Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I think there is a preference for darker hair, larger posteriors, exotic features, fuller lips, and yes, a more "ethnic" as opposed to WASP look that ruled i the 60s, 70s. and 80s.

i.e. Straight silky lighter hair, smaller more sculpted lips and noses, and more delicate features.

I have a niece with naturally dark blond straight hair, who dies it black and has gotten something in her lips to make the more full.

She does a work out to make her but LARGER.

Things have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times
Figuratively-- I would say our tastebuds have evolved over time. Blondes/Blue continue to hold a slice within the beauty pie chart however, the slice appears smaller from past decades. The term "Exotic" seems to be tossed around liberally; I have always enjoyed dark hair, darker toned skin, and curves (larger and small).

I have never ruled out anyone solely because of their Blonde/blues; heck I love ALL women but I find myself drawn to Middle-eastern and latin women.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes and no. We have changes a little bit, and a certain type of ethnic is in style right now. But it is still pretty exclusionary, and "white centric."

We have now deemed "exotic" ethnic women are in style. Dark hair, dark eyes, "dark skin." But not too dark. In fact, barely darker than your average white person.

Technically, Padma Lakshmi represents this new "beautiful" as well as Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Vergara and Kim Kardashian but she doesn't get nearly the same amount of hype for her beauty. I wonder why?
because of the plain fact that Padma Lakshmi isn't actually that attractive? Something mannish about her face compared to all the others you cite who are very, very female.

Now Freida Pinto - wow.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
because of the plain fact that Padma Lakshmi isn't actually that attractive? Something mannish about her face compared to all the others you cite who are very, very female.

Now Freida Pinto - wow.
I think Padma is really attractive. And Freida Pinto as well, and isn't seen at the same level as these other "exotic" beauties. Here is the deal, only some "exotic" women are considered the epitome of the "new beauty." And it excludes other people that look like that. For example, the 8 billion Indian women out there. (Not even talking about the other 8 billion chinese women......). It also excludes most of the women of the middle east/arab world even though to be frank, their looks is just like the popular Latinas (Kim Kardashian excluded of course, but she is half white anyway)

Basically "exotic" is akin to white + socially acceptable other country (maybe Latin America or Spain or Italy). And not very inclusive. That's my point here.

Western Standards are very much framed by "whiteness." (Not even going to go into colorism and how the dynamic blonds vs brunettes excludes black women etc.)

This sums it up perfectly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I do agree that's whats the hot look right now. The half Brazilian half Swedish look. It may not be all inclusive, but it's a step in the right direction in terms of this country accepting something "ethnic".

Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelAgain View Post
right now the beauty standard (not what you or I might find attractive but what most people find attractive) is

Women: Blondes with blue eyes and nice bodies

Men: White males from places like Spain and Italy

Do you think this will pretty much remain the same for years to come or will it change?
Beauty "standards" only change because so many humans believe what they see on television, on the internet, in newspapers and in magazines is the TRUTH.
It is a bunch of marketing bull hockey that sucks people in for their money and has nothing to do with actual beauty which is truly skin deep, even with fake inserts and plastic "beauty".....pppfffttt

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think Padma is really attractive. And Freida Pinto as well, and isn't seen at the same level as these other "exotic" beauties. Here is the deal, only some "exotic" women are considered the epitome of the "new beauty." And it excludes other people that look like that. For example, the 8 billion Indian women out there. (Not even talking about the other 8 billion chinese women......). It also excludes most of the women of the middle east/arab world even though to be frank, their looks is just like the popular Latinas (Kim Kardashian excluded of course, but she is half white anyway)

Basically "exotic" is akin to white + socially acceptable other country (maybe Latin America or Spain or Italy). And not very inclusive. That's my point here.

Western Standards are very much framed by "whiteness." (Not even going to go into colorism and how the dynamic blonds vs brunettes excludes black women etc.)

This sums it up perfectly:
When women who look dudish become the new beauty standard, thats when I'll start worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty