Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, the only one I have left in my life is my wife. My mother, both grandmothers, all aunts and two mothers-in-law all died many, many years ago. Hmmm! Wonder if it was something I said.

I'm really not flippant about it. The real down-side is the fact that when I have a childhood memory I just can't put my finger on, there's no one to ask. Being, now, the patriarch can leave a lot to be desired.
I have one aunt left and one uncle left both in their 70's. I never think of my aunt as old....because she is so young!

I don't think I would dare have ever taken my mothers clothes and thrown them out.

I even ask my bf if he cares if I throw out a pair of socks of his with a hole. I do know that is ridiculous but I had a shirt thrown away of mine and it was upsetting!

To anyone else looking at it, I agree, it was trash. It was one of my fathers old long john shirts and I used to sleep in it. It was so filled with holes it was not even funny. I lost my dad in 1995 so I am not getting him back or his shirt. Somehow the shirt just made me feel closer to him.

I would think about something like that before throwing anyones anything away. I know the socks are fine. Not talking about that.

What looks to be meaningless to one person may very well be a treasure to another, whether no one else knows it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Which might mean that she doesn't want to show her anger at you because the next time, you might even throw away more stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Does this mean you may be pulling and tossing something she actually does like? Or does she just hate everything in her wardrobe and waits for it to be pulled and tossed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Why not just ask her before you toss something? That way, there's no possibility of throwing away something she'll miss.
My mom has a LOT of clothes. Multiple closets full of clothes. Nothing ever gets tossed if I don't toss it. She has things hanging in her closets from the 80s, 90s and on with tags still attached and never worn (and will not be worn).

Yes, I edit my mother's wardrobe.
No, I do not tell her before I do it.
No, I am not tossing things of sentimental value.
Yes, if my mother was mad at me for tossing anything she would most certainly let me know.
Yes, if there is something that I have tossed that she wants she can pull it out of the bag I prepared for the Salvation Army.
No, I am not "tossing" her expensive St. John knits or Chanel items (or anything of that nature)...I may "borrow" them though
Yes, I am tossing things that are beyond dated, dated and never worn and/or really unflattering.
Yes, she loves having me style her.
Yes, even though she is more than capable she has me do a lot of her shopping for her wardrobe now. Yes, she LOVES the attention and compliments that she gets on outfits that I pull for her.
Yes, my mom has ALWAYS been a very stylish woman.
Yes, she has "pulled and tossed" from my wardrobe as well.
No, I did not get mad when she "pulled and tossed" from my wardrobe because I respect her opinion about what is or isn't flattering on me.
Yes, I will often get rid of items that she says are not flattening on me.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have one aunt left and one uncle left both in their 70's. I never think of my aunt as old....because she is so young!

I don't think I would dare have ever taken my mothers clothes and thrown them out.

I even ask my bf if he cares if I throw out a pair of socks of his with a hole. I do know that is ridiculous but I had a shirt thrown away of mine and it was upsetting!

To anyone else looking at it, I agree, it was trash. It was one of my fathers old long john shirts and I used to sleep in it. It was so filled with holes it was not even funny. I lost my dad in 1995 so I am not getting him back or his shirt. Somehow the shirt just made me feel closer to him.

I would think about something like that before throwing anyones anything away. I know the socks are fine. Not talking about that.

What looks to be meaningless to one person may very well be a treasure to another, whether no one else knows it or not.
This is the point. I had a rather tatty plaid shirt I liked to wear. It was my dad's, and he was gone. Clothes are very personal since they were next to skin and part of the image of a person. It dissapeared in a move, but I ended up finding one that looked like it later.

What is meaningful to one person may well be junk to someone else, but that one person has the right to possess it.

It may be connected to a person or a memory or just simply be an item a person really likes, but its crossing *boundries* to just toss it without finding out.

My mother, when I was a kid, would not have gone through my clothes and 'tossed', stuff that didn't fit aside. And when I decided to pick my own, she didn't put back the pretty dresses (though she kept some of them for herself).

Either mom never established boundries with the daughter, so the daughter doesn't understand what they are, or mom isn't willing to speak up. But the problem ISN'T about clothes.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
Jane Fonda was asked "how do you look so young", she replied "money"

Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You are posting the wealthy, cream of the crop. Most have had cosmetic surgery too. Few women in their 30s and 40s look as good as the women you pictured.
Exactly. How delusional to think most women their ages look like that.

Can we say cosmetic surgery? How about boatloads of money to buy nice clothes, haircuts, accessories and ... cosmetic surgery.

There are very few women who naturally look anywhere near those women in real life.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Exactly. How delusional to think most women their ages look like that.

Can we say cosmetic surgery? How about boatloads of money to buy nice clothes, haircuts, accessories and ... cosmetic surgery.

There are very few women who naturally look anywhere near those women in real life.
Most of those women don't naturally look anywhere near those women in real life. Even with all the surgery, scrape away the face paint and you wouldn't recognize them.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
I often wonder if they look the same as i do in the morning, after all we all come up good with a little bit of makeup and a hairdo.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I often wonder if they look the same as i do in the morning, after all we all come up good with a little bit of makeup and a hairdo.
You probably look better than many of them.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 PM

633 posts, read 1,011,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread, so I just wanted to say that older women can wear anything they want to and look great.

Older women can wear animal prints.

62 yr old Anna Winotour

Older women (well middle-aged IMO) can wear sparkly daytime looks and jeans.

Older women can wear cropped skinny jeans.

Innes de la Fressange - 55

Older women can wear leather jackets.

Older women can have long hair.

Franca Sozzani - age 62

Older women can wear cool boots.

Older women can wear bold patterns.

Older women can wear a leather mini ---ha!

Jane Fonda 74

Older women can wear a big purse.

Annie Lennox 57

Older women can break rules: long hair, animal prints, tight skirt....

Jerry Hall 56

Older women can look hot in mens wear.

Kim Basinger 58

And wear sexy stilettos.
Patti Labelle 67

Older women can be hipsters.

Patti Hansen 56

...and wear leather pants.

Older women can still be bad-a**.

And so on. Older women are not what your grandma used to look like !
Please. I agree to a certain extent. To a certain extent, leather pants? Really? Who is trying to prove something, why? what?

Your post should read "OLDER THIN WOMEN" who probably who have lots of money to hire trainers and get plastic surgery whenever they want to ...not REAL average American women work for a living.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Please. I agree to a certain extent. To a certain extent, leather pants? Really? Who is trying to prove something, why? what?

Your post should read "OLDER THIN WOMEN" who probably who have lots of money to hire trainers and get plastic surgery whenever they want to ...not REAL average American women work for a living.
What's wrong with a 56-yr old wearing leather pants if she/he feels like it? As long as you have the figure for it. I think Patti Hansen looks great in hers.

As I've already said, if you look at the entire thread, there are photos of women who are not slim. Many of the women are over age 65 so no they don't work for a living, they're probably retired.

And just what does a "real" average American woman look like?

Also, slimness (or obesity) is a choice (except for a minority with thyroid problems or something like that.). You don't need a personal trainer to be slim, you just need to get off the couch and eat less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty