a light-skinned 1/4 African slave. This went on for hundreds of years.

So this led to a pattern of colorism in the African American community. The early days of black sororities and fraternities actually had the "paper bag" test were those darker than the brown paper bag were not allowed entry. So colorism grew within the African American community. The same pattern occurred south of the border in Colonial Spain. A Spanish or Portuguese "casta" evolved with a caste system based on skin-color and degree of European ancestry.

In the middle of all this, the white Eurocentric standard of beauty evolved with blonde hair and blue eyes. It has persisted in the media and other areas. The "blonde white woman" is usually preferred in news casting, Hollywood films, cheerleading, commercials, magazine ads, homecoming queens, beauty pageants, etc.

The perpetual promotion of white beauty standards has led to a new pattern of colorism where some (not all) African American women try to look "white" like Beyonce. And many successful black men prefer blonde white women: Tiger Woods, Russell Simmons, RGIII, etc.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/2/11535904...skin-bleaching

The standard of blonde hair and blue eyes for Eurocentric beauty continues to persist. But the reality is that such women have human limits like anyone else. Christie Brinkley has been divorced multiple times. The elite blonde model and beauty star of the 1960s, Brigitte Bardot, has aged to an elderly state since her prime years. Farrah Fawcett, the popular blonde actress of the 1970s who graced many magazine covers and films, died of an aggressive form of cancer.
Brigitte Bardot | 9 celebrities who haven't aged well | MNN - Mother Nature Network

To be fair, blonde white women can still deal with gender discrimination in fields like engineering. So it's not entirely a level playing field for them either. It's a complicated world.
Engineering Student: 'Yes, I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,405,953 times
I am blonde, with green/grey/blue eye with yellow in the center. Attractive. In shape (body has more to do with it that you think) and I get asked out all the time. I see plenty of people with different ethnic traits who are stunning. Drop dead gorgeous so it depends on personal preference these days.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM

491 posts, read 468,460 times
Me, personally, I think blonde girls are attractive, but I prefer brunettes. Every guy is different. That being said, I find women of all types to be attractive.

Not only that, but I would say the opposite. Blondes are actually not held in high esteem. Most people see blonde girls as dumb and blond men as goofy. It's a horrible stereotype and yet nobody talks about it. Look at how they treat Donald Trump? Also, notice how there's rarely any blond Presidents, or blond leaders.

Plus, the fact that most "blondes" aren't even blondes anyway. Most girls dye their hair blonde. The blonde race is gone. All because the brunettes mixed with them and now you have everyone mixed up.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,627,488 times
For white people at least, I think it's because blond/blue-haired are all light colors, and anything in light color looks better. Just like people in photos look better under bright lights than dim, rooms look better in bright light.

Dark hair and dark eyes, even on a white person and especially a woman, can look harsh and hard, even if the person is very attractive.

Though on men, dark hair to me looks better than blond hair.

I personally don't like light blue eyes because I hate being able to see the person's pupils, though I knew a woman with ocean blue eyes and it was the most beautiful eye color I've ever seen.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

491 posts, read 468,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
For white people at least, I think it's because blond/blue-haired are all light colors, and anything in light color looks better. Just like people in photos look better under bright lights than dim, rooms look better in bright light.

Dark hair and dark eyes, even on a white person and especially a woman, can look harsh and hard, even if the person is very attractive.

Though on men, dark hair to me looks better than blond hair.

I personally don't like light blue eyes because I hate being able to see the person's pupils, though I knew a woman with ocean blue eyes and it was the most beautiful eye color I've ever seen.
I'm the exact opposite. Dark brown eyes look way better on a blonde or redhead or brunette, in my opinion. It just gives it more definition. I still find light hair and colored eyes attractive, but I just like it a little better when it's dark. Definitely not something I worry about or care about when I'm around someone or am dating, though.

Some guys are just into blondes and others brunettes.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,683,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
It's rooted in colonial racism. In those days, the white plantation owner's daughter was the standard of beauty. The black women were socially stigmatized pejoratively for their African features. The racism was harsh. Lighter-skinned mulattoes, children of slaves raped by their "masters", were often given preferential treatment (house slaves). Thomas Jefferson had a child with Sally Hemming, a light-skinned 1/4 African slave. This went on for hundreds of years.

So this led to a pattern of colorism in the African American community. The early days of black sororities and fraternities actually had the "paper bag" test were those darker than the brown paper bag were not allowed entry. So colorism grew within the African American community. The same pattern occurred south of the border in Colonial Spain. A Spanish or Portuguese "casta" evolved with a caste system based on skin-color and degree of European ancestry.[/url]
Even if rooted in colonial racism, it's a shame they had to impose these color preference standards on themselves. They shouldn't have perpetuated it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is all a matter of personal preference.

I know it's still difficult to get modeling work if you don't have blue eyes.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,440,570 times
Well, red haired people are fascinating IMHO. I love to see little red-haired children. As for eye color, I''m lucky. My eyes are green (they also change color to grey and blue, depending a lot on if I am ill. Weird. ) Green is the rarest eye color so I like that. They are always noticed.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
It's rooted in colonial racism. In those days, the white plantation owner's daughter was the standard of beauty.
Not entirely. There are numerous countries in the world that have never had slaves, don't know what a plantation is but when a baby is born they loudly cheer, look how white he/she is. Have you looked at the baby models on cans of formula? It's just the way it is folks. No need to make it complicated. On India's match boards, describing yourself as "fair-skinned" will put you ahead of the game.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM

343 posts, read 313,705 times
Does anyone think raven-haired people (black hair) are attractive?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 PM

540 posts, read 359,757 times
Not my standard of beautiful.... I'll take a green/brown eyed brunette any day

And a few extra pounds is preferred
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty