Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
That's great and all but no one cares what you think or say.

Sounds like someone else is the insecure one trying to find some company.
Really? Then there wouldn't be any responses in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Really? Then there wouldn't be any responses in this thread.
I don't know why you care so much.
Misery loves company, right?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, when I worked in the purchasing department/back office for a machine company I rarely saw anyone in my day to day workings, beside the two older women I worked with. I actually dressed up more at that job than I did at any other. I think it's because I felt more comfortable trying new styles and not being 'judged' by others so I felt like I could branch out a bit. If I wanted to wear 5" heels and a pencil skirt with red lipstick I didn't have to worry about getting leered at or any rude comments.

When I saw people on a regular basis I dressed down because I needed to 'fit in' and not stick out.

I dress up more when I'm just hanging around the house than when I go out.
If there is pressure to dress down I would say that's one of the single worst things about U.S culture. It's all part of what I consider the war on beauty. There are forces that want women to look as plain as can be. I'm not sure if this is coming from the feminist left or if Muslim values are creeping into our culture. Those who make the rude comments have an agenda. They truly hate female beauty and are threatened by it.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Kim Kardashian: I Dress Better When Boyfriend Kanye West Is Around - UsMagazine.com

I found this to be ironic considering this thread.
Personally, I think Kim Kardashian is trash, and she is the exact type of woman who is insecure, dresses for attention, has to always have a man/man's approval, not a rolemodel for anyone. At all.

I also think make up is meant to enhance your features... not turn you into a completely different looking person.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Kim Kardashian: I Dress Better When Boyfriend Kanye West Is Around - UsMagazine.com

I found this to be ironic considering this thread.
Personally, I think Kim Kardashian is trash, and she is the exact type of woman who is insecure, dresses for attention, has to always have a man/man's approval, not a rolemodel for anyone. At all.

I also think make up is meant to enhance your features... not turn you into a completely different looking person.
I completely disagree. Kanye is putting her in a ton of ill-fitting clothing. Her outfits are so hit and miss these days. Sh did have a really cute period a few years ago where she went on a lady-like/classy kick. And then she dumped her stylist and let Kanye treat her like a Barbie doll.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM

467 posts, read 664,945 times
I dress for myself, but I wear things I know other people will approve of. What I like I know others will too.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
I don't know why you care so much.
Misery loves company, right?
Not sure why any OP wouldn't care somewhat about their own thread, but to answer your question, I'm not miserable, and I doubt the other respondents are. They're giving their input. I'm surprised you're still responding, considering you "don't care." You're not obligated to continue posting if you disagree.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
But you admitted you needed to change your style to suit others, by "fitting in." That's still an example of dressing for others or caring what others think.
I can see where you're coming from, but you have to understand where I live. I live in a rural community with a university attached. Most people dress like they just rolled out of bed and when you dress up and it's not Friday or Saturday night there is a MUCH higher likelihood of being harassed. I've had friend get beat up for wearing the 'wrong thing' in the 'wrong area' by a bunch of redneck cowboys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If there is pressure to dress down I would say that's one of the single worst things about U.S culture. It's all part of what I consider the war on beauty. There are forces that want women to look as plain as can be. I'm not sure if this is coming from the feminist left or if Muslim values are creeping into our culture. Those who make the rude comments have an agenda. They truly hate female beauty and are threatened by it.
I can agree with that, but I think it's mostly because if you spend an hour or two getting ready you're seen as shallow and not spending your time wisely. In the US I've noticed that you're really only given respect if you work your buns off and make money, it seems like nothing else matters. So to spend that time being frivolous is seen as a negative. Spending money on nice clothing and makeup is seen as a bad investment.

Beauty is fine, but if you spend too much time on it when there are 'better' things to do, you will be looked down on.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Not sure why any OP wouldn't care somewhat about their own thread, but to answer your question, I'm not miserable, and I doubt the other respondents are. They're giving their input. I'm surprised you're still responding, considering you "don't care." You're not obligated to continue posting if you disagree.

Thanks for the obvious

Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
So your point is to make a blanket statement and categorize all women as the stereotypical attention *****? no thanks. I dress for myself. Always have and always will. That's how I got my mr right. Sure I wear clothes he likes but they are clothes that are me, not me trying to be someone else to get his attention. No, it's not natural.

I don't like attention. I don't dress to get attention. I don't need approval from anyone but myself. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. women who dress to get attention have some insecurities about themselves.sure, it's nice to get compliments but my self esteem doesn't need it and I surely don't Have to dress to get compliments. So like you said, you can think im lying to myself but I'm not.

I just can't help but feel sorry for these types of women who constantly need validation.
The bolded part sort of solidifies the OP's point. You dress for yourself but that's how you got Mr. Right? Seems like a contradiction. Not saying you're lying to yourself or anyone else, but perhaps you can see how the OP has a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I get annoyed and angry with women when they say dumb things like they wouldn't care what their boyfriend/husband likes on them.
I see this a lot with jealous husbands or boyfriends who criticize something their S.O. is wearing, they accuse them of seeking attention from other men if they dress sexy when out in public without their spouse, and the wife will typically deny any such thing. But why else would a woman leave the house wearing something displaying cleavage or her thighs if she didn't care what men thought one way or the other? I don't buy it when a woman says she isn't dressing for a man's attention when she's rocking cleavage, tight clothes or lots of leg. Not saying she's a dishonest person by nature, but probably not as self-aware as she thinks.

If a dude walks around in tank tops to show off his muscles or wears clothing that accentuates his good qualities more than likely there is some element of wanting or seeking attention from women and get a leg up on the competition. Whether he'll admit it or not is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
No, and that's extremely sad, in my opinion. God makes us all exactly as He intends to make us, and those who believe as you state (which are almost all) are ignoring that fact.

I've wanted to lose weight before but it's only because the more weight I carry, the harder it is for me to get around the way I want to be able to.

Because, deep down, we all know we shouldn't care about what others think. We don't want to care... but at the same time we don't want to be harassed or denied opportunities either. Were it not for that, nobody would care.

The lesson is... we need to stop harassing others for their looks, and denying them opportunities for their looks. Nobody is "ugly", anyway.
First bolded statement: so you're saying that if someone is obese it's because God made them that way? No personal accountability?

Second bolded statement: tell that to the fashion industry, media, and all those kids who were taunted and picked on in childhood. In a perfect world no one is ugly, we do not live in a perfect world. The world holds a fairly universal agreement on what constitutes physical beauty. It would be naive to believe otherwise.

Quote:
That's great and all but no one cares what you think or say.

Sounds like someone else is the insecure one trying to find some company.
Obviously people do, that's why we have a thread with lots of opinions including your own. I don't think the OP is insecure at all, in fact, quite the opposite. She's willing to admit something that most women aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
You make a valid point. There is a segment of society that wants women to play down their beauty and be more humble. Often it's other women who can't or don't want to compete with the hottie for whatever purpose, be it a promotion at work, attention at parties, or fear that their S.O. has a wandering eye and they don't want them gawking at other beautiful women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty