Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

My dad's genes are really strong so I got a ton from that side and few from my mom:
mom: facial features, hips, thick thighs
dad: average height, busty-ness, sturdy build, flat butt

I missed out on my mom's thin genes and I did miss out on the straight-hipped tendencies of the women on my dad's side. I could use more of my mom's genes though.

Women on either side tend to age well and live long so at least I have that going for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
My mother is a workout fanatic as well. But she is also genetically thin. Working out just helps her lean out.

Yeah I do get a lot of attention from BM, out all of us(my sisters and me) I get the most attention. But I grew up in a mostly white area, so I think that is probably why I really wanted to be thin(since most of the girls I went to school with were thin).

How did your wife lose weight after having kids? Did she breast feed, or just change her eating habit?
That makes sense being that the most of the people you were around were thin. I imagine had you been in a majority black area your sisters would would have been the ones who wanted to look different and be thicker.

As for my wife... Honestly I have no idea. She did not breast feed and didn't change her eating habits much... I'm sure she did a little bit but she always ate healthy and even makes me eat healthy. and she always worked out... Was a personal trainer the first few years out of college and even competed in fitness competitions... BUT she was thicker in those days. once the kids started coming she got skinny. she has gotten skinnier after each one. And we have 3... Lol. I think she looked healthier and more fit when she was thicker... She is a good 30-40 lbs lighter now. Her mother and sisters are MUCH thicker than her. Borderline fat... which I'm sure she is afraid of becoming so that's probably why she has always been into fitness so much. And she grew up in Hawaii where being skinny is looked at as the holy grail since a lot of the Polynesian woman are naturally thick anyway. So she was kinda in the same boat with you having skinny peers which would affect the psyche of course.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My dad's genes are really strong so I got a ton from that side and few from my mom:
mom: facial features, hips, thick thighs
dad: average height, busty-ness, sturdy build, flat butt

I missed out on my mom's thin genes and I did miss out on the straight-hipped tendencies of the women on my dad's side. I could use more of my mom's genes though.

Women on either side tend to age well and live long so at least I have that going for me!
When you say busty-ness from your dad's side... Are you going by the women on his side? And what do want more of from your moms side? It sounds like you got a lot of good things... Maybe except the flat butt... Lol. But outside of that... You have a good list here.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
When you say busty-ness from your dad's side... Are you going by the women on his side? And what do want more of from your moms side? It sounds like you got a lot of good things... Maybe except the flat butt... Lol. But outside of that... You have a good list here.
Yup, the women on my dad's side are well endowed. I am probably at the small in terms of bust size and I have more than enough.

I basically ended up with part of my mom's shape (basically I have her shape +boobs -butt. I could use more butt. And have an easier time with weight. My mom is pretty skinny, she went from a curvy skinny minnie in her 20s to a slim and curvy woman after kids. I did not get the skinny genes.

Oh and I missed out on the taller genes from her side. I guess things were confused. I am 2 inches shorter than my mom, but my legs are longer. I can't even sit in the car if she was driving, my legs don't fit until I move the seat!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup, the women on my dad's side are well endowed. I am probably at the small in terms of bust size and I have more than enough.

I basically ended up with part of my mom's shape (basically I have her shape +boobs -butt. I could use more butt. And have an easier time with weight. My mom is pretty skinny, she went from a curvy skinny minnie in her 20s to a slim and curvy woman after kids. I did not get the skinny genes.

Oh and I missed out on the taller genes from her side. I guess things were confused. I am 2 inches shorter than my mom, but my legs are longer. I can't even sit in the car if she was driving, my legs don't fit until I move the seat!
Ahh... I got you. That is odd. Longer legs are better regardless of height so you won there. Short legs on tall women look dwarfish.

Your mom sounds like how I thought my wife would be after kids... Growing up I just assumed that skinny women became curvy... Curvy women became thick... And thick woman became fat. But it doesn't always work out that way. I know skinny girls who went straight to fat.

Having a slimmer mother... Does she comment about you being bigger than her?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Ahh... I got you. That is odd. Longer legs are better regardless of height so you won there. Short legs on tall women look dwarfish.

Your mom sounds like how I thought my wife would be after kids... Growing up I just assumed that skinny women became curvy... Curvy women became thick... And thick woman became fat. But it doesn't always work out that way. I know skinny girls who went straight to fat.

A lot of people believe that. My brother said he would never marry a thick woman for fear that she would get fat after having kids. I'm thick and I had a kid, and I stayed thick, just a bit thicker than before(after I had my son I was a size 12, before I had him I was an 8, sometimes wore a 6). I'm back to an 8 again. I do have a thin friend who is now thick, but it doesn't look right on her because she has small bones and it doesn't look in proportion. My cousin-in-law(LOL) married a Mexican woman, who was average and after her first kid she was thick, and 2 later she is still thick... That being said I do know some thick women that became fat, and some thin women that became fat or thick after having kids. There is a myth that having kids widens your hips or makes you fat, but in all honesty after I had my son I saw no difference in my hips, and I lost the baby weight(though difficult because of breastfeeding) through diet and exercise. My mom had 4 kids, and her hips never got bigger. Matter of fact each time she had a kid, within 4 months she was right back in her size 2's and 0's.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Only sort of she got teased growing up about her skinny legs. She's "jealous" because mine are bigger. :P

For my mom thicker = better. She just likes people to look proportional and have a waist. And complains if she thinks I have too much cleavage. She took my hand me down bras when I was 12 and my chest kept on going.

There isn't any skinny vs thick drama in my immediate family.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:52 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,753 times
My mom and I don't really look alike (she's light-skinned, small almond eyes, straight yet broad nose and I'm darker-skinned, large almonds/wide-eyed, slim hook nose) though you can see some of her features in me when I'm smiling or throwing side-eyes, and I'm maybe an inch taller than her. She's always been on the thick side, the smallest she's ever been was a 4 (that was when she had me), yet she's told me that she's always been meaty thanks to having genetics and being athletic. She's not a 4 anymore, but her thickness suits her. I, on the other hand, have a seemingly different body type -- thin with sharp edges -- but really if you threw some weight on me I'm pretty sure my body would look exactly like hers.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
We have all heard the saying... If you want to see what your woman will look like when she is older just look at her mom.

Do women "really" end up looking like their Mother?
Not if they resemble their father's side.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
I think it also depends upon what you mean by "old". My grandmother had 7 daughters. They all looked different well into their 60's but, amazingly by their 70's they all really began looking alike and by their 80s, they almost look like twins. And, although my grandmother was heavy, they are all painfully thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty