Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
That is awesome!

Trying to decide between a schoolgirl and a gypsy costume.
Do gypsy, definitely gypsy. These days, a lot of ladies see Halloween as an excuse to dress provocatively, and the schoolgirl in the skirt and pigtails is pretty cliche by this point. A gypsy costume, on the other hand, gives you so much more to work with, there's a lot of details you can work in, and you'll stand out.

As for myself, I'm probably going as a witch hunter/vampire hunter. Crucifix, long cloak, maybe a fake crossbow, something cool like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,161 times
Default Dressing up for Halloween

I'm trying to come with something at the last minute for tomorrow (Friday). A friend thought that she had an Indian princess costume but couldn't find it. Same thing with her Mardi Gras masks.

Whatever I come up with needs to be based around a black eyelet dress with a full skirt, a shawl and beaded high heels. I wish I had a mantilla and some castanets. There isn't time to go looking -- just enough time to pick up a mask somewhere as a last resort.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Lloyd Dobler from "Say Anything". Hey, I'm a child of the 80s.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,368 times
I am going as a prom queen. I may get a crown from Burger King.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Do gypsy, definitely gypsy. These days, a lot of ladies see Halloween as an excuse to dress provocatively, and the schoolgirl in the skirt and pigtails is pretty cliche by this point. A gypsy costume, on the other hand, gives you so much more to work with, there's a lot of details you can work in, and you'll stand out.

As for myself, I'm probably going as a witch hunter/vampire hunter. Crucifix, long cloak, maybe a fake crossbow, something cool like that.
That's a good point. I actually see a lot of girls trying to pull off the schoolgirl look when it's NOT Halloween, so you can just imagine how many more schoolgirl outfits there will be ON halloween.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times
Aaah, I love that so many people are dressing up! I know way too many people who have zero spirit for the holiday.

A favorite past costume, my boyfriend and I dressed as the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend from The Venture Bros. The only problem was when I wasn't standing next to him people thought I was a flight attendant. They weren't the brightest bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I'm trying to come with something at the last minute for tomorrow (Friday). A friend thought that she had an Indian princess costume but couldn't find it. Same thing with her Mardi Gras masks.

Whatever I come up with needs to be based around a black eyelet dress with a full skirt, a shawl and beaded high heels. I wish I had a mantilla and some castanets. There isn't time to go looking -- just enough time to pick up a mask somewhere as a last resort.

Any ideas are appreciated!
I could be picturing this wrong, but what about a gypsy fortune teller? You'd just need a scarf to tie on your head and some sort of crystal ball.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
I haven't dressed up for halloween since I was 8. LOL

I always kinda found it to be a pain. Finding the costume or mother whining about having to sew one. Halloween was always just...annoying. I never really cared for any of the costumes because I never got to pick them. It was a big "so what" to me.

Then adult life brought the skank costume pollution that just discouraged attending any party invites. I hate those freaking things. And there always a massive amount of people wearing ones they should not be wearing.
10lb sugar , 5lb bag...pass.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I made an oversized papier mache Dia de los Muertos mask that I'm going to wear...assuming I can manage to add a few more air holes to it. It has rhinestones for the teeth and around the eyes, and huge tissue paper flowers and a black lace veil in the back.

Most years I'm really busy with the kids' costumes and don't have time to make anything for myself, but this year I needed a project to keep my mind off of things, and the mask was it. There's something really satisfying about working with papier mache...for one thing, I recycled all of my junk mail for the last month.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
I am a Witch everyday wearing what I wear normally so no changes necessary.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am a Witch everyday wearing what I wear normally so no changes necessary.
You must lead an eventful life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty