Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times

Advertisements

by the way...the coach outlet has a massive sale today! I brought home a beautiful steel colored leather bag

It was originally from regular Coach store and sold for $360. I could tell because the hardware was actually brass and it was more detailed than factory store bags. It was on the 50% off clearance wall and it was the last one. Also for Labor Day they had a 30% of everything sale going on so I ended up paying $125 for a medium sized leather purse!

I have heard Coach is a great place for leather handbags and I would say if you go during sales at an outlet store you can pick up a quality leather handbag that is stylish for a fair or even low price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 55,605 times
I buy all my **** from Old Navy. If it breaks, it breaks. You can't beat $20 yoga pants. I own 6 pairs so no fear here!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I hit Dillards' end of season sales each fall and spring, and have gotten some really nice Nygard, Antonio Melani, and Sharon Young pieces. They last very well. I got them for 65 percent off PLUS 30 TO 40 PERCENT off THAT price (one day sale - I get the email and go that morning). I just bought a $75 shirt for $15! I also got two $80 bathing suits for about $25 each.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
orvis has good clothing either in store or the catalog also llbean

Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I go through stores like Ross and TJMaxx. I've gotten a lot of Calvin Klein, Chinese Laundry (shoes), Tahiri (suits), and other name brands there.

Otherwise I shop at the outlet mall, with my favorites being GAP and Banana Republic and Nine West.

You can find things that will last at places like old navy if you pay attention to the fabric. I got several pairs of capri's there that lasted a decade and still looked pretty new.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
What do Old Navy shoppers think of their sweaters? Do they hold up??

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I have some Old Navy sweaters that I like, such as an apple green pullover with shawl collar I got a couple years ago. It's a little pilly on the upper arms but it has retained its shape, and I love the color. Old Navy carries sweaters in talls, which is great for me and my long arms. I have a few thinner cardigans, and they are hit or miss. The medium-weight, cable-knit stuff holds up better IME. I have a couple cardies in camel and winter white that still look fine. The thinner stuff tends to stretch, warp, or get little holes after a while.

For about the same price, I would look at Lands End sweaters as well. Don't get me wrong, Old Navy has some decent buys and tends to carry trendier styles and colors. Lands End has cashmere stuff for more than $100, and they have cotton-blend stuff in the $30s. That's also where I would look for a winter coat if you need one. Sign up for emails, and wait for a sale. Every now and then you'll get a coupon for 30% or 40% off, and you can score a really good down coat for $100 or so. They are made well and guaranteed forever. (All their stuff is. If your sweater starts falling apart, take it back and they will replace it. Old Navy won't.)

Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Here's a comparison:

$25 cardigan from ON:
Women's Button-Front Stretch Cardis | Old Navy

$35 cardigan from LE:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage...92808-_-411292

Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Something interesting is I was having a conversation with my friend's mom who was talking about how they used to make clothes built to last forever, that would be passed down from generation to generation. Now she can't find things like that. She brought up how a suit from Channel would probably last forever but stated that she bought most of her stuff from Gap and it only lasts a year or two..maybe 3 if she is lucky.

It's like the companies engineer clothing to fall apart so people have to keep replacing things. It's all marketing I guess
A perfect example of "planned obsolescence"!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am still trying to get my head around your using Old Navy as a standard for quality clothing. Most of that sort of store is for clothing that is cheap, and you wash it a few times and it has shrunken and gotten out of shape, so you get rid of it.
From my own experience of fairly cheap clothing that lasts a few seasons, wash after wash, is Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, and a few others. Most cheap fashion is only intended to last a season.
I agree with you regarding Old Navy...their fabrics feel cheap, and their clothing doesn't appear to be very well-made.

Personally, I've had very good luck with companies like Lands End, LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. I wouldn't describe their prices as "inexpensive", but if you figure the cost divided by the number of years they last, over the long run, they turn out to be a good deal. I have some turtlenecks and short sleeve interlock polos from Lands End that were purchased eons ago, and they're still in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty