Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And all I am saying is that I think that really depends what that higher paying job is and is not a good blanket statement.

Can you give some examples of jobs that would care? I work in consulting and travel to customer sites constantly. My employer has no rules re: tattoos other than I need to comply with the customers' wishes/dress code while on-site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Can you give some examples of jobs that would care? I work in consulting and travel to customer sites constantly. My employer has no rules re: tattoos other than I need to comply with the customers' wishes/dress code while on-site.
I work in corporate finance. Showing up with a visible tattoo would more times than not hurt your chances. Does that mean always? Certainly not. Depends on the company and the people doing the hiring. But on average I would say you would definitely be hurting your chances.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
I think my next tattoo will read "Thug Life" across my fingers.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I work in corporate finance. Showing up with a visible tattoo would more times than not hurt your chances. Does that mean always? Certainly not. Depends on the company and the people doing the hiring. But on average I would say you would definitely be hurting your chances.

Hurt my chances of what? Getting hired at your company?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I think my next tattoo will read "Thug Life" across my fingers.
OMG! Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Actually, my bf who does not care for tattoos told me that he would get one tattoo. He actually likes the tattoos that resemble wedding rings.

In his line of work, I would think that would be a good idea, and I have seen some really intricate ones. I would still want him to have a real ring though...

Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OMG! Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?
YES! We can go get it together and be tacky together!

But seriously, I got my tattoos knowingly. I did get a tattoo on my wrist knowing darn well YOU CAN SEE IT and this was before I entered the big girl job world. I could wear a watch, bracelets, or use make up to cover it, but lucky for me the guy botched the job and I had tattoo excision. Not really lucky because I have a faint scar but nothing too noticeable. The point is most people know tattoos can be seen and we do it anyway. You dont have to like it and if it bothers you dont look at it. If you judge the person by the tattoo then I find that extremely closed minded and unfortunate. Do I regret my tattoos? No. Will I get more? Absolutely. Will they be able to be hidden by a t-shirt? Probably.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Hurt my chances of what? Getting hired at your company?
Isn't that what we were discussing?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM

I thought we were speaking in generalities, not about your company in specific.

I know a guy out here in St Louis that works for Wells Fargo and has a full sleeve - they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
YES! We can go get it together and be tacky together!

But seriously, I got my tattoos knowingly. I did get a tattoo on my wrist knowing darn well YOU CAN SEE IT and this was before I entered the big girl job world. I could wear a watch, bracelets, or use make up to cover it, but lucky for me the guy botched the job and I had tattoo excision. Not really lucky because I have a faint scar but nothing too noticeable. The point is most people know tattoos can be seen and we do it anyway. You dont have to like it and if it bothers you dont look at it. If you judge the person by the tattoo then I find that extremely closed minded and unfortunate. Do I regret my tattoos? No. Will I get more? Absolutely. Will they be able to be hidden by a t-shirt? Probably.
I grew up seeing my uncles with tattoos. I had also seen some obscene tattoos throughout the years. I imagine I may have judged those with tattoos on the neck, lets say, for example.

This was before I had even thought of getting a tattoo. Then I thought of getting one in my 20s. My ex husband and I went into a tattoo parlor and just the sound of the tattoo gun made me feel ill. I did not find myself back in another parlor for about 8 years or so.

My first tattoo was a mistake, and I can admit that. I was in a place in my life that wasn't a great place, but was a better place than I had been in the past.

I did not research my artist and I did not put a lot of thought into the tattoo. I also broke the rules and I got a name. I had to wear that mistake for 4 years.

I fell in love with a wonderful man and he did not care about the tattoo one way or the other. I cared. I thought it was very unfair for him to have me on his arm as we walk through our lives together and I had another mans name on my arm.

The day I got it covered I was overjoyed. He didn't even care that it was there. He just loved me for me. That, in itself, is a wonderful thing.

These days, I have a good artist, and I have things drawn. If I don't like it, it is changed. Those days...not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty