Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM

41 posts, read 106,857 times

Advertisements

Received a gift certificate at a spa & decided to get a manicure & a pedicure. I have never had this done before. I am not really in to it & am a bit of a tomboy. Receptionist asked if I wanted a classic or a shellac & I said I didn't know as I'm a first timer. So help me out. What to get? What to expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
i am a relative newbie as well. if it were me i'd just get a classic one, it lasts long enough, IMO. the shellac stuff is supposed to be tougher, chip free, etc.

when you get there you pick what color(s) you want. depending on the place, sometimes they will try to upsell things to you during the service, like massage add-ons, etc. it's a good idea to look at the menu just to know what's available and how much it is so there are no surprises.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
I love them.

Shellac is the new type of nail. I like the look.

You don't have to get fake nails in a manicure though. You can have your natural ones properly done and they look amazing.

A pedi - they stick you in a massage chair and your feet in a spa, scrub it all up, clip and file your nails, paint a pretty colour.

You will be hooked, I guarantee. You simply cannot replicate a professional manicure at home.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
I used to paint my own toes for YEARS and shunned pedis. Then I took my daughter (who is also a tomboy but loves pedis!) after she had one with a friend and told me how much she liked them. Now I am totally hooked, there's nothing like it, it looks WAY better than anything you could do yourself. And I've learned most every woman out there wants a pretty-painted toe, even if no other makeup or fancy clothes are worn.

I agree with MsAnnThrope, you will become HOOKED!

I would do shellac and also the parafin wax treatment. It's just such a nice pampered feeling.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Mani- waste of money

Pedis- so relaxing a worth it. The soak your feet, scrub them, and usually massage them. They try to remove dead skin as well.

Shellac is a pain in the butt to remove and has to be done in the salon. I prefer natural. A natural pedi will last a month while the mani will probably last a week.

Just pic a color when you are there...or French manicures are really cute too.

Don't forget to tip.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:38 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Just to add - removal does not have to be done in a salon.

It's probaby easier to get done, but if you get a bottle of acetone you can do it yourself.

Be warned...no matter what sort of false nails you get, your own nail will be ruined in the process.

I only get fake nails about once a year for this reason.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Get the one where the little fishes eat the dead skin off your feet.....does the coupon cover that one?????

Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
If I was rich I'd get them every week! Sadly I only can go for a treat now. I LOVE the Shellac. It will seriously last forever. It's more expensive, but it sucks to shell out money for a mani and a few days later all the polish is chipping off. If you soak your nails in acetone you'll be able to scrape the polish off by yourself, or eventually it'll just grow off. I have Shellac on now, it's amazing!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,395,921 times
Congrats! Hopefully now you're a regular at the local nail salon.

A cute mani/pedi is a must IMO.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:16 AM

255 posts, read 407,297 times
You should probably start out with the classic first. Shellac is a little harder to remove. I love getting mani/pedi's but with my job, manicures are a waste of money. They just chip the next day. So I just paint my nails at home. When I am on vacation though, I treat myself. I did that for my birthday too last year. I booked myself a spa day and had everything done, massage, facial, mani/pedi, a wrap and a soak in a whirlpool. I plan to do it every year. My nails chip the next day, but I find it worth it when it's a whole spa day. And this year I have a week off for my birthday so I can leave. We work six days a week and shift work, so it's worth it once and a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty