Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think many woman would be surprised to hear how men talk about them when there aren't any women around.

Granted, I am a woman, but I've worked in majority male occupations where I'm commonly the only female in the department and they tend to forget I'm a woman. Honestly, most women would be horrified and probably not want to go out in public without a burqa on after they heard some of the stuff that comes out of these men's mouths. If you've ever gone into a workplace that has a group of men working there, I can all but guarantee they have completely torn you apart looks-wise in the most vulgar and crude way.

I agree with you on this. you work in a male environment and I have been around men in groups (as long as they don't find you attractive) they basically will say anything. They have a derogatory name for every single physical 'flaw' that a woman can have too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
B.S. mostly it's the men that say things outright to women that don't look as good. Women never said anything to my face anyways, can't say the same for men. Of course they like to think they're so much nicer -- too bad they're not. Yes, they do the ignore thing as well.
Quote:
I think many woman would be surprised to hear how men talk about them when there aren't any women around.

Granted, I am a woman, but I've worked in majority male occupations where I'm commonly the only female in the department and they tend to forget I'm a woman. Honestly, most women would be horrified and probably not want to go out in public without a burqa on after they heard some of the stuff that comes out of these men's mouths. If you've ever gone into a workplace that has a group of men working there, I can all but guarantee they have completely torn you apart looks-wise in the most vulgar and crude way.
I think many more women would be surprised(and/or) disappointed to know how little they pop up in any of our conversations. Men don't just sit around objectifying women like some sort of hysterical feminist nightmare.

You ladies generalize a bit much. Do men make crude comments about women? Of course. Do they commonly "tear them apart" looks-wise? In all my many professions, including several heavily male, I can only recall one instance of anything like that going on and it was more of a case of insecurity on a young man's part more than anything else. I'm sorry but the "men are pigs" mantra is tired.

And definitely do not blame straight men for what goes on in the fashion industry. If we say we don't find those ultra thin models attractive(which I don't) we have something against skinny women. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Last edited by DTL3000; 09-28-2012 at 10:40 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I think many more women would be surprised(and/or) disappointed to know how little they pop up in any of our conversations. Men don't just sit around objectifying women like some sort of hysterical feminist nightmare.

You ladies generalize a bit much. Do men make crude comments about women? Of course. Do they commonly "tear them apart" looks-wise? In all my many professions, including several heavily male, I can only recall one instance of anything like that going on and it was more of a case of insecurity on a young man's part more than anything else. I'm sorry but the "men are pigs" mantra is tired.

And definitely do not blame straight men for what goes on in the fashion industry. If we say we don't find those ultra thin models attractive(which I don't) we have something against skinny women. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
I don't think anyone is offended that you only find a certain physical type attractive, it's when you start bashing the types you don't care for that you earn the reputation as "pigs".

I can only speak from my perspective as I'm probably more sensitive to any comments, positive or negative, that relate to a physical characteristic that I have, but I've read far more comments from men than women referring to thin women as little boys, men, twigs, sticks, skeletons, bobbble-heads, etc. Maybe these men are being hyperbolic in order to reassure average and plus women of their preferences, but regardless of the reasoning, the result is dismissing millions of women as unworthy.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:

One instance? At my last two jobs this happened almost daily. I was working at an auto dealership (high end, Mercedes/BMW etc.) and it happened multiple times a day to the point of the men giving discounts to the hot women and charging the 'cows' more money for services and parts. They also got in quite a bit of trouble when we moved to a POS system that printed 'vehicle comments' on the customers workorders. Some of the stuff that was printed out was extremely vulgar and crude regarding the owners of these cars. Apparently, female customers (and sometimes their husbands/boyfriends) didn't like their workorder saying things like 'lady is a *****, but has nice ****' or 'give her a discount, she wears shorts skirts and has nice legs' etc.

When I was working at a shop in my late teens/early 20s we had multiple sexual harassment suits from female customers because of the men that worked there. These were older men, oftentimes married, not just young kids.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
One instance? At my last two jobs this happened almost daily. I was working at an auto dealership (high end, Mercedes/BMW etc.) and it happened multiple times a day to the point of the men giving discounts to the hot women and charging the 'cows' more money for services and parts. They also got in quite a bit of trouble when we moved to a POS system that printed 'vehicle comments' on the customers workorders. Some of the stuff that was printed out was extremely vulgar and crude regarding the owners of these cars. Apparently, female customers (and sometimes their husbands/boyfriends) didn't like their workorder saying things like 'lady is a *****, but has nice ****' or 'give her a discount, she wears shorts skirts and has nice legs' etc.

When I was working at a shop in my late teens/early 20s we had multiple sexual harassment suits from female customers because of the men that worked there. These were older men, oftentimes married, not just young kids.
Well, "why didn't you sue the **** out of them for creating a hostile work environment?" is my first response to that.

I have never worked in an environment anywhere close to that and I refuse to believe that that sort of behavior is commonplace, especially nowadays. It sucks that you were subjected to that sort of environment and no one should be.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Well, "why didn't you sue the **** out of them for creating a hostile work environment?" is my first response to that.

I have never worked in an environment anywhere close to that and I refuse to believe that that sort of behavior is commonplace, especially nowadays. It sucks that you were subjected to that sort of environment and no one should be.
Because I knew it was fruitless because they were a large company and had plenty of lawyers. Plus, it's a small town and if I did anything like that I can guarantee I'd be blacklisted from every getting another job around here...I've seen it happen. You have to know when to pick your battles.

I've spoken with a few other mechanic girlfriends of mine and they all have similar stories. Every single one of them.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Because I knew it was fruitless because they were a large company and had plenty of lawyers. Plus, it's a small town and if I did anything like that I can guarantee I'd be blacklisted from every getting another job around here...I've seen it happen. You have to know when to pick your battles.

I've spoken with a few other mechanic girlfriends of mine and they all have similar stories. Every single one of them.
This is all totally unrelated to the original topic, but...

but, but, but

If you had as valid an open and shut case as you've described, all the defendant's lawyers in the world wouldn't have stopped you from getting a decent settlement and changing the way that place does business. I mean seriously...what kind of neanderthals write that type of crap on the work orders(or whatever) that the customers end up seeing?

And if you fear getting blacklisted for doing something so obviously righteous and necessary, why the hell are you even still living in such a craphole? I grew up in a place like that and got the hell out ASAP to escape that sort of mentality.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
This is all totally unrelated to the original topic, but...

but, but, but

If you had as valid an open and shut case as you've described, all the defendant's lawyers in the world wouldn't have stopped you from getting a decent settlement and changing the way that place does business. I mean seriously...what kind of neanderthals write that type of crap on the work orders(or whatever) that the customers end up seeing?

And if you fear getting blacklisted for doing something so obviously righteous and necessary, why the hell are you even still living in such a craphole? I grew up in a place like that and got the hell out ASAP to escape that sort of mentality.
Me and two other girls were thinking about suing, but realized it was a lost cause. I won't go into details here, but it just was.

I'm living in this craphole because I need to make some decisions in my life on where to go. Hopefully I'll be out by the end of the year.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If men prefer curvy women why are most models more thin than curvy?
Because European men prefer thin.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quite the assumption made in the thread title. I don't like curvy women. I prefer thinner women. However, I tend to like taller girls with nice legs so I have a different taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty