Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Most women as they approach menopause start noticing chin whiskers. I was wondering if there are any mature women here who don't have this problem?

My mother would drive me crazy when she ignored them to the point they got curly. I would come at her with tweezers and tried to get her to take care of them herself but she never did.

At what age did you notice chin whiskers? Do you pluck or shave?
I have a little swiss army knife on my key chain which has little tweezers. I depend on them so much cause it seems I mostly notice them while in the car. Guess I fiddle with my face while stuck in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Most women as they approach menopause start noticing chin whiskers. I was wondering if there are any mature women here who don't have this problem?

My mother would drive me crazy when she ignored them to the point they got curly. I would come at her with tweezers and tried to get her to take care of them herself but she never did.

At what age did you notice chin whiskers? Do you pluck or shave?
I have a little swiss army knife on my key chain which has little tweezers. I depend on them so much cause it seems I mostly notice them while in the car. Guess I fiddle with my face while stuck in traffic.
It's the bright sunlight -- makes them MUCH easier to see. I do the same thing.

I did some threading before I went home on vacation -- NEVER AGAIN. My hair is very fine and pale. I pluck the crazy ones (and I have one that's not there and not there and not there and then its grows an inch overnight... what IS that?) and the few dark ones that show up in my "moustache", but I noticed something interesting. Sans hair, I could see more of the crepey lines over my mouth. It made me look older.

With the hair, which you can't see unless you're right on top of me -- there's like a fine diffusion of the lines (also of which there aren't many), so I look younger. I'm wondering if it's like what they say minerals do -- diffuse the light and reflect it back.

So anyway -- I'm keeping the fuzz.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 PM

191 posts, read 560,082 times
Threading and waxing works well. Also have my brows and upper lip done also.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I have a set of tweezers in my car because the harsh light of day is so much better than my dim bathroom for catching the "OMG what is that?" goat hairs that crop up.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Statred around 50 with me....I pluck or wax....and yes...bright light is a major MUST to find those pesky hairs! At least we women don't get hair growing out of our ears!!!!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
If you can afford it, get the laser treatment to permanently remove them. It's expensive because it's not a one shot treatment. There are some products that claim to work almost as good as laser but I've never tried it. Besides the smell, would hair removal creams like Nair work on the face? I'm a guy so I only shave with a razor. I have to shave daily and in a certain way. Get scaley sores if I grow out my beard/moustach. Get horrible ingrown and infected hair if I shave against the growth to get baby smooth. Wife didn't believe me so I proved it to her. She now accepts my scruffy, but clean shaven, face.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
You say, "most women," however, I don't know of anyone that has this problem. I think it must be a genetic problem and would show up more in certain groups.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You say, "most women," however, I don't know of anyone that has this problem. I think it must be a genetic problem and would show up more in certain groups.
Meh. Plenty of women of all ages have an errant hair here and there. It's not usually dinner conversation.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You know, you're right. It is a genetic problem, and the group it shows up most in is the group with the second X chromosome.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I am 70 now and last year I used Olay's treatment on a fine moustache. It hasn't come back. I now live near Dallas in some VERY bright sunlight and I would have noticed it. Both my mother and grandmother had something similar - very fine, light, and hard to see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty