Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Can't pull up the Wiki article for some reason, but I always heard it had to do with the no belts rule in prison. Never heard anything about sexual invites. That sounds like an urban legend to me.
This^. As a person who's actually been imprisoned, I can tell you that this is where the fad came from. It did in fact originate in prison but it had nothing to do with inviting one over for sex. Dont know about now but back when I was in prison, inmates were not allowed to wear belts and as a result their pants would sag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I worked at a tire manufacturing plant testing tires. The QA manager had hired the son of a production worker who he was friendly with. This guy shows up in sagging pants- no belt on his first day. He was supposed to be helping me and I politely mentioned he needed to come to work dressed for the job.

He of course put "fashion" above income and continued to show up in sagging pants. He could not do anything that required both hands. After about a week I requested he be removed from my area- he was slowing me down more than helping. At first the manager wanted to keep him on but other issues (sleeping on the job) finally convinced the manager to let him go.

It was funny to watch him try to work one handed. I told him to roll a tire (130lb truck/bus tire on a 175lb test rim) up to a test room. He almost got crushed by the thing, had to use both hands to prevent it and his trousers dropped around his ankles. Freaking idiot.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Even funnier when it's guys sagging the tighter, slimmest jeans jeans you can possibly buy.
I've only noticed that very recently. Yep, pretty funny!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Another example of why fashion is generally STUPID
2nd best post in the thread.

People are giving rational reasons why sagging is stupid, but fashion isn't rational.

What's rational about hight heals?
What's rational about a tie and jacket?
What's rational about any fashion?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
2nd best post in the thread.

People are giving rational reasons why sagging is stupid, but fashion isn't rational.

What's rational about hight heals?
What's rational about a tie and jacket?
What's rational about any fashion?

A tie and jacket? I'm pretty sure men have worn ties (or some kind) and a jacket for a VERY long time. It has nothing to do with fashion, but with looking like a proper gentleman.

I have a feeling you just have some issues with "management" types and white collar people who generally have a 'jacket and tie' as their uniform.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I have a feeling you just have some issues with "management" types and white collar people who generally have a 'jacket and tie' as their uniform.
I have a feeling that you are a block of cheese gnawing on a mouse.
Quote:
It has nothing to do with fashion, but with looking like a proper gentleman.

That's pretty much the definition of fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriam-webster
social standing or prominence especially as signalized by dress or conduct
Quote:
a tie and jacket? I'm pretty sure men have worn ties (or some kind) and a jacket for a VERY long time.
Yes. A tie and a jacket. What is the sense in wearing a jacket when it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity? It's just as asinine as wearing pants that you have to hold up.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Yes. A tie and a jacket. What is the sense in wearing a jacket when it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity? It's just as asinine as wearing pants that you have to hold up.

It's called...some of us have real jobs!!!

might check it out sometime...

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
A tie and jacket? I'm pretty sure men have worn ties (or some kind) and a jacket for a VERY long time. It has nothing to do with fashion, but with looking like a proper gentleman.

This is because people have become use to seeing this. Look at a tie for example. In reality its just a peice of cloth that hangs from your neck. What's the point and what is so professional looking about it? People have just become accustomed to seeing business professionals wearing it therefore it's automatically labeled as a "professional look".

Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
It's called...some of us have real jobs!!!

might check it out sometime...
Such depth of thought you display.

I can assure you that I have a real job and in performing that job I don't have to wear an asinine uniform.

Now that that idiocy is dealt with...can you address any of the points I made without beating your chest because you collect a paycheck and wear a uniform just as a McDonald's drive-thru employee does?

How does wearing a jacket in the summer time help you perform your job better?
How does wrapping a tie around your neck help you perform your job better?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Such depth of thought you display.

I can assure you that I have a real job and in performing that job I don't have to wear an asinine uniform.

Now that that idiocy is dealt with...can you address any of the points I made without beating your chest because you collect a paycheck and wear a uniform just as a McDonald's drive-thru employee does?

How does wearing a jacket in the summer time help you perform your job better?
How does wrapping a tie around your neck help you perform your job better?

I don't know....
how does wearing shoes in the summer time help you perform your job better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty