Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times

Advertisements

I always have. I always like bright, sparkly and flashy things from a young age.

I have a twin sister and my mom used to pretty much dress in the same clothing for many years but I would find a way to be different.

I remember my mom gave us the choice of the same style boots to wear, and they were the same cut and color but I insisted on the one of the sparkly buckles. My sister got the regular ones with the plain buckles.

I must have been no more than 5, but I remember mom taking us to a neighbor's event and people noticing that we were pretty much dressed in the same outfit but my boots had the sparkly, flashy buckles.

"Candice must like attention," my neighbor said disapprovingly.

22 years later and I still like over the top things and things that sparkle. I wish I had told that old lady when I was 5 to stuff it.

In addition, I've never really like casual clothing or jeans. Sometimes I will wear jeans if I can dress them up, but I always kind of look...well...dressed up. I was teased mercilessly for that in high school.

Even still, people ask me, where are you going all dressed up like that? I'm like, uhhhh...nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Mostly. I have gone through quite a few phases.

Apparently, when I was a kid I was little miss girly. I only liked to wear dresses. I even liked heels!

At some point, around age 9 or so, I decided pants were OK.

I wasn't really into lots of embellishment. Sparkly wasn't my thing at all. I liked more abstract and graphic prints. No flowers.

By middle school I fell into a preppy look. Jeans, striped tops, polo shirts, cardigans, plaid skirts, color blocking, tailored basics, vests borrowed from my dad, mary janes, oxfords......

Every once in a while I'd detour into another look with an outfit or too, but that wouldn't last long. (Like baby doll dresses) I did like to wear skirts with low rise tennis shoes. One of my favorite looks in high school. I had a whole ton of those simple basic tennies. And wore different ones daily. Or knock-off keds.

By college, I went through a sporty phase. Mostly preppy, but then other days I would wear the college student uniform of track pants, addidas, tank top and a hoodie. And sometimes a basketball jersey. I will say it was very interesting how different types or men would be interested in me during the sport phase. This lasted for around a year or year and a half. I was 50% dressed up and 50% slacker. I ditched the heels in college. My campus was hilly and we did a ton of walking. It just wasn't practical. I was addicted to pointy toed flats (and my adidas cleats for casual days).

Later in college (junior/senior years) I found my uniform and color palette. This was a "boring" phase for me. I wore lots of boot cut pants (ah the 90s), ponte skirts, pencil skirts, midi length pencil skirts, knits, and button downs. I pretty much only wore purple, grey, black, jeans (dark denim only), mauve, lavender, light blue and khaki.

This color palette continued into my mid 20s. But I then added light pink. I swapped out the shapes a bit, ditched the long skirts and wore lots of pencil skirts.

So now, I am still pretty preppy, and stick with the classics. My go to items: pencil skirts, cardigans, printed dresses, solid tees and tanks, printed tops, and skinny jeans. I still like the graphic prints and abstract florals are OK too. Typical outfit for me? Dress + cardigan. Skirt + top + cardigan, or pants + top + cardigan. The solid tees and tanks are layering pieces for the knits + legging days. My uniform basically requires no thought. I have no problem pairing a couple of random colors together. The cool thing is, almost any combo works. Purple/turquoise. Mustard and turquoise, red orange and turquoise, fuchsia and mustard, fuchsia and electric blue. I am still working on mixing patterns. This is out of my box.

Aside from the pencil skirts, I don't wear many tailored pieces. There are 2 main problems for me on fitting blazers: I am busty and I have a short torso. Petite blazers might fit me properly at the waist, but the arms are too short. Many of them don't button and I'd need to go up a few sizes to get the fit. And then the shoulders and waist are too big. It also feels a little too stuffy for me. So I basically have that one suit that shows up for an interview and I never wear it. I don't really ever need to wear a suit so it isn't necessary to build a wardrobe around those pieces. And I have explored alterations, and well it would cost me around $100 to get the alterations I'd need on a typical jacket, considering it wouldn't get much wear, it isn't worth it to me to get that perfect fitting jacket. I do have a couple of atypical blazers I wear occasionally for a different look.

I have widened my color palette and pretty much wear only brights (with neutral accents). I still like flats, but I finally allowed round toe ones into my wardrobe in the past couple of years. I do veer off a tiny bit from my preppy look into some "california casual" but I tend to be dressed up most of the time. I might wear leggings and a knit top on a casual day. With my flats.

As for the heels? I only wear them when there isn't going to be much walking involved.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Yes. I always wear clothes when out in public and they're always neat, clean and the colors don't clash. My only adiornments are a watch and a wedding band.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,209 times
I've never been very girly. I hates pink and purple as a kid and still do, really. I suppose I go through phases. In high school I wore jeans, converse, and band tshirts. I've transitioned to more timeless pieces I can dress up or down. Very rarely do I wear dresses, skirts,or heels.

I scroll through my Facebook feed and I see some of these fashion bloggers and I think to myself, some of these girls need some creative and color aesthetic. You can't mix leopard print with another print. Now I love leopard when it's not jersey shore style, and I love neon and bright colors but it has to match.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Nope. I was a tomboy growing up with either shorts or jeans and a t shirt and a hoodie. Now? Same thing. Many of my t shirts are skater or surfer. Most often you will see me in my Harley boots but today I had on tennis shoes because we were up in the mountains..

I do have a few dress clothes but I don't care for them and my more female type stuff is really pretty plain colored. I don't like many patterns and really, the past year or more, I have tried to step out of my normal box and buy more feminine clothing.

I even bought 2 dresses over the summer. I wore one once. Ah well.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I've never been very girly. I hates pink and purple as a kid and still do, really. I suppose I go through phases. In high school I wore jeans, converse, and band tshirts. I've transitioned to more timeless pieces I can dress up or down. Very rarely do I wear dresses, skirts,or heels.

I scroll through my Facebook feed and I see some of these fashion bloggers and I think to myself, some of these girls need some creative and color aesthetic. You can't mix leopard print with another print. Now I love leopard when it's not jersey shore style, and I love neon and bright colors but it has to match.
Says who?

I suppose I've always had a personal style, but by no means has it been the same my whole life. If I had to give my style an overarching theme, I'd call it practical feminine. Pretty and put together, but comfortable and casual. Effortless.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Says who?

I suppose I've always had a personal style, but by no means has it been the same my whole life. If I had to give my style an overarching theme, I'd call it practical feminine. Pretty and put together, but comfortable and casual. Effortless.
That's hideous to me, designer or not.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
That's hideous to me, designer or not.
Eh, some people can't handle adventurous fashion. A lot of people are only comfortable staying inside the box.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Yes.

Since I did a lot of work on the ranch growing up and was raising livestock, up milking goats at 4am 7 days a week and exercising horses in my spare time I was mostly in wranglers, Ariats and plain tshirts in high school. I always had a little flair though, like my awesome pink mohawk My mom wasn't amused because after I shaved my head and subsequently grew the mohawk and dyed it bright pink one of my chickens won best in show at our local county fair and my picture was on the front page of the county paper, pink hair and all

After high school I did what every pseudo-punk kid did and went rockabilly. I've been dressing in vintage style since then and lately have been spending more time on makeup/hair/dressing since I have the extra time now. Lots of victory rolls, liquid eyeliner, red lipstick and I bought a new pair of cat eye glasses for my poor, failing eyes. Basically, I'll wear anything from this site: pinupgirlclothing.com

So, I'd say my style has been vintage ecclectic.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM

238 posts, read 227,392 times
My style is all over the place, just like my mood and personality. I've always been an if it's cute I'll get it I'll figure out a way to make it work and I do. Everything from Hello Kitty Razorbacks Tee and perfectly faded Levis (that were worn out over time, not bought that way) for game day to all glammed up. Often it is a mix of casual and stylish, my friends used to tease me and say Denim & Diamonds was named for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty