Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Not one darn thing is "wrong" with having tattoos. The OP just want's to understand why people get them when the general society disapproves of them. What kind of mind set cause perfectly normal people to turn themselves into an artist canvas?
What kind of mindset? I don't think there is a 'kind' of mindset that causes people to want tattoos. One's experiences may draw them to different things that others may or may not approve of. I love well done tattoos and think they enhance a persons look if done correctly, while others may find it disgusting and detracts from a persons looks.

Just like how I find plastic surgery, excessive makeup and wearing revealing clothing isn't attractive and detracts from ones appearance but there are plenty of people who find that attractive.

Different strokes for different folks I don't really care if society disapproves of me, you can't please everyone so you may as well do things that make you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I have a very large tattoo that covers about 2/3 of my back. The back is a great canvas.

It's mostly not visible unless I'm wearing something that's cut low in the back.

I have another on my leg (near my ankle) that's almost always visible. I've never had an issue with it at work, but that's probably because its a leaf and vines. People aren't threatened by leaves.

I'm about to add to that one. It's easy enough to cover with pants or darker pantyhose/tights. Or boots.

So, no biggie. Oh yeah. I'm a copy editor. Professional career in a corporate environment.

I often get comments about the one on my back when it's visible. It really is a work of art.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM

26 posts, read 53,103 times
I still don't get it, why would you hide something that you have committed to for the rest of your life?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Cloths.

Jeez, that's gonna drive me crazy all day...

Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
I still don't get it, why would you hide something that you have committed to for the rest of your life?
Well, for one thing, I'd have to be mostly naked for it to be visible, and my office discourages nudity.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Well damn, would you suggest people walk the street naked so people can see their tattoos? I don't get it? You got a thing for naked tattoo'd people?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:

Because perhaps they got it done for THEMSELVES and their own enjoyment and don't need to display it to everyone to enjoy having it?

There are thousands of reasons people do what they do.

Why are you so concerned about it? Is someone important to you thinking of getting tattooed?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I got my first tattoo 10 years ago this past April and I don't regret one bit of the work I have received thus far. Maybe that's because all of mine were well thought out, original and done by professionals. Considering I have 3 award plaques on my wall because of my work I'd say it's pretty good
Well done.

Too damn many people out there with the same dumb tramp stamp, tribal pattern arm band etc. that they got when they were 19 and "just wanting one".

My buddy is pretty heavily tatted but covers them all when working (he works in a high-profile, professional field where that wouldn't fly) and otherwise doesn't bother to cover them.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
This thread has inspired me to have the wifey take some pics of my now-finished 3/4 sleeve and post it in the tattoo appreciation thread. My foot tattoos from last week are already posted there.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Lots of my friends have tattoos and they are quite proud of them. (Like they had to cure cancer to get one!) Funny thing is most of the time no one would know they had a tattoo because they hide them under their clothes so only they see them.

I am confused. If tattoos are so great put them where people can see them. Maybe Mike Tyson with his facial tattoo is the smart one. I say put them where people can see them: face, neck, hands, arms, legs, etc.

I cover the one on my back because it is for me and I don't go around showing my back in public because of how I dress. The one I have on each wrist is only covered when I am doing FaceTime on the iPad with my Mother, I don't want her to see them....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty