Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times

Advertisements

I'm Black American and naturally a size 2. I however notice that people tend to laud thin Asian and White women, but seem to take offense when Black women are thin as well. It's almost like, they expect every black woman to have thick thighs, a big behind and huge breasts. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this general attitude towards Black women? Why is it that thin black women are shunned, while thin Asian and White women are viewed as prizes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 02:01 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm Black American and naturally a size 2. I however notice that people tend to laud thin Asian and White women, but seem to take offense when Black women are thin as well.
I have never seen a person offended by a thin black woman.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM

517 posts, read 999,071 times
it's your culture I think. Also I'm not asian or white and very thin I get ridicule in being too skinny from every race. To me I see it as there's bordeline thin and there's middle thin and then there's healthy but skinny all the same. In america if you're healthy but skinny eveyone acts like you did something wrong when it can just be clear genetics. Its partially because americans are getting bigger and partially because your culture doesn't seem to celebrate skinny girls to begin with. That's my opinion from experience...

Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I have never seen a person offended by a thin black woman.
Me either. My sister is thin, and she is a woman of color. It looks great on her. She is a size 4, and is all legs.

I don't know what you are talking about OP, unless you are referring to black men or to other black women hating on you? I think you'll have to elaborate on what you mean, and who specifically lauds thin black women.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Me either. My sister is thin, and she is a woman of color. It looks great on her. She is a size 4, and is all legs.

I don't know what you are talking about OP, unless you are referring to black men or to other black women hating on you? I think you'll have to elaborate on what you mean, and who specifically lauds thin black women.
I've experienced a lot of strange looks and comments from people. I am by no means anorexic. I just have a very fast metabolism, and I've always been very thin (I currently wear a size 2).

I think Black Americans tend to laud 'thick' women with round behinds, big breasts, etc. And I've noticed that other races also tend to associate black women with large behinds, big thighs and large breasts. When a black woman doesn't have those features, she's looked at differently. I just wish that skinny/thin black women were lauded in the same way as skinny Asian and white women.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
it's your culture I think. Also I'm not asian or white and very thin I get ridicule in being too skinny from every race. To me I see it as there's bordeline thin and there's middle thin and then there's healthy but skinny all the same. In america if you're healthy but skinny eveyone acts like you did something wrong when it can just be clear genetics. Its partially because americans are getting bigger and partially because your culture doesn't seem to celebrate skinny girls to begin with. That's my opinion from experience...
My culture is American.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I think maybe it's the black people you are around that make you feel like you "can't" be thin.

Sometimes it just takes a comment from a family member to make it feel like the whole world feels that way.

I'm Latin and growing up mom always called me "flaca" or some other form of that word. She would address me as "skinny".

"SKINNY!! Come help me with dinner" I was never even skinny...just a size 2 as well.

It's just a cultural thing.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I think maybe it's the black people you are around that make you feel like you "can't" be thin.

Sometimes it just takes a comment from a family member to make it feel like the whole world feels that way.

I'm Latin and growing up mom always called me "flaca" or some other form of that word. She would address me as "skinny".

"SKINNY!! Come help me with dinner" I was never even skinny...just a size 2 as well.

It's just a cultural thing.
Perhaps, you're right. My mom has told me that I'm very thin. I've become a bit self conscious about it, but I would never want to be thick with a big bottom.

Anyhow, this just doesn't seem to be an issue for the Asian and white women that I know. If anything, they seem far more comfortable being thin.

Last edited by Lilly1224; 08-26-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,812 times
I'm thick with a big bottom. I wear sizes 6's and 8's. I would prefer to be a 4, but it's extremely difficult to maintain that size. I do get a lot of attention from black and latino men. I don't understand why you feel uncomfortable being thin? I have plenty of thin black friends and none of them feel uncomfortable by it. Only a few of them would actually like to be bigger.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM

706 posts, read 1,179,991 times
I am an AA woman as well and I have noticed this, but only among other African Americans...men in particular.

I used to be a lot heavier (size 14) than I am now at a size 4". I got sick and tired of being fat and out of shape, so after my last child I decided to get the weight off. What should have been a positive experience turned negative because of comments I got from friends and family. I can't tell you how many told me that I shouldn't get too thin because "black women are supposed to be bigger". I think thats the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever heard in my life. I was/am married and my hubby loves me at the size I am now, especially. However, other black men in my life told me that if I got too small my hubby would leave me because "black men like their women thick" and "only white women should be skinny".

Thank God I didn't listen to any of those idiots, otherwise I might be a size 20 by now. Unfortunately, a lot of black women buy into the hype, which is one of the reasons heart disease and diabetes is so prevalent among African American women.

Keep eating healthy/exercising to maintain your size as long as YOU are happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty