Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

Great idea!!! Love dancing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am not minding the aging (that much)

What is driving me crazy is I finally got a regime down for my hair, skin etc and it is all changing. My hair is completely different now, so figuring out what to do with it is nuts!

My skin now is like a teenager! I didn't have this much acne as I did when I was younger!

And my metabolism just is shot. It is awful. I exercise like crazy, eat healthy and it just doesn't matter.

Hair: mine got curly and frizzy as I got older. Solution? Brazilian Blowout

Skin: started getting age spots and cystic acne. Solution? Suncreen/Triluma/Retin A/Vit. C/glycolic acid. I don't get the cystic acne very often, but when I do straight to the dermatologist for a shot to make it go aways.

Metabolism: I went from being able to eat anything I want and being under weight, to a super sluggish metabolism. Solution? I'm logging in everything I eat to ensure my calories stay low.

I'm off to go suck on a stalk of celery.....

Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Hair is so funny! Mine was stick straight for years except that I had two little curls in the back at the base of the hairline. Im my thirties a lot of wave developed in the back (from what, I don't know -- it seems like this happened after I had the flu) but the front was still straight. Here I am 56 and the wave is becoming curly. I love it!

I was under a lot of stress last year and had some breakage/ loss. To cover this up my friend suggested a permanent to even the wavy/ curly places and make the breakage less obvious while the new hair is growing in (which it is!). It had been several months since the permanent and I thought "boy, this is a good one." I hadn't had a permanent in years and was wondering how long they lasted. My hairdresser, who is also a friend, said that the curls and waves are getting more prominent.

I love my curls! They cover up a lot of sins and it isn't so obvious when you're a week or two later on hair color. Plus, it's so easy -- especially here in the humid south. I just wash it and use Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt or another Paul Mitchell product in a tube (forget the name and I'm out). So easy and I buy these at Target.

My metabolism died when I was 48 but it is finally revved up again (at 56). I gained a lot of weight and then lost it -- 60 pounds from my heaviest! I walk and am a horticulture volunteer at my city's aquarium. I also like doing yardwork and walk up and down steps a good bit.

I am adding back some foods I didn't eat for a while because I don't want to lose any more weight but I am watching portion size.

I've been lucky on the skin (thanks to my mother -- great genes!) but I have a lot of friends who have had acne and never had it before.

I'm happy and out from under a lot of stress. I look better at 56 than I did at 50. As a relative said once, "keep on keeping on!".

Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
I started a thread on this awhile back, but things seem to be ever changing.
  1. Sking changing (I feel more like a teenager)
  2. Hair is completely different
  3. Body is changing in SO many ways
HELP! What are some beauty secrets that helped you adjust???
Skin: Murad and Olay both make some pretty rockin products
Hair: There are age defying hair products for fading color and thinning
Body: Get thee to the Spanx display at Nordstrom, woman!

Magazines like MORE and NEW BEAUTY will help you make sense of it all, depending on your wallet, your time and your pain threshold---and, those who drink of a "vintage wine" will be forever intoxicated by it, as it gets better and better with time.

CHEERS!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Regular exercise is the one I abide by the most. That, and not eating much fat/sugar.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM

36 posts, read 53,943 times
Quote:
I started a thread on this awhile back, but things seem to be ever changing.
  1. Sking changing (I feel more like a teenager)
  2. Hair is completely different
  3. Body is changing in SO many ways

HELP! What are some beauty secrets that helped you adjust???
I check pictures of 80 year olds I know when I get there I will wish to look 65 or younger I figure by the time I turn 80 I won't have much time left to be miserable.

That 20 old year I was once, It's no longer me, neither are the people or events that surrounded her back then. Yes that 20 year old was very pretty but she is not me, I'm now much prettier than that 80 year old woman I'll become but less pretty than that 20 year old sitting in a photo album. She is just that, a dead person in a photo album

I guess I use cognitive therapy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty